Reason for CTX 3030 leaking IMHO

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should not use petroleum based products on the rubber gaskets. Use a silicone grease.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my opinion also, Chuck aka Seeker41.

Failures usually are higher on a new design, especially when the design is revolutionary. as these designs have not been proven in the field.
For example compare the failures on the AT Pro (a revolutionary design) when it came to those of the Ace 350 having evolved from the Ace (100, 150. 250), IIRC.
It takes time for the manufacturer to identify the unforeseen design flaws / problems from the failure history and make the necessary changes.

This is the cost that one pays for being at the cutting edge, it is unreasonable to expect that there will be no problems just because the detector costs more,
As the complexity of any detector increase, there is more that can go wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I don't think its temp related, they are failing/leaking in warm water locations. what is minelabs official response to this common problem, anyone know? if you have had the problem and sent it in for repair please let everyone know minelabs comments.
chuck.

When I talked to a USA minelab tech his answer was user error. Not cleaning sand off and not placing oring in properly. I don't believe it myself. Could be the cause in some cases but the oring is so thin it's ridiculous. Just getting it out to clean is a pain. I think it is just best to keep it out of the waves for now. I went in yesterday one two foot wave broke of my armrest. Minelab sending me the big plastic screw for it. Hard to sweep that shaft in water also. Best wet sand machine by far so what can ya do.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB beachrat response to water leaking into the battery compartment:
When I talked to a USA minelab tech his answer was user error. Not cleaning sand off and not placing oring in properly. I don't believe it myself.

Is Minelab repairing damaged CTX 3030 detectors as a result of water leaks under warranty?

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
MB beachrat response to water leaking into the battery compartment:
When I talked to a USA minelab tech his answer was user error. Not cleaning sand off and not placing oring in properly. I don't believe it myself.

Is Minelab repairing damaged CTX 3030 detectors as a result of water leaks under warranty?

All the guys I know got new machines. One also got his wrist slapped.

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Minelab is full of it. Mine leaked 2 times and I am EXTREMELY cautious when it comes to seals. So, maybe some were user error...but their design is less then flawless.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab is full of it. Mine leaked 2 times and I am EXTREMELY cautious when it comes to seals. So, maybe some were user error...but their design is less then flawless.

Minelab admits it is an issue or flaw. They will be coming up with a fix. Don't have it out in 100 degrees then go into 65 degree water.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
When I talked to a USA minelab tech his answer was user error. Not cleaning sand off and not placing oring in properly. I don't believe it myself. Could be the cause in some cases but the oring is so thin it's ridiculous. Just getting it out to clean is a pain. I think it is just best to keep it out of the waves for now. I went in yesterday one two foot wave broke of my armrest. Minelab sending me the big plastic screw for it. Hard to sweep that shaft in water also. Best wet sand machine by far so what can ya do.

Second time I talked to minelab they admit it has issues with leaking. I am impressed with Minelab now. They are on top of things and taking care of every body. Still finding more with this then CTX then any other machine i have owned by far in shallow surf and wet sand.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of people down on Minelab, and I guess it's understandable due to the higher price range of their products and accessories, repairs, etc. However, they are still the industry leader by a long shot and there's a reason for that. These other companies need to introduce something radically different and step up their game in an effort to present some serious challenge for more of the market share. Just my opinion.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second time I talked to minelab they admit it has issues with leaking. I am impressed with Minelab now. They are on top of things and taking care of every body. Still finding more with this then CTX then any other machine i have owned by far in shallow surf and wet sand.

if they are acknowledging there is a design problem causing leaks and not claiming user error I am very impressed!!!!!!!
chuck.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of people down on Minelab, and I guess it's understandable due to the higher price range of their products and accessories, repairs, etc. However, they are still the industry leader by a long shot and there's a reason for that. These other companies need to introduce something radically different and step up their game in an effort to present some serious challenge for more of the market share. Just my opinion.

Yep, it's going to take a major leap in technology to make the jump ahead of Minelab. They have the best beach machine, best gold hunter, and best coin hunter. Are a huge stride ahead of everyone else.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's going to take a major leap in technology to make the jump ahead of Minelab. They have the best beach machine, best gold hunter, and best coin hunter. Are a huge stride ahead of everyone else.
Looks like we have the answer to that age old question"Which is the best detector" Its Minelab. :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not happy with the cost of Minelab's machines, parts, repairs, etc., either, however, I can't tell you how many new Excals & CTX's that I'm seeing on my area beaches just this year alone, but it's quite a few compared to other makes. The sad part, I really think some of these other companies are capable of creating the technological challenge if they would just risk it and set their sights on it. Then again, maybe not. :dontknow:

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.

Happens in warm water too (Miami beach Warm)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread