Reason for CTX 3030 leaking IMHO

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.

Upvote 0

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or people are using Grease which has sand sticking to it.
Or Users not cleaning the Gasket correctly.
But I am all for a thicker gasket if the clamps can still close well and tighter.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Rain proof", that's basically what " 10 foot waterproof " means. You have to think about the forces at work. How much pressure is on the detector at it's max rated depth? That's 4.2 pounds of pressure above the atmospheric. That's what the CTX is rated for in a STATIC environment. Now start pushing is around under water, have waves roll over you. How much extra water pressure is the detector experiencing? I bet you could have more than 4.2 pounds at the surface from just a wave. Add in the possibility of a hair or grain of sand on the seal and it's a leak looking for an opportunity.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Jason I always agreed with a wave creating more pressure then 10' under. the rinse off with the hose can cause more pressure. Some of these leaks were old guys waist deep in the bay. No way the gave the 10' under pressure.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you mustn't have been around long enough.
There where quite a few leaks and problems with Excals and other detectors. Search the forums they should still be around.

Just to many leaks for user error. CZ 21 and Excalibur, All the PIs not this kind of problem. This is just waist deep hunting. They need a fix or they should call it rain proof.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They'll correct the issue...but quite often these things take time, especially if the change requires tooling changes in the molds to accommodate an upgraded seal package, etc. I'm sure they'll correct the issue in time as I doubt that they really want to lose that much of the machine market it was intended for. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Rain proof", that's basically what " 10 foot waterproof " means. You have to think about the forces at work. How much pressure is on the detector at it's max rated depth? That's 4.2 pounds of pressure above the atmospheric. That's what the CTX is rated for in a STATIC environment. Now start pushing is around under water, have waves roll over you. How much extra water pressure is the detector experiencing? I bet you could have more than 4.2 pounds at the surface from just a wave. Add in the possibility of a hair or grain of sand on the seal and it's a leak looking for an opportunity.
The AT pro is rated for 10 feet and I keep mine under the water for hours at a time, sometimes in rough water, and I spray it down with a hose...no problems. The AT is waterproof, not splash proof or rain proof or water resistant...its waterproof.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
So, what are the percentages of leakers to total amount of units sold?

Not sure but of the 3 hunters I know that hunt the bay at waist deep 2 have had leaks. I am sure that is not the real percentage but from the amount of leaking problems I see on the forums and the few people who have purchased it sure seems a lot higher then any other water machine.

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought a CTX-3030 last Summer due to all the "Hype" in the forums. I water hunt so I figured it would be a good one machine alterative to having multiple machines for land and water. I found water in the battery compartment 2 times out of around 10 times I took it in the water. It was not much water, but it was enough that if I had not checked it the battery terminals would have probably ended up corroding quickly. For that reason and the fact the 3030 simply is bling to small gold...I traded it in on an XP Deus. The el cheapo red "O-ring" is not a good setup, Minelab needs to beef that up. Compare that "O-ring" on the $2200 3030 to the "O-rings" on a $600 AT-PRO....Minelab should take some notes from Garrett.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I bought a CTX-3030 last Summer due to all the "Hype" in the forums. I water hunt so I figured it would be a good one machine alterative to having multiple machines for land and water. I found water in the battery compartment 2 times out of around 10 times I took it in the water. It was not much water, but it was enough that if I had not checked it the battery terminals would have probably ended up corroding quickly. For that reason and the fact the 3030 simply is bling to small gold...I traded it in on an XP Deus. The el cheapo red "O-ring" is not a good setup, Minelab needs to beef that up. Compare that "O-ring" on the $2200 3030 to the "O-rings" on a $600 AT-PRO....Minelab should take some notes from Garrett.

Yes it is a shame. But the CTX does pick of small gold. Gary Drayton has even found gold chains with his. Last summer the Seawater program was not out. The Seawater option makes a major difference. Gary even found small chains be for the program was out.

Last edited:

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would like to test that new update myself. I have a 0.7gram 14k gold hoop earring that even in a wide open pattern and the earring rubbing on the coil...nothing, no response from the 3030. Hopefully they did fix that...but doubt I would ever invest in one again.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Gary said it best when he recently stated something to the effect, "learn your machine and hunt with as much sensitivity as possible". Small gold chains, thin gold hoop earrings, etc., they can be found with the Excal and the small coil whenever the conditions and circumstances are right, but not always. This same reality is also evident with some other machines like the CTX, Sov.,etc.,...."they'll read them when they can." I've found tiny gold chains with the Excal & 8" that I can't even get a response from with the same settings when attempting to air test them....have no idea why? But we're talking "small, thin chains" here as any good sized gold chain should present a response under normal hunting conditions. But honestly, these tiny small gold chains are near worthless and they're really not worth all the added concern as it would take several of them to equal the value of an average sized gold ring of the same k. To me they're just "bonus targets" that I no longer concern myself with. If I find one, that's great, but given the obvious difficulties in trying to get a response from them and the minimal amount of them out there.....just not sure they're really worth all the concern.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found two necklaces with the CTX a few days back in the water.
Granted they where not that deep but I found them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found two necklaces with the CTX a few days back in the water.
Granted they where not that deep but I found them.
Its a good detector and Im sure they will get the leaking issue resolved.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to figure out why. The oring or gasket is so thin that just minor contraction when it hits the cold water allows the compartment to leak. All other gaskets or orings like the CZ 21 or Whites Surf PI are much thicker. It is really funny they can make such a great machine but miss the boat on a gasket like that. Really seems like most leaks coming out of cold water.

Maybe, Maybe not.
Could be a lot of things such as the elasticity of the seal is not correct, or the housing is not rigid enough, or clamps are too loose.
If the leaks are a result of coming out of cold water, I would expect a higher failure rate in the winter, or in New England states.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its temp related, they are failing/leaking in warm water locations. what is minelabs official response to this common problem, anyone know? if you have had the problem and sent it in for repair please let everyone know minelabs comments.
chuck.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use vasoliene on my rubber gasket and haven't had a leek yet, I've been in the water with it at least a dozen times.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread