Jrehmbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2013
Murrells inlet s
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right first time with Garrett 150 on the beach. I'm confused how every one seems to be detecting in the water. When I even touched the sand or got the coil wet my machine beeps. Now understandably since a detector measures conductivity to determine the source and depth of the material, so do I need a special MD for wet work?

Upvote 0

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just came back from my first beach hunt with the fisher f2, and I faced the same problem as you. Quite honestly, wet sand can drive most detectors nuts, even with adjustable ground balance. However, because your ace150 has fixed ground balance, it is even more susceptible to falsing in wet sand. Your best bet is to hunt the dry sand closest to shore as possible, but if you're determined to hunt the wet sand, try turning the sensitivity way down and set the discrimination to block out iron and foil. You'll still get falsing, but it won't be nearly as bad (it's what I did on my trip). I hope this helps!
Happy hunting :)
Crazy4coins

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right first time with Garrett 150 on the beach. I'm confused how every one seems to be detecting in the water. When I even touched the sand or got the coil wet my machine beeps. Now understandably since a detector measures conductivity to determine the source and depth of the material, so do I need a special MD for wet work?

Your single freq detector is not designed for salt water, it is seeing the salt minerals as metal everywhere. You can turn your sensitivity down till it stabilizes but you will lose a lot if depth.

Multi freq and pulse induction is what you want to use on salt water beaches..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
J

Jrehmbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2013
Murrells inlet s
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the input, I did turn down the sensitivity and it did help, but can tell the dry sand is much better. I started hunting around the chair tracks in stead. I can see from Treasure Hunters reply I have a lot to learn about the different types of detectors. Thanks again!

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound to bad the ace 150 is not designed for wet sand. The ace 250 and 350 are a little better. The dry sand is where I would stay with the 150. But don't be upset by this. The dry sand has produced some really nice finds. Good luck

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is something I wrote a while ago that I hope will help you:

The quest for the perfect metal detector to this point has been quixotic. Minelab, has come the closest to building a fully submersible beach machine that can discriminate out iron in wet sand and saltwater. The “Excalibur” uses Broad Band Spectrum, or “BBS” technology, and retails for about $1,500.00. According to Minelab, their BBS operating system, “simultaneously transmits, receives and analyses a broad band of multiple frequencies to deliver substantial detection depth, high sensitivity and accurate discrimination for a wide range of target types.” The key takeaway here is “multiple frequencies.” Unfortunately, radio waves regardless of their frequency still have to be filtered and balanced in heavily conductive wet-ocean sand and highly mineralized saltwater. That limits the systems depth capabilities.

Single frequency VLF machines (Very Low Frequency), have even more limitations in the harsh saltwater environment. Take for example the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. This VLF single frequency machine (17.9Khz) is one of the finest and deepest gold nugget finders on the market today. The Lobo Super Traq, is capable of finding BB-sized gold nuggets eight-inches deep in heavily mineralized ground, or a nickel in dry beach sand at 14-inches. Put that same nugget – or even the nickel, seven-inches deep in wet saltwater sand and the Lobo could walk right over it while chattering, or maybe without seeing it at all. Why?

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS and VLF metal detectors, which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency radio waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

PI metal detectors give the user superior depth capabilities in all metal detecting situations and soil conditions. Using the same heavy fog at night metaphor that I referred to earlier, pulse induction is like headlights that cut completely through the fog as if it were not there at all. The trade-off for that added depth and clarity is the inability to discriminate, or block out iron targets that you generally don’t want to waste time and energy digging. While a pulse induction machine detects all metals without discrimination, the minute differences in the signal tone and quality can give a skilled and experienced operator a clue as to what the target may, or may not be.

Will one machine do it all? Not in my opinion. I always advise new beach metal detecting hobbyists to have a VLF machine for dry sand (as well as their other dirt detecting needs), and a PI machine for the water and wet-sand (and deep farm field and relic hunting). In truth, it all comes down to what you prefer and can afford. Good Luck!

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just came back from my first beach hunt with the fisher f2, and I faced the same problem as you. Quite honestly, wet sand can drive most detectors nuts, even with adjustable ground balance. However, because your ace150 has fixed ground balance, it is even more susceptible to falsing in wet sand. Your best bet is to hunt the dry sand closest to shore as possible, but if you're determined to hunt the wet sand, try turning the sensitivity way down and set the discrimination to block out iron and foil. You'll still get falsing, but it won't be nearly as bad (it's what I did on my trip). I hope this helps!
Happy hunting :)
Crazy4coins

Wow I had an F4 and it drove me crazy....more time trying to get it set up than hunting! Dry sand was great, but down in FL wet was just a pain. Many good machines out there that will save you pain and discomfort. Hey I had a great time in the dry sand with the F4 so no flames just my .02

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the input, I did turn down the sensitivity and it did help, but can tell the dry sand is much better. I started hunting around the chair tracks in stead. I can see from Treasure Hunters reply I have a lot to learn about the different types of detectors. Thanks again!

Even on the same beach, you may find that not all dry sand is the same. For instance, it is usually becomes saltier as you approach the water. Or you may run into patches, such as where it wet underneath/ underground seepage that will cause false alarms unless you turn the sensitivity of your detector further down.

OP
OP
J

Jrehmbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2013
Murrells inlet s
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow fantastic input, thanks for all the help. of course the big question is how do i convince my better half to let me buy another detector!! lol thanks again every body.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow fantastic input, thanks for all the help. of course the big question is how do i convince my better half to let me buy another detector!! lol thanks again every body.

It depends on timing:
Sometimes, it is better to plead for forgiveness, than beg for permission.
Sometimes not!

It is easier after finding a good stash which of course you have given the best to your better half helps. especially
after dropping the hint that you would of been able to find much more, if only you had a better detector.

Last edited:

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
The old wow honey you wont believe what I found on Craigslist it was such a good deal I had to get it.

Just make sure you throw the cardboard in the grocery store dumpster.

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old wow honey you wont believe what I found on Craigslist it was such a good deal I had to get it.

Just make sure you throw the cardboard in the grocery store dumpster.

Or let her buy something she really wanted, then she can't say anything!

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or let her buy something she really wanted, then she can't say anything!

This is how I got my excalibur 2. She got a new bedroom set. $5000 later I think I got played. Haha.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I still get harassed for buying the boat. The metal detector was no different. Oh well mini season almost here.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

label up a tin or jar with "Finds to buy my darling a huge piece of jewellery" - then she wont mind you going out so much, AND, when she asks why its taking so long to get enough finds in the kitty, say "well, you know, if I had a better machine........."

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
label up a tin or jar with "Finds to buy my darling a huge piece of jewellery" - then she wont mind you going out so much, AND, when she asks why its taking so long to get enough finds in the kitty, say "well, you know, if I had a better machine........."

You know.... I might actually try that one.... very originial BVI :notworthy:

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just have her watch all the youtube video's with all the guys finding rings at the beach and she will buy it for you!!!!
Nevermind that in real life it's not that easy!!!

I have had many hobbies over the years, want expensive try r/c helicopters. But none of them have ever made me one red cent. So at least this one may or may not pay for itself but at least it won't cost you a ton of money....LOL at least not till the next better detector comes out.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread