Kids...lol

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you just have to back away from the serious hunting to take some time to enjoy all those curious little minds and faces. I did this again the other day, handing out pieces of "priceless treasure" to several of the curious minds that took the time to bother me with their "oh-so-serious and curious" questions. It's amazing how a few crusty pennies can completely light up their faces and eyes, a vapor trail of sand kicked into the air as they quickly sprint away to go show mom and dad, "their priceless treasures!" :laughing7: And here's another biggie, suddenly mom and dad have a better outlook and opinion about that guy with metal detector - you can see it in their eyes and read it in their smiles and laughter when they say to you, or motion to you, "thank you!" Sure, those huge sunglasses were too darn big for the kid but you couldn't tell her that - an hour later she was still wearing them, her little hands keeping them pressed on her head. :laughing7: What a hoot! Green quarters - those three little boys, and now dad, were still trying to clean it off an hour later. Just A little meaningless quality time provided by that "nice guy" with the metal detector. And I enjoy every minute of it, I really do. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When they are looking for shells nothing like walking out of the water with a scoop full

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they are looking for shells nothing like walking out of the water with a scoop full

The starfish will start showing up soon.....I always have a blast with the kids then. And sand fleas.....catch a few of these in your scoop sometime and then ask the kids to try to catch them as soon as you drop them back onto the wet sand......looks like a bunch of dogs trying to retrieve that buried bone. :laughing7:

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Never saw a starfish here. But the sand fleas are already abundant.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice post, biggscoop.

I once met up with a parent and his 5 yrs. old son on a beach; when the child turned his head away from me, I quickly took a toy "Hot Wheels" car that I had found that morning and buried it in the sand; then I allowed the child to use my headphones to check the sand for treasures; I guided his arm toward the buried car...he heard the sound, and I told him to dig and see what he had discovered....the look on his face when he saw the toy car was priceless!

( and so was the look on his father's face at seeing his son enjoy a special moment)

Lorraine

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Shells, sand dollars, coins and hotwheels can make a huge difference in some peoples perception of our hobby. If you could have heard the screams of the little girl the other day when I walked up to her and her mother... Mom said "what are you doing out there" (me with my snorkel and mask on) my comment was I'm metal detecting but I have a problem, I found this sand dollar and don't know what to do with it......Me, Me. Me please can I have it..... Mom gave a big smile as her daugther ran off with the sand dollar.... and I went back to try and find my scoop in the water.....
Cliff

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I try to give the courteous kids some kind of find to satisfy their curiosity! I found a mask and gave it to a kid who asked me what was I doing with it. He took it and started to explore for over an hour. When I tell the kids we return lost jewelry, some them get a big smile along with their Mom and Dad. I always like to share my stories and some of my loot.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a freshwater lake one day and a boy about 9 asked if he could try my detector. I told him it was too big for him and he said ok. I saw him standing on shore about thirty minutes later still watching me. I walked up to him and asked if he still wanted to try it and his face lit up and he said sure. I got him set up and told him to turn around and I would bury a coin and see if he could find it. I buried the coin along the waters edge and walked back to him and told him to walk down the shoreline and see if he could get it. When he got over the coin he stopped and said he got a beep. I took a scoop and sifted it out in the water. When he saw the quarter he said "I found it, I really found it". His mom thanked me and I left that day feeling better than if I had found a gold ring.

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave some kids some pennies the other day that were freshly dug. Then I pulled out my toothbrush, and they took turns cleaning them. I got a kick outta that.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These little stories represent some, "really great moments in metal detecting!" Keep them coming...."Please!" :thumbsup:

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you just have to back away from the serious hunting to take some time to enjoy all those curious little minds and faces. I did this again the other day, handing out pieces of "priceless treasure" to several of the curious minds that took the time to bother me with their "oh-so-serious and curious" questions. It's amazing how a few crusty pennies can completely light up their faces and eyes, a vapor trail of sand kicked into the air as they quickly sprint away to go show mom and dad, "their priceless treasures!" :laughing7: And here's another biggie, suddenly mom and dad have a better outlook and opinion about that guy with metal detector - you can see it in their eyes and read it in their smiles and laughter when they say to you, or motion to you, "thank you!" Sure, those huge sunglasses were too darn big for the kid but you couldn't tell her that - an hour later she was still wearing them, her little hands keeping them pressed on her head. :laughing7: What a hoot! Green quarters - those three little boys, and now dad, were still trying to clean it off an hour later. Just A little meaningless quality time provided by that "nice guy" with the metal detector. And I enjoy every minute of it, I really do. :thumbsup:

Scoop you're a very cool guy!:icon_thumleft:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They love MatchBox cars too LOL.
Gave one away before and then had 10 kids following me hehe.
Another time I was hunting Fresh Water and some kids asked "what am I looking for" I said "Sharks" and they where like "really? With a scared look on their faces"? LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw a starfish here. But the sand fleas are already abundant.

I think it's around August, once the water really warms, that we'll start seeing a lot of starfish on a few areas of the beach. Most of them will be a rusty color, also gray. Most of them will be small but every once in a while you'll run across a big one, maybe 6 - 8" across.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In plymouth mass. one cold dreary day i detecting along the beach not finding much. I did however find a toy car.I would detect in a straight line for about 300 ft mover over just inches and return. I was being watched and didnt know it. A young man and his young son approached me asking if i was having any luck. Typical questions ensued. I gave the child the toy car I found. Now remember this was a miserable day.I go about about my business grid-ding the beach.My head is down going slow hoping to find something to make this day worth the effort. On one of my return trips I spot an x in the sand and I cant resist...... there is a signal and I dig........It was the car I gave to to the child. Because i had my head down I was unaware what the young man did. He was sitting on the sea wall and as i recovered the the car he came running up to me giggling and saying " I fooled you, I fooled you" . I gave him the toy car again. I didnt find much after that metal detecting , but the child's laughter made all difference. A great day for sure

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it, but all of these stories are inspiring a brainstorm......:laughing7:
I wonder how Treasure Hunter is going to look in that pirate costume? :laughing7:
Who wants to be Peter Pan? :laughing7: Tinkerbell....anyone? :laughing7:

Last edited:

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Nice post, biggscoop.

I once met up with a parent and his 5 yrs. old son on a beach; when the child turned his head away from me, I quickly took a toy "Hot Wheels" car that I had found that morning and buried it in the sand; then I allowed the child to use my headphones to check the sand for treasures; I guided his arm toward the buried car...he heard the sound, and I told him to dig and see what he had discovered....the look on his face when he saw the toy car was priceless!

( and so was the look on his father's face at seeing his son enjoy a special moment)

Lorraine

Same exact thing here too almost Lorraine . I am old so I think I used my foot to point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread