AT Pro on the Beach advice

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Hi,

So I just got an AT Pro and went to Rockaway beach to run it through some paces. I already have an amazing Whites Beach Hunter, but I wanted a device that I could do some relic hunting on dry land and also use it on the beach. It is much much lighter too than the Hunter. I had a frustrating day and so I need some insight. This might be long, but I want to get out some points and I tend to ramble.

First, I was falsing a lot. Let me explain. With the Beach hunter, you can literally skim the sand with the coil. This gives you optimum reading. I rarely get a false reading when using the whites. I tried to skim the sand with the AT Pro and it would give a nice bell sound that indicated a coin, but i knew there was nothing there as the bell would happen on the beginning and end of my swing. In addition, when i tried to dig a coin and set the coil down on the sand behind me, it would also ring as if it were on a coin. I stopped skimming the sand and did my swing about 1/2 inch above it. I still would get an indication there was a coin, but again it would be at the beginning or end of a swing. I would check by doing an X pattern and the bell sound would not happen, so no coin.

My question is, what am I doing wrong here? The machine was grounded and I tried a few settings to notch out iron etc. It is frustrating because I want to get a nice bell sound only when there is an actual coin.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I'm finding coins from dry sand to waist deep water, I'm not disappointed!
Found my first Merc yesterday...in the surf....big let down....lol

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Also do you have Iron Audio off?

Sand Pirate, I presume the last two questions are directed at me. If so, yes I run it in Pro. With Iron Audio off, Iron rings loud and clear as coins. With Iron Audio on, I can at least distinguish the audio and dig the targets I choose. Regardless of Iron Audion on/off, the notch discrimination is set to eliminate iron.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand Pirate, I presume the last two questions are directed at me. If so, yes I run it in Pro. With Iron Audio off, Iron rings loud and clear as coins. With Iron Audio on, I can at least distinguish the audio and dig the targets I choose. Regardless of Iron Audion on/off, the notch discrimination is set to eliminate iron.
Are you talking big iron, little iron or all iron...a nail shouldn't give you a high tone.

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I kinda had the same problem today, and I made an observation that probably means nothing but when I'm running fresh batteries I don't seem to have that problem. Yesterday and today my batts were at half power...now I'm not saying that's the culprit, only an observation. And also I was hunting in the same slot as yesterday...iron rich. I was running pro all mode with disc at 40, iron audio off and I was getting high pings on iron...in fact an old rusty bolt about blew my ear off....
She was very chatty today....I'm going to a different location over the weekend. It may just be the area...who knows...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I kinda had the same problem today, and I made an observation that probably means nothing but when I'm running fresh batteries I don't seem to have that problem. Yesterday and today my batts were at half power...now I'm not saying that's the culprit, only an observation. And also I was hunting in the same slot as yesterday...iron rich. I was running pro all mode with disc at 40, iron audio off and I was getting high pings on iron...in fact an old rusty bolt about blew my ear off....
She was very chatty today....I'm going to a different location over the weekend. It may just be the area...who knows...
You might be on to something...I use rechargeable batts, so Im fully charged every time I hunt...I almost never get down to half power.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Are you talking big iron, little iron or all iron...a nail shouldn't give you a high tone.

It doesn't matter the size. The usual culprit is old residual dredge pipe slag. It is literally flecks of iron the size of a fingernail. At this point, I might as well swing my Sea Hunter MarkII. At least, I know that I'm not sacrificing depth.

Also, I don't believe it is the batteries. It happens with fresh batteries.

Last edited:

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep I get the teeny pieces too...rings like a church bell...
I have faith that we will figure this out though....I'm still learning the machine and only have about 50 hours or so on it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter the size. The usual culprit is old residual dredge pipe slag. It is literally flecks of iron the size of a fingernail. At this point, I might as well swing my Sea Hunter MarkII. At least, I know that I'm not sacrificing depth.

Also, I don't believe it is the batteries. It happens with fresh batteries.
Iron like that shouldn't give a high tone...I cant figure that out...do you get a low tone on anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions