AT Pro on the Beach advice

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Hi,

So I just got an AT Pro and went to Rockaway beach to run it through some paces. I already have an amazing Whites Beach Hunter, but I wanted a device that I could do some relic hunting on dry land and also use it on the beach. It is much much lighter too than the Hunter. I had a frustrating day and so I need some insight. This might be long, but I want to get out some points and I tend to ramble.

First, I was falsing a lot. Let me explain. With the Beach hunter, you can literally skim the sand with the coil. This gives you optimum reading. I rarely get a false reading when using the whites. I tried to skim the sand with the AT Pro and it would give a nice bell sound that indicated a coin, but i knew there was nothing there as the bell would happen on the beginning and end of my swing. In addition, when i tried to dig a coin and set the coil down on the sand behind me, it would also ring as if it were on a coin. I stopped skimming the sand and did my swing about 1/2 inch above it. I still would get an indication there was a coin, but again it would be at the beginning or end of a swing. I would check by doing an X pattern and the bell sound would not happen, so no coin.

My question is, what am I doing wrong here? The machine was grounded and I tried a few settings to notch out iron etc. It is frustrating because I want to get a nice bell sound only when there is an actual coin.

Thanks

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might want to switch frequency. I do we'll on F4 but it all depends on the beach. Also knock the sensitivity down a notch. Finally when you ground bal the machine on dry sand take a look at the number. Dry sand in Jersey where I was tonight was like 44. Then push the gnd balance and drop it down to 43 or 42.
Make sure you coil wire is wrapped tight and the connection is tight. After some use I have found my connection loosened a little. BUT when you swing and the coil bounces the slightest bit on the sand you will get a tone. If you are using a coil cover it will fill with sand every time you hit the beach. Make sure you clean it.
I still use the very first Whites Surfmaster PI I purchased when they first came out 15 years ago. I can swing that smaller coil faster. Go a little slower with the AT and don't fret about notching down the sensitivity. I have been picking hair pins and paper clips at about 8 or 9 inches. Keep it just off the sand when you swing. Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks NJcigarman. I will take that advice.

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Ol this may not be part of the topic but you AT Pro guys are killing me!! I have an Ace 250 & 2 150's for the wife and kids. I really want an AT Pro now after seeing all the threads...... Im in trouble, lol

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to switch frequency. I do we'll on F4 but it all depends on the beach. Also knock the sensitivity down a notch. Finally when you ground bal the machine on dry sand take a look at the number. Dry sand in Jersey where I was tonight was like 44. Then push the gnd balance and drop it down to 43 or 42.
Make sure you coil wire is wrapped tight and the connection is tight. After some use I have found my connection loosened a little. BUT when you swing and the coil bounces the slightest bit on the sand you will get a tone. If you are using a coil cover it will fill with sand every time you hit the beach. Make sure you clean it.
I still use the very first Whites Surfmaster PI I purchased when they first came out 15 years ago. I can swing that smaller coil faster. Go a little slower with the AT and don't fret about notching down the sensitivity. I have been picking hair pins and paper clips at about 8 or 9 inches. Keep it just off the sand when you swing. Hope this helps!!

and swithch over to pro mode too

hunterray2002

Jan 15, 2011
Pa. Fl.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Detectorpro, Fisher, Garrett.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AT- Is an awesome machine. I'd love it even beter if it had dual frequency.

mparrish2013

Feb 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
PRO Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

So I just got an AT Pro and went to Rockaway beach to run it through some paces. I already have an amazing Whites Beach Hunter, but I wanted a device that I could do some relic hunting on dry land and also use it on the beach. It is much much lighter too than the Hunter. I had a frustrating day and so I need some insight. This might be long, but I want to get out some points and I tend to ramble.

First, I was falsing a lot. Let me explain. With the Beach hunter, you can literally skim the sand with the coil. This gives you optimum reading. I rarely get a false reading when using the whites. I tried to skim the sand with the AT Pro and it would give a nice bell sound that indicated a coin, but i knew there was nothing there as the bell would happen on the beginning and end of my swing. In addition, when i tried to dig a coin and set the coil down on the sand behind me, it would also ring as if it were on a coin. I stopped skimming the sand and did my swing about 1/2 inch above it. I still would get an indication there was a coin, but again it would be at the beginning or end of a swing. I would check by doing an X pattern and the bell sound would not happen, so no coin.

My question is, what am I doing wrong here? The machine was grounded and I tried a few settings to notch out iron etc. It is frustrating because I want to get a nice bell sound only when there is an actual coin.

Thanks

I was having same problem gonna try changing frequency next time I go to the beach
Happy hunting!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine wont run stable in pro mode...in the wet sand and saltwater I run standard mode, GB around 12, zero mode, sens between 4 and 6 bars, iron audio off...runs stable with good depth...Ive made some nice finds running with these settings.

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks lookin down. Great screen name by the way

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signals at the ends of the swing is sometimes indicative of an uneven sweep, tilting the coil. Since salt sand can give a reading if you change distance from the sand at the ends of your swing it can cause falsing.

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dale3fan28....if you get the AT Pro...don't throw away your 250. Keep that as a handy dandy back up.
Kellyco sells a 13 inch coil for extra depth. You could probably call Garrett and ask about trading in your 150's for
a huge mark down on the AT Pro however. Give them a call and see what they say.

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Banjonyc:
I'm surprised your having trouble at the beach with the AT Pro. It's supposed to do very well
there in the wet sand. The AT Gold won't work hardly at all in the wet sand.
Dirtfisher23

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Well, dirtfisher it was my first run. I need to figure out how to use it properly on the sand and surf. I am not expecting it to be nearly as good as my beach hunter 300 but that is very heavy!

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Dale3fan28....if you get the AT Pro...don't throw away your 250. Keep that as a handy dandy back up.
Kellyco sells a 13 inch coil for extra depth. You could probably call Garrett and ask about trading in your 150's for
a huge mark down on the AT Pro however. Give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks!!!

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my ATP on the beach several times a week. FOR ME and let me repeat that...FOR ME...it works quite well in the salt water/wet sand. I have to play around with the settings, depending on which beach I hunt.
This is WHAT I DO...(<<<< read, then re-read)
ground balance for the area to hunt...you need to GB on dry, and again when you move to wet. I do wet/surf first for a couple of hours then move to dry....gives my clothes time to dry LOL. It auto balances here at around 10-14 on wet, and 65-75(or higher) on dry. I've read of folks manually dropping it lower than the auto, but I have not played with that yet.
Once GB is established, I adjust sensitivity down until its quiet...usually about half way
I use only PRO mode ZERO on the beach...seems to work better FOR ME....
I set Iron Disc to 40 because these beaches are trashy and have lots of iron scrap around
I have not played around with changing frequencies much as I couldn't really tell a difference here
Some days she runs quiet as a mouse in or out of the water, some days she can be quite chatty...it depends on where I go
MOST of the time, I have no issues. She's been good to me so far. I've found coins in the dry, the wet, and in waist deep salt water, (and fresh water).
As for falsing, keep coil level as possible, try not to bump the sand, adjust sensitivity down a notch or two
and can someone tell me of a machine that doesn't false on occasion? Just wondering...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ATP on the beach several times a week. FOR ME and let me repeat that...FOR ME...it works quite well in the salt water/wet sand. I have to play around with the settings, depending on which beach I hunt.
This is WHAT I DO...(<<<< read, then re-read)
ground balance for the area to hunt...you need to GB on dry, and again when you move to wet. I do wet/surf first for a couple of hours then move to dry....gives my clothes time to dry LOL. It auto balances here at around 10-14 on wet, and 65-75(or higher) on dry. I've read of folks manually dropping it lower than the auto, but I have not played with that yet.
Once GB is established, I adjust sensitivity down until its quiet...usually about half way
I use only PRO mode ZERO on the beach...seems to work better FOR ME....
I set Iron Disc to 40 because these beaches are trashy and have lots of iron scrap around
I have not played around with changing frequencies much as I couldn't really tell a difference here
Some days she runs quiet as a mouse in or out of the water, some days she can be quite chatty...it depends on where I go
MOST of the time, I have no issues. She's been good to me so far. I've found coins in the dry, the wet, and in waist deep salt water, (and fresh water).
As for falsing, keep coil level as possible, try not to bump the sand, adjust sensitivity down a notch or two
and can someone tell me of a machine that doesn't false on occasion? Just wondering...
I think a lot of people that have trouble with their AT don't have it set up right...just like you use Pro mode and I use Standard mode and we both have success...you have to figure out what works best for you and the area your using it.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I think a lot of people that have trouble with their AT don't have it set up right...just like you use Pro mode and I use Standard mode and we both have success...you have to figure out what works best for you and the area your using it.

At this point, I would be happy if it didn't ring on iron even after I've set the notch discrimination to eliminate it.

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using standard or pro mode in all metal mode? (That sounded wierd)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread