Eyes Always Burning?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, this summer my eyes have been on constant burn notice...I mean they are always red and burning. Thought it might be because I don't wear sunglasses but after a couple of weeks of wearing some UV shades the burning and redness is still there. My vision seems ok and I feel fine, other then perhaps just tiring a bit easier....but this constant burning is driving me nuts. Eye washes have little effect. Anyone else had this issue? Someone told me it was probably from being in the salt air and wind all the time, but....:dontknow:...never had the issue before.

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with red tide. Although, being a fisherman, if wind is prevalent, you've got sea spray syndrome.
Whichever it may be, if you value your retinas, you'll always have eye wear, polarized specifically.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with red tide. Although, being a fisherman, if wind is prevalent, you've got sea spray syndrome.
Whichever it may be, if you value your retinas, you'll always have eye wear, polarized specifically.

What, pray-tell, is sea spray syndrome? Never heard of it before.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some pretty green water going on and yes i think theres a little something in the water. I always wear glasses, but still get it. Could well be to much salt spray. Last year it was worse.... but we had a LOT of heavy Red Tide for months.

Dew

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like you need visine ...hahahaha I wonda why. jk. Possibly salt from sweat getting in there. Or your rubbing your eyes and getting them with an irritant of some sorts...maybe work? They could have been burned too, by the sun. hh an gl -Joe

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectingwiki: iritatus negative au syndrome the symptoms of iritatus negative au syndrome include the following ailments/manifestations.....

1. burning eyes and confusion/bewilderment.
2. roaming about aimlessly
3. an inability to stay focused and stick to the original plan of action.
4. mumbling and answering ones own questions.
5. trying to turn what you know to be a bad target into a good one.
6. posting on internet forums when the weather is nice outside.

these are just a few of the symptoms of iritatus negative au syndrome which is caused by a severe lack of gold(au) finds.

Last edited:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
41F6sc8KtuL.jpg
I wear these, they protect you from everything.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
SLS (sodium laureth sulfate)
If you are using a body wash or shampoo with this crap in it. Stop and see if you notice a change.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other factors-dehydration, body PH and just having (or acquiring dry eye syndrome). Mine is mostly due to age. Outdoors all my life and spent every summer day at the beach in my younger days-no screen-no umbrella-no glasses. Nowdays- a light breeze =what a stiff wind would do to my eyes. Drink a little less water-my sweat burns like mace (just from perspiring-not dripping down into my eyes. Dry eyes wake me up every night-even with that goop stuff. Eye wash/eye drops-if it doesn't say Forte & Natural after whatever name-it burns like mace. Pretty recent-unwelcome change for me. Dr says it just happens.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only Red Tide in Fla. is in Northern Sarasota County and it's Low. There is a lot of Pollen in the air this year. My eyes burn my wife eye burn. Have you ever watched the water puddle after it rain and seen that yellow stuff in the water, that is Pine tree Pollen, it's every where.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like newly developed allergies to me.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dennco, yes these goggles likely work for cannon as well. I tried every kind of sunglass at the beach but at some point had to stop and flush out an eye. About 3 years ago I had retinal detachments in both eyes so I am very protective about the eyes now. Recently started using goggles and they work great. No salt spray or water in the eyes, UV protection, filtered air, anti-fog, total protection. No kill like overkill. This may not be the solution for everyone but it is working for me. I still carry emergency eye wash just in case. [/FONT]

Tek

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I only get burning eyes cuz I stare at my computer screen while on T-Net so much... :icon_thumright: Seriously though, they hurt.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dennco, yes these goggles likely work for cannon as well. I tried every kind of sunglass at the beach but at some point had to stop and flush out an eye. About 3 years ago I had retinal detachments in both eyes so I am very protective about the eyes now. Recently started using goggles and they work great. No salt spray or water in the eyes, UV protection, filtered air, anti-fog, total protection. No kill like overkill. This may not be the solution for everyone but it is working for me. I still carry emergency eye wash just in case. [/FONT]

Tek

Just a few questions Teklord: Are those polarized googles, used for surfing?
Who makes them, what do the cost, where do you get them?
It looks like they would work great in Hawaii.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread