thinking of a CTX 3030?

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been several years since I seriously metal detected. Last year, I did try a PI machine and just hated it...

I have experience with Sovereigns and Excalibur, but I'm blown away by the features of the CTX 3030.

For health reasons I need the exercise. Also need a hobby. I'm looking to get back into metal detecting.

Based on past experience, likely 80% of my use would be on the beach and surf zone. Maybe 15% submerged in wait/chest deep water. Throw in 5% for park and relic hunting.

My concerns are the problems related to leaking. Is there a way to wrap more protection around the seal?

Are the stock headphones usable or should I consider an upgrade? Which model?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well put. It seems GreenMeanie is not out in the surf but is probably in some very cold water. Wonder if minelab will make a statement ?
To my knowledge Garrett never made a statement about the AT pro leaking, nor did they ever say what the problem was...but they got it fixed...sure Minelab will straighten it out.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Very well put. It seems GreenMeanie is not out in the surf but is probably in some very cold water. Wonder if minelab will make a statement ?

Not taking sides here one way or another. I'm sure there are some leakers how many, I don't think anyone here knows for sure and it is all speculation as to the numbers. As for Minelab, they did make a statement... Sept. 4th 2012 (3 months after if came out)...... here is the link to their product notice. CTX 3030 Battery Sealing ? Care and Maintenance | Minelab News
Will more be done, time will tell. I worked in an industry that used electronic devices that had to be rated for pressure and vacuum, all had O-ring seals which we had to change regularly. In each one of them, the sealing surface was flat with a groove for the o-ring in the cap and each cap had a specific torque value for the fasteners. All these O-rings did have some sort of lubricant applied (Per the manufacturers recommendation), each lubricant was different due to the differences in O-ring material. Needless to say, an O-ring will seal a unit successfully if properly designed and properly taken care of by the end user.

I just recieved my 3030 Monday, does it concern me it may leak..... yes... will it stop me from using the machine, absolutely not. I will take a little more care when returning from a hunt, the battery will be removed promptly after each hunt to ensure it didn't leak and to clean up any water IF it did leak. I will have spare O-rings on hand in case I see degradation to the existing O-ring. It adds a little more to my normal routine but it will give me piece of mind knowing my machine isn't sitting there corroding in the closet waiting for the next hunt. Minelab will be contacted immediately if it does leak.

HH and GL all
Cliff

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read another post.... his just came back for stress cracks.... now it leaked in the USB area. Features just arent needed on a beach.... you want good depth and sensitivity and just a simple machine. Its not rocket science..... dont dig iron and shallow bottle caps..... everything else you best check. The CTX is a great machine especially for dirt digging, but its still not the best choice for beach hunting.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read another post.... his just came back for stress cracks.... now it leaked in the USB area. Features just arent needed on a beach.... you want good depth and sensitivity and just a simple machine. Its not rocket science..... dont dig iron and shallow bottle caps..... everything else you best check. The CTX is a great machine especially for dirt digging, but its still not the best choice for beach hunting.

Dew

I don't know Dew, I was pretty skeptical myself until I actually got to do a little head to head against the one my hunting partner uses. The end result was that the 3030 was pretty impressive. We were using an old 14k band he had just found "deep" in the wet sand - even with all of the mods on my Excal I couldn't even get a threshold break and yet the 3030 was pounding the target out with a clean/clear tone. I also place a lot of value in my hunting partner's opinion and he seems to think the 3030 is deeper with more sensitivity then the Excal in the drink as well, and he's not the type of hunter who would simply claim this and continue to use the machine if he wasn't convinced that it was the better machine for the job. What he doesn't like about the machine is the obvious leak issue/risk and the fact that it creates a bit more drag in the water. So like I say, the jury is still out for me but I suspect that once this seal issue is upgraded I'll probably have to test the 3030 waters myself. And it also took him quite a while to figure out how to tune the machine for the best stability/results in the saltwater....something else he says is a bit tricky/touchy at times.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030

Dew[/QUOTE

If you read Bigscoops last post you can see as I did the CTX has advantages over the Excalibur. My Excalibur II has the standard 10" coil and was made in Ireland. Maybe with a different coil the Excalibur could go deeper. My CTX goes deeper then my previous 2 Excaliburs. The CTX goes deeper and makes a louder tone then this Excalibur. It is very impressive. It is much faster and pinpoints on the money. Great machine for wet sand and shallow surf. Problem is you can't be in surf high enough if it hits the screen. The thing is harder to swing in water. The shaft can't take the pressure. Many water hunters having trouble with shaft wobbling. ML has a kit for that fix out. My armrest busted off when I was hit by a 2' wave. The water was cloudy and I was lucky to find machine. It is not solid enough for being hit by surf period. You can take the chance and hope ML doesn't say user error if you like. Warranties are as good as the company backs you up. KIA has a 100,000 mile warranty but when something goes wrong it was you didn't maintain it properly with there products. I have called ML 3 times you get a machine then leave a message and still no one has called me back. How long would it take me to get the work done. If you hunt wet sand and shallow surf a lot, this in my three years of heavy hunting wet sand and shallow surf is the MACHINE! But it is not made for surf above you waist period.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taking sides here one way or another. I'm sure there are some leakers how many, I don't think anyone here knows for sure and it is all speculation as to the numbers. As for Minelab, they did make a statement... Sept. 4th 2012 (3 months after if came out)...... here is the link to their product notice. CTX 3030 Battery Sealing ? Care and Maintenance | Minelab News
Will more be done, time will tell. I worked in an industry that used electronic devices that had to be rated for pressure and vacuum, all had O-ring seals which we had to change regularly. In each one of them, the sealing surface was flat with a groove for the o-ring in the cap and each cap had a specific torque value for the fasteners. All these O-rings did have some sort of lubricant applied (Per the manufacturers recommendation), each lubricant was different due to the differences in O-ring material. Needless to say, an O-ring will seal a unit successfully if properly designed and properly taken care of by the end user.

I just recieved my 3030 Monday, does it concern me it may leak..... yes... will it stop me from using the machine, absolutely not. I will take a little more care when returning from a hunt, the battery will be removed promptly after each hunt to ensure it didn't leak and to clean up any water IF it did leak. I will have spare O-rings on hand in case I see degradation to the existing O-ring. It adds a little more to my normal routine but it will give me piece of mind knowing my machine isn't sitting there corroding in the closet waiting for the next hunt. Minelab will be contacted immediately if it does leak.

HH and GL all
Cliff

If water/corrosion gets into the battery housing can it seep into the below electronics ?
Does Minelab repair leaks under warranty or is the warranty voided as they is considered the fault of the user?

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
If water/corrosion gets into the battery housing can it seep into the below electronics ?
Does Minelab repair leaks under warranty or is the warranty voided as they is considered the fault of the user?
Never heard of leak into electronics at all. Think you would need to break case for that to happen. If it leaks they are pretty kind to you from what i have seen. I have heard of all being replaced.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH and GL all
Cliff
So far they are saying the design is fine and its the users fault...not what you want to hear if your waiting for the problem to be fixed before you buy one...how would all that grit get on the gasket, its not like someone takes it apart and drops the gasket in the sand, yet that's what that picture looks like...I believe that sand is getting in there while they use it...even if it was user error, that's a bad design for it to be that easy to make an error...Id hate to pay that kind of money and constantly be worried about a leak...peace of mind and having trust in my detector means a lot to me.

Last edited:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
So far they are saying the design is fine and its the users fault...not what you want to hear if your waiting for the problem to be fixed before you buy one...how would all that grit get on the gasket, its not like someone takes it apart and drops the gasket in the sand, yet that's what that picture looks like...I believe that sand is getting in there while they use it...even if it was user error, that's a bad design for it to be that easy to make an error...Id hate to pay that kind of money and constantly be worried about a leak...peace of mind and having trust in my detector means a lot to me.

Just talked to Minelab technician they admit the leaking is and issue. Should be a some kind of fix coming but still it won't be and Excalibur. You know what strong surf can do.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I wonder what it is that you hated about the PI machine? I love my Whites surfpro...very simple to operate and does not miss a thing. and no leaks.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I wonder what it is that you hated about the PI machine? I love my Whites surfpro...very simple to operate and does not miss a thing. and no leaks.
Never hated mine. Just could never tell difference between gold, silver and iron. Would always come home with three times more junk then good stuff. My good finds really went up when I switched to a VLF detector. I would guess 95 percent of beach hunters use VLF in my areas. If I wasn't so old and had all the time in the world I would use my PI be for I got the CTX anyway. CTX is like a PI to me only I can tell what's in the ground be for I dig.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just talked to Minelab technician they admit the leaking is and issue. Should be a some kind of fix coming but still it won't be and Excalibur. You know what strong surf can do.
That's good to hear.

OP
OP
S

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Never hated mine. Just could never tell difference between gold, silver and iron. Would always come home with three times more junk then good stuff. My good finds really went up when I switched to a VLF detector. I would guess 95 percent of beach hunters use VLF in my areas. If I wasn't so old and had all the time in the world I would use my PI be for I got the CTX anyway. CTX is like a PI to me only I can tell what's in the ground be for I dig.

I just had more experience with the Sovereign and a bit less with the Excalibur although it had been a few years back.

The White Dual Field PI just exhausted me on the amount of trash I dug. It came at a bargain price so I had no qualms selling her.

I had been looking at another Sovereign and had thought of an Excal. When I looked at the CTX 3030 it just fit every one of my needs. The price was right and I'll find out around Tuesday if it's the holy grail of detectors...LOL.

Just having the GPS and it's flexibility will be worth the extra cost of the machine.

Am I concerned about the o-ring? Certainly, but no more than I was with any other water detector by a number of makers. It was always my first thought no matter the model.

It may in time just become an expensive beach/surf machine. There will always be the lure of deeper water and that might mean going for an Excal or a PI machine.

I'll cross that bridge some other day...

Last edited:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I just had more experience with the Sovereign and a bit less with the Excalibur although it had been a few years back.

The White Dual Field PI just exhausted me on the amount of trash I dug. It came at a bargain price so I had no qualms selling her.

I had been looking at another Sovereign and had thought of an Excal. When I looked at the CTX 3030 it just fit every one of my needs. The price was right and I'll find out around Tuesday if it's the holy grail of detectors...LOL.

Just having the GPS and it's flexibility will be worth the extra cost of the machine.

Am I concerned about the o-ring? Certainly, but no more than I was with any other water detector by a number of makers. It was always my first thought no matter the model.

It may in time just become an expensive beach/surf machine. There will always be the lure of deeper water and that might mean going for an Excal or a PI machine.

I'll cross that bridge some other day...

Make sure it is updated with the seawater program. All I did was beach program, seawater on, deep recover on, recovery speed normal, ground balance off, sensitivity manual and do a atomatic noise cancelation. Turn up sensitivity as high as you can without chatter. I am really just starting but this works really good in my areas. Forget where I actually got these settings from. The noise cancelation I am not sure what it does but gets ride of most chatter and allows me to turn sensitivity way up. Put the pinpoint on press and release. Please give us a report on how you do.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time ime ime is not on my side!

The fact is the CTX has a O ring that contracts in cold water and allows leaks. You can use it on the wet sand and dry, but these areas are pounded by less costly detectors. Sure GPS is nice, but you can carry a Garmin too. However it is a good detector an I will get one once the O ring problem is solved because I will want to use it in the colder water.

As I am much closer to the end than the beginning, my fear is that by the time the problems are satisfactorily resolved, it will only be of use to my next of kin. Of course this is subject to the CTX 3030 remaining in production.and not obsoleted before then.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am much closer to the end than the beginning, my fear is that by the time the problems are satisfactorily resolved, it will only be of use to my next of kin. Of course this is subject to the CTX 3030 remaining in production.and not obsoleted before then.
Good god man, go buy you one before its too late. :laughing7:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good god man, go buy you one before its too late. :laughing7:

Such logic is flawless.
I used it to justify upgrading from a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 which performed well on dry beach sand to an Excalibur for additional shallow water hunting capability more than a year ago. I also experimented with the more flexible and powerful Sovereign GT which has not worked out as it constantly rains where I hunt.

I have only been able to use the Excalibur in protected water(s) as even small waves in Hawaii tend to be very strong since there is no continental shelf to slow them down nor bleed off power before impact. Plus larger waves can snatch you off of the sand and drag you out to sea.

I have doubts that the CTX 3030 would be a good alternative here, especially with the current battery housing seal as sand/ grit tends to get into everything with the near constant on shore trade winds. Plus we have lots of hot rocks/boulders and there is a lot of iron in the soil (Red dirt) as well as black sand, and heavily mineralized soils at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread