Excal AA Battery Pod Cage

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They are on Flea Bay but I'm sure some dealers have them. What do you mean another rechargeable down the drain? Dead, won't take a charge? .... I have whats needed to put in the pod, just got done ordering it when my battery went dead on me.... guess I jumped the gun cause it works and I now have a spare battery and I need another pod to put it in! I'm thinking the AA pod and remove the AA stuff and put my battery in there unless someone has a spare dead battery pod laying around they want to sell...

Cliff

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are on Flea Bay but I'm sure some dealers have them. What do you mean another rechargeable down the drain? Dead, won't take a charge? .... I have whats needed to put in the pod, just got done ordering it when my battery went dead on me.... guess I jumped the gun cause it works and I now have a spare battery and I need another pod to put it in! I'm thinking the AA pod and remove the AA stuff and put my battery in there unless someone has a spare dead battery pod laying around they want to sell...

Cliff

I found them on Ebay just a bit ago. Personally, I'm done with the rechargeable batteries. These days I can buy "a lot" of quality AA batteries for the cost of just one rechargeable pack. I just bought 2 AA battery cages for the Excal pod for $8.00 - much smaller and a lot cheaper then an extra Excal pod and I can change out the loaded cages in no time. No more charging, or forgetting to charge, or unexpected/untimely & costly battery failures, etc. I just prefer to AA's over the rechargeable packs so I'm making the changeover.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how are you loosing these? breaking them? what are you calling a "cage", the pod that the pack is in?

chuck.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the AA pods are made of a thinner plastic, but they do work for our purposes... but id still put a rechargable in it. BS..... why cant you just remove the old pack and replace it with one of these: RCPacks.com - MINELAB EXCALIBUR

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The cage"....the actual AA battery holder inside the pod.
"The pods"....the AA cages will fit inside the rechargeable pod (according to my measurements) so this is what I'm going to do.

I'm making the switch back to AA's because I never had a single battery issue when I was using them. Replacements are cheap, reliable, and readily at hand just about anywhere. Not that I travel much anymore, but I do plan to again, so with batteries I don't have to concern myself with a recharging source, just install fresh batteries when required. (we use to camp in remote locations for several days at a time and planning to do more of it again). Storms come, storms go - fresh batteries will always insure hunting time on the beach even in the event of extended power losses. Also, one drop of water across those rechargeable leads and it's, "instant toast". I just don't see any advantage to the rechargeable batteries. Never really did.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you guys love your rechargeables, but here's a copy of my reply to a PM regarding my reasons for going to back to AA batteries:

I don't really have "a lot" of battery issues....just more then I ever had with plan old AA's. Never had a problem with the "cheaper" AA's, the worst that ever happened was they drained then it was a simple matter of putting in new batteries...problem solved, and in a hurry. Today guys are carrying around extra $$$ battery packs/pods, they have the expense of chargers, both home and portable, I think it's just something that everyone has too easily bought into. I go to Dollar General, buy 24 AA Alkaline batteries for $5 and they are good batteries. I get around 13 - 15 hrs of continuous hunting from 8 of them so $10 nets me 48 batteries or 80hrs or more of hunting time. Compare the cost of the extra pod and rechargeable battery pack, plus the cost of the rechargeable battery packs every time you have to replace one, plus the cost/time of charging, etc. With just $40 I can buy myself 200 AA's, or about 350 hrs of uninterrupted hunting time. Batteries go dead I just change them, takes 5 minutes. That rechargeable pack goes dead, or worse yet, dies, then what are your options? You either have an expensive backup charged and ready or you have to stop for a recharge, or possibly even drop some $$$ for a new battery pack. In my experience rechargeable battery packs are a bad deal when you're comparing them to a simple, fairly cheap AA application. As long as I have fresh batteries the only thing that can prevent my continued cost efficient hunting is a machine failure of some type.... :icon_thumleft: "KIS"....keep it simple.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad they don't sell replacement packs for my Flir B 20... Dammit man.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all I been using for the last 4 years .(AA)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both, I have NimH rechargeable that lasts about 15-17 hours and I also have 2 spare AA battery pods, as BS says you always have a chage that way, I buy the AA 36 pack when on sale.....

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice posts I'm going to buy the AA as a back up.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I'm seriously thinking about Big Scoop's post. I have an alkaline pod as a backup but I have some difficulty with the tiny allan screws. Too small for my old fingers. A new design for the excal 2 charging system and battery cable would be good. I've had the battery cable replaced already and I just don't like way the prongs and gasket are designed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions