How Do You Know When Your In A Slump?

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Okay NJ is sanded in but good. With all of the replenishment projects there is sand every where. But I still have been pounding the water and dry up and down a 30 mile section. Last week water in the 50's this week pushing 100 degree temps. But I never give up you just have to put the time in.
Well I went out today late even with the heat. Just wanted to run the dry as the crowds have been gigantic. Fresh drops usual clad and trash. Most people gone for the day, but I noticed a group of teens running around having a good time. On my next pass I noticed 2 of the girls had a very small detector and were sweeping the beach. They were running and fooling around more then anything. They got ahead of me and as I approached they were on their knees digging where they had a target. As I got closer one of them came up to me and asked if they could borrow my scoop. What do you think they pulled out? A thin mens gold wedding band 14kt. And you would have thought they hit the lottery. They were screaming so loud everyone and anyone stopped to look. What could I do but shake my head. I didn't look at the make of the machine. It was very small shaft, with a very small coil. It had a needle to show you the targets. Just another day!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I enjoyed your post. Too bad they got your loot. NJ never gave me much gold. I've been happier in Florida enjoying the beaches and low tides.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJC it was most likely their first hunt with an entry level cheapo purchased from Radio Shack.
I run across this machine frequently being used by beginners, who I go out of my way to talk to and help as
most don't even know enough to fill in the holes they have dug.

In addition to helping promote a good image of metal detecting by sharing some of what I have learned, I found
that I often benefitted as much and many times even more than the newbies.

What amazes me is how many of them hit the jack pot on their first try, often on the same beach that I have pounded for days
with meager findings. The secret to their success often is that they look in places that an experienced hunter would not waste his or her time and effort hunting.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Interesting post, NJcigarman....your turn next.

Good luck out there

Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine they will never forget that find and may one day get in the hobby.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
When I first started as a kid I had a thirty dollar radio shack special I had saved up for. I found almost nothing with it but I kept at it eventually finding a silver ring. I certainly didn't have beginners luck...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will know your in a slump when you've went as long as I have without finding gold. :laughing7:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably a bountyhunter tracker IV, needle and two knobs with a tone break and ultra lite......about $99.00. just goes to show you you don't need to get fancy when hunting the dry sand!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread