Dry Suit

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster P.I. Dual Field; Minelab Sovereign GT; CTX 3030; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been wanting to get a dry suit for the longest time... They are usually expensive (for me)... Can't even guess the number of times I have tried to win an auction on EBAY... Well my patience finally paid off and i scored one for the small amount of 183.48 plus shipping. The link is Mustang Survival Dry Suit | eBay Hope this one works out. I got tired of putting on a wet suit as i do not like how they fit on me. I'm guessing it took me a whole year to get a good price. I want to get out more into the water as I have never seen anybody detect the water where I detect at.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday morning I got to the beach early and it was raining all week and the water was very cool & green color and water visibility very poor, i was the only one in the water, big schools of small bait fish jumping outta the water, from watchin shark week I seen these conditions described as tell tale signs that are perfect for a shark attack. I seen a dolphin heading in front of me in deeper water, the dolphin popped up chewing on a fish right out in front of me about 50 feet, I figured if he was around probably ok but I still waited to go out chest deep until it warmed up and people started swimming. I've only seen a few sharks metal detecting, a couple bonnet heads @ ft. Desoto park and one I spooked that was bigger than me in shallow water in tampa bay @ Bahia beach in ruskin (not the gulf) in 2005, that made my heart skip a beat and have always been wary, don't know what kind it was cause it happened so fast just that it was a shark and not a dolphin. Sir Gala Clad what were the rules the rookie diver was not following cause Im a rookie snorkeler ?
PT: As you are already aware, things happen fast so fast, that you have to be prepared for what most likely could happen during a dive.

There are hard fixed rules which you should follow every time, such as make sure all of your equipment is working properly, that you have taken everything you need, properly clean all your equipment when finished, store everything properly away. These are check list like procedures that apply to metal detecting, fishing, as well as diving.

The rules that I was referring to are rules of engagement/ guidelines /scenarios which are flexible in that they vary depending upon where you are diving, what you are diving for, your capabilities and that of your partner. Following these rules will give you time to think as you need to be cool, not panicked.

Almost every knows to buddy dive as you can drown in just a few inches of water if you black out. But there is much more to this unstated. One rule that I now follow (learned the hard way) is that at minimum your dive partner must be as disciplined and experienced as you are before he or she can be relied on.

It’s okay to snorkel with someone who is less capable as long as you realize that he or she can only be partially relied on. Also the rookie must know and agree to the minimum expected.

Let say you are diving off a small boat in the Florida Keys.
You have to be very careful when back flipping off a boat as one side may be in shallow water (over the reef) – good way of breaking your neck while the other side is deep.

When tank diving I always follow the anchor rope up and down as the Gulf Stream is strong. If I am tied to a rig offshore I follow the pilings down then back up. Sharks do not like to get under the rigs as there are cables which they can become tangled in. They will drown, if they cannot keep swimming.

Be especially wary of tide changes near inlets and bridges where the Atlantic and Gulf meet. There is no way you can swim against this.

Avoid anything bright, black is best, especially where there are great barracuda, which I fear far more than shark.

If you shoot a fish, do not attach it to a stringer off your belt; get it out of the water as fast as you can especially during the latter part of summer when the sharks are in.

Never shoot a large fish head on, as you can be impaled by your own spear when the fish takes off. Wait for a spine shot from the back to paralyze your trophy. Take turns when spearing large fish when there are sharks. One diver should spear and retrieve the fish while the other driver protects.

You normally will not see a shark as you are looking face down and the shark will be near the top. Develop the habit of scanning up toward the surface also as you will see squid, tunas, and shark there.

If you see a shark, don’t panick – there are far tastier things to eat than you. You might as well enjoy yourself and the view as such encounters are rare and there is no way that you can out swim a shark. I showed my dive partner from Germany who I paired off with during a dive off the keys from a large dive boat.

After seeing several squid, we saw a large shark with a pilot fish guiding it (just like a scene in National Geographic). It was incredibly beautiful. My partner looking concerned asked what to do, and I calmly said lets swim closer to get a better look. You should have seen the expression on his face after his bubbles cleared. It was a surreal sight as the pilot fish and shark casually swam through a group of approx 68 divers with us following. What was amazing is that none of the other divers saw it and they would not believe us after the dive thinking that we were just joking. Not even the boat captain or crew would believe us. Even though it was a sight I never will forget, I sure wish I had a camera that day.

Either the shark was curious, or was following the pilot fish.
Most sharks are timid, and they are not programmed for their prey swimming toward them. An exception may be the great white which is territorial.

You can tell by its front fins and action(s) when it is aggressive. I prefer to swim toward a shark rather than hold my ground, what you don’t want to do is panick and trash the water sprinting for shore. This will trigger aggressive behavior in the shark; many prefer to follow their prey back to shallow water before attacking.

As you can see different rules will apply to taking pictures, cave diving, diving in the surf etc.

I hope this helps.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugggggggggggggggggggggg SHARKS......................... that crosses my mind every single time i venture more than three feet out into the surf Ron!!!! My theory is that if there are always surfers out there, than I should be alright????????????? Even though there are sharks out there and nobody else hunting the water here in Southern California means two things........ 1. Getting bit by a shark is highly probable and 2. There must be a lot of gold rings out there awaiting my scoop!!! Perhaps the people metal detecting don't know about water hunting???? From the research I have done, there is more gold in the water???? Man, makes me think twice, even 3 or 4 times before entering the water!!!! If you have any advice, I am all ears!!!!

Your first theory about surfers is sound, especially if the surfers are on short boards which is about the same size as a seal. The most likely dangerous shark is a migrating white shark which feed most likely on seals.
Further North is more dangerous as the water is colder and there is also sea otters to feed on as well as salmon
which must be shared with the Orcas (killer whales) "bon appetite"

As far as shark being attracted by the magnetic fields of you metal detector " UNLIKELY" in my opinion.

Here is what I think is happening, regarding sharks being attracted to the electromagnetic field generated by your metal detector.
I have noticed schools of fish repeatedly follow me (pied piper) in a protected lagoon as I sweep/scuff the coil across the bottom. What is happening is that the movement of the coil dislodges things such as small worms/shrimp which fish can feed on. The amount of food is increased and accelerated when I dig to retrieve a target as it further release nutrients as well as food from broken shells. As this effect can easily be replicated by continued sweeping/scuffing of the coil along the bottom with the metal detector turned off. It proves that it has nothing to do with the magnetic field from the metal detector.

The electrosensory ability of sharks and their relatives allows them to home in on these fish which you have attracted The ability of sharks to detect electric fields is almost as precise as the best physics laboratories in the country when it comes to sensing tiny electric effects. They can use this "sixth sense" to find food and even mates, since all living animals create their own electric fields. When a fish swims, or even moves its gills, it creates a change in the surrounding electric field that sharks can detect with the hundreds of electrically sensitive, gel-filled canals around their heads.

Most likely the electromagnetic fields generated by your metal detector will cause the sharks which are attracted by the foods you have stirred up to avoid you or bite the coil in frustration " where is the meat" as it would overwhelm the sharks electrically sensitive canals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just want to caution everyone out there...I won the Ebay auction for the dry suit almost two weeks ago and still have not received it. I paid for it the same day that i won it. Still no tracking number... The guy contacted me and said he had a family emergency which is understandable... he told me he would ship it out last week and still nothing... I'm kinda bummed... I had to open a case, now just waiting for the seller to respond... Not sure how it works on Ebay with getting my money back... Does Ebay refund my money, including the 40 something dollars that i paid for shipping? Man, i really wanted that dry suit... Thoughts anybody?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you will get your Paypal money back. I have been thur that twice, once with a very small purchase and I am getting ready to do another on a part I ordered for my lathe. 61.oo dollars total, you will get all back...
I just nailed another drysuit for 108.oo for my buddy Greg Diablo..
OBN0001.jpg
And here is a link to a nice one for sale

Multifabs Survival Immersion Suit | eBay

I would offer 125. shipped

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes you will get your Paypal money back. I have been thur that twice, once with a very small purchase and I am getting ready to do another on a part I ordered for my lathe. 61.oo dollars total, you will get all back...
I just nailed another drysuit for 108.oo for my buddy Greg Diablo..
View attachment 840540
And here is a link to a nice one for sale

Multifabs Survival Immersion Suit | eBay

I would offer 125. shipped

Now I'm getting interested as the summer is winding down.

Is there a go to source for reviews on dry suits? Optional accessories? Boots? Weight... etc...

In an earlier and younger life dove over 100+ dives from zero viz blackwater rivers, to caves to deep ocean (100 ft+).

Saw one shark, no snakes, and no gators.

Most of the fear is in your head.

The greatest danger will be currents and weather.

Most beachgoers die from drowning due to exhaustion.

Remember floating like a dead man in the pool as a kid? Use this technique... floating face down, bring your arms together under water like a big clapping motion to help lift your head for a breath. Repeat until released from the rip current.

Probably the lifeguards will be scrambling and crapping their pants... so just ride it out until help comes along.

Also, a whistle attached to your shoulder is a no brainer.

A floatation device is a no brainer. Even a glow stick or two you could crack at night is good common sense.

When you start talking drysuits you start to get pretty hardcore. Often you will be alone. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw something on tv about a wetsuit that looked light gray and had dark black stripes and they said it didn't attract sharks. Anybody else see this, I think it was on the news.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw something on tv about a wetsuit that looked light gray and had dark black stripes and they said it didn't attract sharks. Anybody else see this, I think it was on the news.

Well it is "SHARK WEEK" on The Discovery Channel.
Watch that and see if any of the professional shark divers are wearing that suit.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally received my dry suit from EBAY and like it a lot. I know very little about dry suits. I guess I could test this out myself, but thought I would ask and see if a more experienced dry suit user knows. The bottom of the dry suit has a thin material in which the feet fit into. Are these considered socks? Is it water proof or must one wear dive boots to keep the water out? Speaking of dive boots, what type/ brand would you recommend please? I am 6'3 and this dry suit is huge!!! I do not mind though, because I am guessing all the extra room is if I want to dress really warm? Also, can you use the dry suit and just use booties like I am already using, or should I get a boot?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finally getting your dry suite.
Like to know how it works out in use.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah I remember something like seeing something like that around the bay area.
The swimmer did not get bit by sharks, even thought he did not make it (drifted ashore).
IIRC the currents are very strong off of Alcatraz!

On a more serious note, I believe that the wetsuit is camouflaged to make it more difficult to see the shape. In Hawaii, divers often wear camouflage wet suites as the fish are shy where their is spear fishing.

I know of several surfers who paint their surf boards using the colors and patterns of poisonus tropical sea snakes.
Just because they did not get munched, does not mean it works.:dontknow:

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally received my dry suit from EBAY and like it a lot. I know very little about dry suits. I guess I could test this out myself, but thought I would ask and see if a more experienced dry suit user knows. The bottom of the dry suit has a thin material in which the feet fit into. Are these considered socks? Is it water proof or must one wear dive boots to keep the water out? Speaking of dive boots, what type/ brand would you recommend please? I am 6'3 and this dry suit is huge!!! I do not mind though, because I am guessing all the extra room is if I want to dress really warm? Also, can you use the dry suit and just use booties like I am already using, or should I get a boot?

Good!!

Yes the lite gortex sox will keep all water out. Just figure in the size of soxs you will be wearing then get yourself some good dive boots which will give you more stability. The booties are fine but you want them with tuff soles. That's a nice suit you have.
DSC_8425.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread