Dry Suit

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster P.I. Dual Field; Minelab Sovereign GT; CTX 3030; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been wanting to get a dry suit for the longest time... They are usually expensive (for me)... Can't even guess the number of times I have tried to win an auction on EBAY... Well my patience finally paid off and i scored one for the small amount of 183.48 plus shipping. The link is Mustang Survival Dry Suit | eBay Hope this one works out. I got tired of putting on a wet suit as i do not like how they fit on me. I'm guessing it took me a whole year to get a good price. I want to get out more into the water as I have never seen anybody detect the water where I detect at.

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting to get a dry suit for the longest time... They are usually expensive (for me)... Can't even guess the number of times I have tried to win an auction on EBAY... Well my patience finally paid off and i scored one for the small amount of 183.48 plus shipping. The link is Mustang Survival Dry Suit | eBay Hope this one works out. I got tired of putting on a wet suit as i do not like how they fit on me. I'm guessing it took me a whole year to get a good price. I want to get out more into the water as I have never seen anybody detect the water where I detect at.

I am really curious as to how it works out.
Am particularly interested in how hot the survival suit would be out of the water. I am in Hawaii where the water gets chilly in the winter and is the same temp as the air in the summer. Even during the winter, the weather is tropical and can be overwhelming when the trades are not blowing. I don’t even know where to look to start: shortie wet suite, wet suite, survival dry suite?

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The funny thing is, I probably will not get to use the dry suit this year due to an upcoming deployment in August for ten months. I will miss the cold weather here in Southern California. I couldn't pass this opportunity up so at least I will have it for next season once I return from deployment. The water here is rather chilly all year round. I will let you know how it works out..... Actually I am curious myself, lol. We will be going to Hawaii soon as part of our transit to wherever... I have not decided if I am going to bring my equipment with me or not. Most of the liberty ports we visit requires us to have liberty buddies in order to go out and not many people share the passion of metal detecting as I do. For me, it has all been trial and error. The full wet suit that I have bugs me in my genital area as I do not like how tight the suit fits. I'm hoping that the dry suit cures this?

DrunkBrother

Jan 22, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-track, Excalibur 2 ,CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heya Guys,
I will share my Super Buy, locally in New Zealand :
Scored Crewsaver Neoprene immersion Suit for only 80$!!!!!!!!!!!! You can not beat that!!!!
Final.JPG

Unpacked and donned in under 2 minutes
Fire ******ant Neoprene construction
Withstands the impact of a jump into
water from 4.5m
Prevents a typical wearer’s core body
temperature from dropping by more than
2C after six hours in calm water of 0-2C

Now i can spent all the time i want in the water during those cold cold nights :-)

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heya Guys,
I will share my Super Buy, locally in New Zealand :
Scored Crewsaver Neoprene immersion Suit for only 80$!!!!!!!!!!!! You can not beat that!!!!
View attachment 831800

Unpacked and donned in under 2 minutes
Fire ******ant Neoprene construction
Withstands the impact of a jump into
water from 4.5m
Prevents a typical wearer’s core body
temperature from dropping by more than
2C after six hours in calm water of 0-2C

Now i can spent all the time i want in the water during those cold cold nights :-)
Very Nice DB!!!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there is a reason why no one hunts the water where you hunt? You live in Calif. What in Calif. that keep Hunter out of the water? And if your Dry suit is Red I won't get in the water in your area . Do you have Seals in your area? You know . You never here about people hunting in the water in Calif. Watch Shark Week it might help you under stand why people don't hunt the water in Calif.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have several drysuits, and just used one in the Chesapeake bay in june, Air temp was warm (80) but once in the water (66) all was fine. That's a great price, and a great catch. Mustang Suits are the best and built very well. The MSD Should last you years. With the drysuit you can dress as needed, one thing you may want to be aware of is check your boots out, winter I wear heavy socks, spring and fall no socks, so you will need two different sets of boots. Mine are size 10 then 11 for the heavy socks of winter. I have payed from 63 dollars to 350....SO You guys got some great deals....
Get some zipper wax from the dive shop, talc power for the head. Nothing like get out of the drysuit, and being dry when everyone else is shivering, wet. Then have to get in the car wet...you peal off the suit, your dry and go home clean, no salty, sandy feeling...
I do wear a PFD most of my time out, special in adverse conditions.
Good Luck and be safe.......

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have to wear boots?
After years in the islands wearing flip flops, I have difficulty wearing shoes.
Also, I have difficulty with one leg swelling from endima following treatment of a severe staff infection.

Would like information on the PFD you use. I am looking for a one vest/camel back that does all: flotation when needed, hydration, carry rations, maybe even flairs, water proof cell phone/transponder. If you get sucked in Hawaii, most likely the only way back is by jet ski/helicopter, that is if you are found.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I really want a dry suit. I currently use a 5 mill wet suit. I have bid on a dozen dry suits but they always go over $250. My problem is finding one that will fit me at 250 lbs.

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe there is a reason why no one hunts the water where you hunt? You live in Calif. What in Calif. that keep Hunter out of the water? And if your Dry suit is Red I won't get in the water in your area . Do you have Seals in your area? You know . You never here about people hunting in the water in Calif. Watch Shark Week it might help you under stand why people don't hunt the water in Calif.
ugggggggggggggggggggggg SHARKS......................... that crosses my mind every single time i venture more than three feet out into the surf Ron!!!! My theory is that if there are always surfers out there, than I should be alright????????????? Even though there are sharks out there and nobody else hunting the water here in Southern California means two things........ 1. Getting bit by a shark is highly probable and 2. There must be a lot of gold rings out there awaiting my scoop!!! Perhaps the people metal detecting don't know about water hunting???? From the research I have done, there is more gold in the water???? Man, makes me think twice, even 3 or 4 times before entering the water!!!! If you have any advice, I am all ears!!!!

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After years in the islands wearing flip flops, I have difficulty wearing shoes.
Also, I have difficulty with one leg swelling from endima following treatment of a severe staff infection.

Would like information on the PFD you use. I am looking for a one vest/camel back that does all: flotation when needed, hydration, carry rations, maybe even flairs, water proof cell phone/transponder. If you get sucked in Hawaii, most likely the only way back is by jet ski/helicopter, that is if you are found.

SGC, I don't think you have to wear boots...... I use high top "booties" here and love them...... never know what you may step on, plus it keeps the sand off my feet..... (as funny as that sounds, i know the beach is to enjoy and have the sand run between your toes.....) BUT.... when metal detecting, I like the protection, plus if you forget to put sun screen on the tops of your feet and you have booties on, you dont have to worry about a sunburn!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really want a dry suit. I currently use a 5 mill wet suit. I have bid on a dozen dry suits but they always go over $250. My problem is finding one that will fit me at 250 lbs.

On the Spot...... I am really excited about my dry suit..... the one i got off ebay fits someone up to 250 lbs, so they are out there, you just have to keep checking and bid at the right time..... I particularly kept looking during the last month since it is summer time now and most people are not looking for a dry suit because it is warm outside....My best advice is to keep looking.... I guess I just got lucky.... very lucky..... almost like when I find all the gold rings to date.... lucky....

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have several drysuits, and just used one in the Chesapeake bay in june, Air temp was warm (80) but once in the water (66) all was fine. That's a great price, and a great catch. Mustang Suits are the best and built very well. The MSD Should last you years. With the drysuit you can dress as needed, one thing you may want to be aware of is check your boots out, winter I wear heavy socks, spring and fall no socks, so you will need two different sets of boots. Mine are size 10 then 11 for the heavy socks of winter. I have payed from 63 dollars to 350....SO You guys got some great deals....
Get some zipper wax from the dive shop, talc power for the head. Nothing like get out of the drysuit, and being dry when everyone else is shivering, wet. Then have to get in the car wet...you peal off the suit, your dry and go home clean, no salty, sandy feeling...
I do wear a PFD most of my time out, special in adverse conditions.
Good Luck and be safe.......

OBN, very good advice on the zipper wax and talc powder!!! This is my first dry suit and I will follow your advice, thank you!!! (someone has me scared about sharks now; though :(

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron: You got to back in the water and away from shark week before it is too late.

I have spent thousands of hours diving in California, Mexico, New England, Florida and Hawaii.
Have seen hundreds of sharks while diving and fishing and have only had to fend off one aggressive shark, which was attacking an inexperienced diver (did not follow the rules) off of Panama City, Florida. There were many times when we had to get out of the water or just did not go in because of sharks, but it did not matter as we always brought along our fishing gear.

In my opinion the most dangerous part of diving, detecting, fishing is the drive to the beach.
Off all the places I have dove, I consider the Gulf of Mexico to be the most dangerous for shark attack as it is the breeding ground for several species of dangerous sharks the most dangerous being the: Bull shark, Tiger Shark, and Hammer Head. The Bull is especially dangerous as it can and does swim up rivers which a white shark cannot do. Next would be the Tiger which has chisel teeth as it primarily feeds on turtles. It is unpredictable and will eat about anything including garbage cans, license plates, etc. I would consider the hammer head the least dangerous with its cat like teeth. If it locked on to someone you could pull the swimmer and the shark back to shore.What makes the gulf especially dangerous is that it is heavily fished and in some areas fished out so there is little for the sharks to eat.

Most of the shark attacks in Hawaii occur in the boat, by unhappy sharks which were pulled out of the water. The pelagic sharks that are only in Hawaiian waters at certain times such as when blue foot boobies are leaning to fly, of when monk seals are breeding are the most dangerous. Body boarders are most often attacked as they resemble a turtle, especially when the surfer is wearing small hand and foot fins.

If few detect in the water in California; it would most likely be because they are not able to because of the heavy surf.

As for colors, I avoid buying surf board with red fins for obvious reason(s). Colors that I would not wear besides any shade or red are, oh boy jelllow and yum orange most likely seen on survival gear, which sharks favor.

You have to be careful near seals, especially during breeding season. Bull seals can be especially aggressive at that time and can easily crack your ribs.
Short board surfers are most often attacked by white sharks as they look like a seal. Many shark attack victims survive after being bitten by a white shark as it uses an exploratory bite to determine fat content and will spit out a human (too boney) then will swim off looking for something better to eat.

The few times that I watched shark week, I really disliked it finding the shows over sensationalized, and disgusting. Even worse than the current metal detecting shows which I also consider in poor taste (pun intended).

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron: You got to back in the water and away from shark week before it is too late.

I have spent thousands of hours diving in California, Mexico, New England, Florida and Hawaii.
Have seen hundreds of sharks while diving and fishing and have only had to fend off one aggressive shark, which was attacking an inexperienced diver (did not follow the rules) off of Panama City, Florida. There were many times when we had to get out of the water or just did not go in because of sharks, but it did not matter as we always brought along our fishing gear.

In my opinion the most dangerous part of diving, detecting, fishing is the drive to the beach.
Off all the places I have dove, I consider the Gulf of Mexico to be the most dangerous for shark attack as it is the breeding ground for several species of dangerous sharks the most dangerous being the: Bull shark, Tiger Shark, and Hammer Head. The Bull is especially dangerous as it can and does swim up rivers which a white shark cannot do. Next would be the Tiger which has chisel teeth as it primarily feeds on turtles. It is unpredictable and will eat about anything including garbage cans, license plates, etc. I would consider the hammer head the least dangerous with its cat like teeth. If it locked on to someone you could pull the swimmer and the shark back to shore.What makes the gulf especially dangerous is that it is heavily fished and in some areas fished out so there is little for the sharks to eat.

Most of the shark attacks in Hawaii occur in the boat, by unhappy sharks which were pulled out of the water. The pelagic sharks that are only in Hawaiian waters at certain times such as when blue foot boobies are leaning to fly, of when monk seals are breeding are the most dangerous. Body boarders are most often attacked as they resemble a turtle, especially when the surfer is wearing small hand and foot fins.

If few detect in the water in California; it would most likely be because they are not able to because of the heavy surf.

As for colors, I avoid buying surf board with red fins for obvious reason(s). Colors that I would not wear besides any shade or red are, oh boy jelllow and yum orange most likely seen on survival gear, which sharks favor.

You have to be careful near seals, especially during breeding season. Bull seals can be especially aggressive at that time and can easily crack your ribs.
Short board surfers are most often attacked by white sharks as they look like a seal. Many shark attack victims survive after being bitten by a white shark as it uses an exploratory bite to determine fat content and will spit out a human (too boney) then will swim off looking for something better to eat.

The few times that I watched shark week, I really disliked it finding the shows over sensationalized, and disgusting. Even worse than the current metal detecting shows which I also consider in poor taste (pun intended).

SGC, Thank you for that post!!! You know, after thinking about it, the Navy Seals train in these waters and I have not heard about any shark attacks on them... (maybe they (Navy Seals) are trained to elude them, lol)..... I guess I am no longer concerned...... but man, you never know...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
SGC, Thank you for that post!!! You know, after thinking about it, the Navy Seals train in these waters and I have not heard about any shark attacks on them... (maybe they (Navy Seals) are trained to elude them, lol)..... I guess I am no longer concerned...... but man, you never know...
I think the sharks might be the least of your worries. I have seen some of those California waves, not user friendly at all.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I do because of the hardpack bottoms, and ruff terra. Kicking a scoop in bare feet makes my feet sore..so I wear boots all the time.

Would like information on the PFD you use.
One is a sterns fishing vest, it carries my treasure if I find anything good. Also my PinPointer for Bay, lake use only.
And my bottled water. Also hook my sifter to it.

The other is a regular Life Jacket. Both are warm when walking to the beach but once in the water, not bad. Once I know an area I will take them off if needed. But at the ocean where the water is ruff, I wear the regular Life jacket no matter what because of the rips, and adverse conditions.

OBN0140.jpg

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday morning I got to the beach early and it was raining all week and the water was very cool & green color and water visibility very poor, i was the only one in the water, big schools of small bait fish jumping outta the water, from watchin shark week I seen these conditions described as tell tale signs that are perfect for a shark attack. I seen a dolphin heading in front of me in deeper water, the dolphin popped up chewing on a fish right out in front of me about 50 feet, I figured if he was around probably ok but I still waited to go out chest deep until it warmed up and people started swimming. I've only seen a few sharks metal detecting, a couple bonnet heads @ ft. Desoto park and one I spooked that was bigger than me in shallow water in tampa bay @ Bahia beach in ruskin (not the gulf) in 2005, that made my heart skip a beat and have always been wary, don't know what kind it was cause it happened so fast just that it was a shark and not a dolphin. Sir Gala Clad what were the rules the rookie diver was not following cause Im a rookie snorkeler ?

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wright the Seals do train in thise water ,but wear Black suit not Red ( the color of BLOOD ) Think about it , Black or Red.

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the sharks might be the least of your worries. I have seen some of those California waves, not user friendly at all.....

Ha, that is the other problem for sure..... the waves here are rather cumbersome!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread