Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind, if any do you use? I personally just put what I find in my pocket, but then again Im just starting out and this will be my first year water detecting the ocean.

Please include a picture or a website that has pictures of your pouch, I'm going to try and take what I feel is the best part of each one and have my mom sew me up one, so any ideas or suggestions let me know, she makes handbags for women so I know she make a finds pouch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you doing with all the trash you dig? Most of us pick up and remove all the rusty nails, wire, bottle caps etc so we don't have to dig them again next time. I use a simple canvas nail apron available at any hardware store for a few dollars.

Well I put coins and other goodies in my right pocket, and trash goes in my left, and if its to big (pop can etc.) I detect my way to a trash can and empty my pockets. Now if I'm at the local lake I have five rare earth magnets in my scoop that holds all the Bobbie pins and screw caps, works very well, foil and other non sticking metal goes in left pocket.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I use a Vinyl pouch that I got at K-Mart along time ago. It's size might be 8 X 8, It had a slit in the middle where you just hooked it over your car Cigarette Lighter ( how long ago was that ). I just cut two more slits in the back and inserted my Belt. I put all my finds in it, good for a day of detecting, Gold goes in my pants pocket. I don't like extra weight when detecting ( no problem holding 2 Day's of Detector Finds in May 2103 )- goldnugget-
CoinampButtonDisplay1.jpg

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's the best I have seen just about everybody I run into at the beach is using it :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
Same pouch Ken and I use. I tried apron types before and if you lose a good find you will hate yourself for not getting something that zips up and drains like John's Bag.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same pouch Ken and I use. I tried apron types before and if you lose a good find you will hate yourself for not getting something that zips up and drains like John's Bag.

Just received my second pouch from John. I'm so impressed with the quality and decided to use one for land hunts too!

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I've only got a few pouches left but more are being manufactured. I should have a good supply in about a month. In the meantime they are available from Wayne at Metaldetectingstuff.com or Joe DeMarco.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres what I use, the bag as a mesh liner, one inner and one outer mesh pocket. Awesome bag I love it.
IMG_0082_zps04dfaad6.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the hot weather I rigged my gear to a rear mount Excal of the tac vest, it is a camelbak so my bladder is my water supply (no need to carry a water bottle). Inside each inner panel are two zipper mesh pockets and two velcro mesh pockets. Garbage in one treasure in another and two 2 spare. Plenty of expansion for other items.

CAMELBAK DELTA-5 TACTICAL VEST - PoliceLink

This looks like what I am looking for, I just want to be sure that it is right for what I need to do.
As I am not familiar with camelbaks, I have several questions.
It looks like the you can clip the shaft of your detector sling, and landyard to your stand up water scoop to the left right shoulder D rings above the four webbed pouches- is that true?
It appears to be designed for dry and wet sand hunting.
It looks like you can only drink water from it, is that true?
How do you keep the water from tasting stale over time?
Is it cool (vent well) when dry sand hunting?
Seems like the front zipper would be a weak point, how do you keep it from jamming

I would also like to Shallow water hunt with it if I can add an inflationable device to hold my head above water if I get in too deep or am sucked away.
If you have used it in the water is it comfortable and does it drain rapidly when you get out of the water.
Can it be used with snorkel and mask?
Can it be rigged with a quick release weight belt to the bottom straps (most likely pouches for soft pounded lead?
Are there D rings in the back where you can attach a safety rope to pull you back to shore by your partner?

Are you referring to rear mounting the control pod of the Excalibur to the back of the vest?
If so how do you change back and forth between discrimator and all metals mode and adjust it.

I would appreciate any answers based on actual experience with this or similar vests
Thank You

Last edited:

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig alot of beer cans and other junk so I'm thinking of getting something with a large area like a shotgun shell pouch. Drymate makes one for around 15 dollars with 5 compartments and lots of room for junk. Not mesh, but pockets do have drain holes.
product_hunt_shell_deluxe_3.png

Last edited:

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after using the Garret finds bag and then going to a mesh bottom, I cant imagine having a solid bottom bag again.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one from kellyco. Really nice has a big compartment inside for trash with a hidden pouch for your jewelry. And a zipped pouch outside I use for coins its heavy duty mesh. Been using it for about 6 years no problems.

I suspect it is a matter of how you use it, how often you hunt, the conditions you hunt under, and how hard you are on your equipment.

I wear the Kellyco Mesh bag on my right side with a free trash bag provided by Mine Lab on my left side on a light web waist belt.

I use the front zippered pouch for my car keys and items I have encased in plastic: {zinc penny, nickel, clad dime) which tend to float,to compare these against the target's tone with my Excalibur. I use the large web pouch for low value finds and the hidden small web pouch for valuable finds. I like to carry two 6 0z fishing sinkers in the large pouch to so that it does not flop around when empty.

I really like the way that this mesh bag cuts through water (no noticeable drag).

What I do not like is that I have difficulty closing the hidden pouch (the Velcro strip should be wider and longer) when wearing it on my waist. Further, I would like the hidden pouch to be lower in the larger pousch so that a valuable item does not fall out if you bend over / fall when the Velcro is open.

I would prefer the the Velcro on the larger pouch be on the front of the pouch so that it would overlap when closed for added security.

Both pouches need to be replaced after only a year and a half of hunting.
The zipper on the outer pouch is jammed and one edge it torn loose.
The free trash pouch supplied by Mine Lab has fallen apart and is in tatters.

I really like the light weigh and low drag of the Kellyco Web pouch so I most likely buy a new one
or replace it with a similar on of heavier duty.

I like the light weight the web belt, but am annoyed by it's tendency to twist (not stiff enough).

Don't get me wrong, this is a good pouch and a good buy for the money.
It's just that I would like something that is easier to close and keep closed. The other pouches I have looked at appear to be clumsy in comparison and most likely would have more drag in the water.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the KellyCo model for about 3 years now and it's still in fantastic shape, had all types of crap stuffed into it.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the Garrett camo pouch and intend to modify it with some drain holes and 1/4 inch brass eyelets. If you watch the video on you tube: Gold and Silver: Summer Lake Hunting, you will see how the guy modified his to drain the water and not float upside down which is what happened to me July-13 when I lost a gold ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I put coins and other goodies in my right pocket, and trash goes in my left, and if its to big (pop can etc.) I detect my way to a trash can and empty my pockets. Now if I'm at the local lake I have five rare earth magnets in my scoop that holds all the Bobbie pins and screw caps, works very well, foil and other non sticking metal goes in left pocket.
I just put my finds in my pocket...never had a problem and never lost anything...I have two shower curtain clips on my hat string for rings, I started with one but kept checking to make sure it didn't come undone, so now I double clip em...I wear basketball type shorts and they have big, deep pockets that hold cans or any other trash.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put my finds in my pocket...never had a problem and never lost anything...I have two shower curtain clips on my hat string for rings, I started with one but kept checking to make sure it didn't come undone, so now I double clip em...I wear basketball type shorts and they have big, deep pockets that hold cans or any other trash.

I could never get away with that hunting where I hunt, shorts are a no no and deep woods off is mandatory lol. RI is small and the local beaches and ponds hold half a dozen plus MD'ers after the sun worshipers go home, one look down the coastline and you can see people swinging everywhere. I stay away from that and hunt alot of private land with owners permission, most of my finds are from colonial days.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I've only got a few pouches left but more are being manufactured. I should have a good supply in about a month. In the meantime they are available from Wayne at Metaldetectingstuff.com or Joe DeMarco.

It took a lot longer than I expected but I have pouches available again on eBay. Also still available from Metaldetectingstuff.com and DeMarco Detector Sales.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
This is the same for me and it works perfectly

http://bit.ly/12GJILB

I think this is the same pouch I use. I think it got in from a place in New Jersey. Unfortunately, after several years, the pouch started to rip where the belt was sewn into the pouch. I took a some belt webbing, shoe goo and heavy nylon shrimp net thread and glued and sewed the webbing inside the pouch over where the belt was sewn in, in order to stabilize the original stitching that was tearing through the back of the pouch. Other than that problem, I love the pouch. However, looking at the Kellyco pouch, I like the idea of having a "hidden" pocket for treasure finds. Good luck with your project. Beach Papa

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry to hear of your problem with the pouch. I now make them with Cordura fabric. Cordura is much stronger and should last for many years. The smaller lower pocket is used for special finds like gold rings. People can't see what's inside unless they were to reach over and unzip it, and that's not going to happen. ~John

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had Johns pouch since my first few hunts, 2007 summer...Just got another as a backup, keep it in my truck all the time. Forgot it one time, was lost without. So for me a backup is a must.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread