CTX stops working

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Now when turning on the CTX it reads USB Connected. You can not do a thing . This is another problem the CTX has been having. I called ML today lets see how long this one takes to fix. Just received my new plastic screw for the armrest today an put it on. Got ready to go hunt turned on CTX to check battery power and the USB connection came on. Very good machine when it works but this is getting very bad. :BangHead:

IT is working now. Opened cap and let it air out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Though too early to draw a lot of conclusions, I've enjoyed the flexibility of this machine more than any of the others I have owned. (Fisher 1280, Minelab Sov, Minelab Excal, and White Dual Field)

I have drawn the conclusion that it is my best wet sand and very low surf machine. Don't care what you do it is not for waves. To hard to swing in deeper surf to get the seawater option to work properly . Screen, the works, width of shaft and coil shape make it so hard in deep water and catch to much of any wave. I'll take my water machine in the surf and use the CTX on the wet sand and shallow surf.

Last edited:

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have sort of come to the same conclusion... sand/surf which is 90% of my hunting. I've wrapped my CTX with ziplock bags and rubberbands and have eliminated the majority of the sand accumulation.

I'm going fairly far out in the surf this evening searching for a lost wedding ring. Thought to myself an Excal would be nice about now... LOL!!

This will be a nice test.

One positive... I've shed 5 pounds in a week and a half of swinging the CTX for 2-3 hours roughly every day or every other day!

Would love to get my wife hooked onto it just from a workout standpoint.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I have sort of come to the same conclusion... sand/surf which is 90% of my hunting. I've wrapped my CTX with ziplock bags and rubberbands and have eliminated the majority of the sand accumulation.

I'm going fairly far out in the surf this evening searching for a lost wedding ring. Thought to myself an Excal would be nice about now... LOL!!

This will be a nice test.

One positive... I've shed 5 pounds in a week and a half of swinging the CTX for 2-3 hours roughly every day or every other day!

Would love to get my wife hooked onto it just from a workout standpoint.

That is very funny. Good luck finding the ring. I hope it is not to rough and your ziplock bags and rubber bands hold up. You need to show a picture of your bagging method. This may help Minelab with a fix.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a new shoot-off of the CTX "just for the beach & water" on down the road. It's obvious that the technology provides a noticeable improvement, now it's just a matter designing a truly water-proof wrapper and I think you'll see that in the not too distant future.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a new shoot-off of the CTX "just for the beach & water" on down the road. It's obvious that the technology provides a noticeable improvement, now it's just a matter designing a truly water-proof wrapper and I think you'll see that in the not too distant future.

I hope your correct . Been using my Excalibur and CZ 21 while the CTX is in the shop. the more I use them the more i like them. Really a difference swinging them in the water. Fisher's rumored machine may also be something to try. But as soon as my CTX gets back I'm taking it to the beach and shallow surf. In my area I really believe I can find more with the CTX in the wet sand then I could with my water machines in the water, unless it gets more sanded in.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope your correct . Been using my Excalibur and CZ 21 while the CTX is in the shop. the more I use them the more i like them. Really a difference swinging them in the water. Fisher's rumored machine may also be something to try. But as soon as my CTX gets back I'm taking it to the beach and shallow surf. In my area I really believe I can find more with the CTX in the wet sand then I could with my water machines in the water, unless it gets more sanded in.

We have more then enough sand here already. There's so many pylons on the beach now it's like driving through a construction zone in some areas. The sand is so deep and soft in some areas they're diverting the traffic around it. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher could make a waterproof F75...it could compete with the AT pro...the AQUALAND 75.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher's rumored machine may also be something to try.
There will be another by Early next spring...Not a fisher. And from one of the Best in the US.
I have drawn the conclusion that it is my best wet sand and very low surf machine. Don't care what you do it is not for waves.
MB, See I told you would like the CTX. The only machine I would say that might be better is a Excalibur with a good set of headphones and a remote PP, having the op to jump around would put the excal in a better position.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will be another by Early next spring...Not a fisher. And from one of the Best in the US.

MB, See I told you would like the CTX. The only machine I would say that might be better is a Excalibur with a good set of headphones and a remote PP, having the op to jump around would put the excal in a better position.

I met a hunter on the beach the other evening with a CTX, he cherished it and cussed it in nearly the same sentence. He then told me he also had an Excal as a backup machine and I asked him if he had the mods you mentioned, he shook his head and said, "No". So I pretty much told him the same thing..."Do the mods on the Excal and you might not miss the CTX quite so much." But I think a lot of hunters simply like the idea of being able to see those numbers verses listening to tones, whispers, etc.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
" But I think a lot of hunters simply like the idea of being able to see those numbers verses listening to tones, whispers, etc.

I never had a machine with a screen befor, but I must say I never look at the vid numbers. Mine are all over the place with seawater on and wet sand. I really don't have a clue what the numbers even mean except fe or co values. The target on the screen is almost always correct. Thats what i will look at when i hit a traget. If it is in one square I know it's a penny. I always dig it because Max proved it could also be a 10k school ring ( my wife's favorite thing to return). I just listen, look at the taget location on the screen and then hit the magic pinpoint. If the screen target is low it is always junk, or the sound I assigned to the tone id profile lets me know also.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used

I guess that's Whites? They really never made much a VLF for the water, but their PI is a beast. I really want to try your set up. Let me know next time you come over to hunt. That remote PP sure would make a big difference. Can't believe my knob hasn't broke yet.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To many of todays younger hunters were raised with technology and think if the $$$ detector says quarter, it has to be a quarter. They can't understand the scale also lists silver, gold, and tabs at the same time.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to hunt land and lived by the tones with the SE, once I got a tone I liked I would start looking at the numbers. They do jump but you have to remember the deeper the more they jump. Also, if you know the range of numbers that you are looking for, say Gold with the SE was from 4:27 (which was a gold coin) to about 11:03 (small ladies gold) you can bet they will pop up in the jumping of the numbers. Been kicking around getting a CTX for the purpose of I want to make headphone for it and the only way is to have one in hands.....Sounds like a good excuse for another toy....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread