Pondering a thought....

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how many of youz' guyz' ( & galz), while at the beach detecting, do you collect sea glass? I just started to. When I get back to Wyoming, I want to make some "fairy houses" for outside in our gardens. Wyoming has tons of flat smooth rocks that I plan on using and want to use sea glass for the windows. (Another craft plan) Plus maybe some jewelry if the piece of glass is right. Some people sell sea glass on ebay, but you can kinda tell who tumbles the glass instead of it being from the sea. Yesterday I found a nice chunk of what looked to be , as black as can be, piece from a bottle bottom. For some reason, I held it up to the sun, and to my surprise it is a beautiful amythyst color! Just pondering the thought.....:hello2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah.....after a long 6 months here if Florida, I finally get to go home to Cheyenne on August 13th !!!! I never expected for my grandson sitting to be 6 months L O N G.... And I am very HAPPY to go home!:occasion14:

Last edited:

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't collect glass myself but have met several people on the beach who do. I guess it is quite a big hobby for some!

If I could invent a glass detector I'd be rich!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummmm no.... i even get the sharks teeth people going nuts when i just dump them. However.... i have collected a few cell phones and sun glasses recently..... dang things pay almost as much as gold.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crafters Rule! I'm always amazed at what people can do with things....the ability to turn complete junk into works of art, etc. Some of this stuff is absolutely amazing! :thumbsup:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
You are a creative lady! I love the idea of a garden "fairy house":hello2:

I am not so creative.

I have collected sea glass in the past, but the only thing I did with the pieces was to mix them with some sea shells, place them in a stem dish , and place the dish on the toilet tank top in the bathroom

Here's a pic:

DSCF2522.JPG

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive always thrown it out with the pop tops and pull tabs

Last edited:

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
I found my very first piece a couple months ago and now I am always looking for those weird and neat items. Found my first sharks tooth 2 weeks ago...all neat IMO!!

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes the wife collects the heck out of it, we had numerous clear containers that she would seperate the different colors into before hurricane Ike took them and the house, any way she's started over and her mom uses them in mosaic art pieces, HH

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collecting glass is very popular 0n the islands.
You can find a lot of glass where they had old dumps above where the glass washed down to the beach over time and was tumbled by the waves.
Deserts are also good places to collect nice pieces of glass.

There is a house that was built using glass bottles that was moved to Knots Berry Farm, near Disneyland in California.
You might be able to google pictures of it on the web :dontknow:

Last edited:

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
I was wondering how many of youz' guyz' ( & galz), while at the beach detecting, do you collect sea glass? I just started to. When I get back to Wyoming, I want to make some "fairy houses" for outside in our gardens. Wyoming has tons of flat smooth rocks that I plan on using and want to use sea glass for the windows. (Another craft plan) Plus maybe some jewelry if the piece of glass is right. Some people sell sea glass on ebay, but you can kinda tell who tumbles the glass instead of it being from the sea. Yesterday I found a nice chunk of what looked to be , as black as can be, piece from a bottle bottom. For some reason, I held it up to the sun, and to my surprise it is a beautiful amythyst color! Just pondering the thought.....:hello2:

I absolutely love seaglass! There are several books about seaglass and the history of the different colors. I have a really cool piece that looks black but when you put a light behind it, it a dark green (that kind of glass was made in the 1700's and the darkness came from the iron in the material they used. It also has lots of bubbles in it. When I first came to Florida in 2006 (from NJ) a gentleman told me "Never pass green glass". He said that the Treasure Coast beaches occasionally gave up emeralds that were from the 1715 fleet wrecks. I never forgot his friendly "warning". In 2007 I was walking the beach looking for shark's teeth about 50 feet behind a very tall guy with a metal detector. He kept giving me what I thought were "dirty looks" over his shoulder (I guess he may have thought I was too close or something). Anyway I plunked my butt down in the sand on a pile of shells. I had a little kid's plastic net with me and just scooped. When I rinsed it in the water I found a green piece of glass that looked like an old-fashioned glass decanter bottle top. I put it in my pocket, walked back by the lifeguards and showed it to them.. one said "Nice piece of glass" and the other said "Put it back in your pocket and get the hell off the beach" ! :) Turned out my piece of "seaglass" was a 69.32 uncut emerald from the Muzo mines in Columbia!!! Moral of the story? NEVER PASS GREEN SEA GLASS!! :)

Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread