Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you water hunt what do you put them in to keep them dry, I normally leave them in the car but I'm not going to be able to do that here in a couple weeks when I go to the beach on vacation. I thought of a plastic baggy but if it doesn't seal good then ill be buying a phone and keys, and I'm not to worried about the phone, some keys now a days go for a couple hundred bucks- ripoffs

Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
You could use a watertight plastic container. Diveshops sell them or you might have a look at Tupperware, Locknlock or pelican.com. After frying a car key once I now leave the battery car key with remote in the car and take one of the non electronic keys with me when water hunting. I leave the cell phone in the car too.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had an extra door key made and hang it round my neck on a small rope. The rest of the keys are in the car. I don't take a cell phone with me, so I don't get disturbed!
If you have to take a phone I would say a plastic zip-lock inside a plastic zip-lock. This has worked for me with ciggies and lighter.

Last edited:

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question I'm alway afraid to leave my phone in the car what if it gets towed how will I call a ride. Most of the time I carry no change and beach change does not always fair well to make a call.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
One thing I think we will see sooner than later. Waterproof phones!! Some out there already just a matter of time.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I find plenty of the zip lock bags! Buy a life proof case for your phone

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q - "When you water hunt what do you put them in to keep them dry?"

A - The car! :laughing7:

(I use one of those magnetic "hide-a-key" contraptions when I feel I need to lock things up.)

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I don't have the option of keeping the phone in the car at the beach is I go down at 5am and the wife and kids get the bus/shuttle and call me to unlock the car (got a car starter with a mile range) to get the beach chairs and stuff out to set it up, plus its a safety thing to have a phone on me

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chip, WalMart sells dry cases to put cell phones etc in. They sell dry cases for hunting and fishing too. Yes the beach area sells them too but me I'd rather buy one and have the chance to test it before I put my trust in one quickly bought at the beach that's overpriced and unproven.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
Chip, WalMart sells dry cases to put cell phones etc in. They sell dry cases for hunting and fishing too. Yes the beach area sells them too but me I'd rather buy one and have the chance to test it before I put my trust in one quickly bought at the beach that's overpriced and unproven.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

what he said. Walmart carries Plano waterproof boxes. The one i use fits my wallet, phone, and keys. Its only 5 bucks too

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Ziploc baggies. Double, usually triple baggie.
You have to be sure to close them properly, they only last a few outings, but they are cheap enough.
Only had a few leakage incidents, maybe 4 total over the years, but I only take the metal car key, not the fob.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out various size otterboxes, the only downside i know about using them is they are difficult to open

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread