Excal freakout

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found silver and diamonds yesterday, will post as soon as I have pix.
Anything like this ever happen to you:
Was working the dry sand at Cocoa and for 4-5 minutes the Xcal went nuts with constant chatter as if it were in a field of aluminum trash. Was in discriminate, turned the unit off and on, adjusted settings, nothing stopped the crazy signals. Passed the coil over the aluminum scoop and got that reading on top of all the other noise. There were dark clouds near but saw no lightning and did not hear the usual lightning chirp. The batteries were fine and still have plenty of charge. Then it stopped, I worked another half hour and went back over the same area with no problems and it is still working fine today. I never experienced anything like this in 7 years with this machine. In the absence of any cause I can find I am inclined to blame NASA.

Tek :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• slvdia.jpg
    slvdia.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"EMI".....run into it every once in a while. Everything from beach patrol to condo security systems can cause it.

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
I did have that at one of the beaches I hunted with a big cruise ship that docked there. They may have a radio or some sat. But I wish I knew what it was. Cannot hunt there for nothing.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a park I hunt, their lightning detector system does that to my Excal Their signal cycles, so you can go a few steps, then rerererere, wait, start again, go a few steps, rerrererererere, IT"S AGGRAVATING! LOL!
Also, there is a certain hotel on one of my beaches, I can't get to close to it in the sand, I figured it was their Wi-Fi. Perhaps that ship interference was wi-fi? :dontknow:
Will the Wi-Fi signals do that? Or ya'll think it's the security camera set-up? Or what?
Thanks, HH

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
I had the same problem with my Excal and one day and it cleared up. Then It would act up every so often and sent it to minelab for repairs. When I recived it from minelab they said the pp/disc switch was bad. So off to the the beach and it still had that constant chatter. Mailed it back to minelab and they replaced all the guts for no charge. I did pay $135.00 for the switch repair. It has been running smooth with no problems for about a year now. Just my chatter problem that I had.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here happened to me once thought my day was done and would have to send it in , but I turned it on and off same , did that a couple times along with over the scoop and it just stopped

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
With 5-6 big cruise ships, Patrick AFB, and who knows what from NASA ( You can see the launch towers from Cocoa Beach ) EMI is certainly a possibility. This does have me thinking about a back up detector.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a park I hunt, their lightning detector system does that to my Excal Their signal cycles, so you can go a few steps, then rerererere, wait, start again, go a few steps, rerrererererere, IT"S AGGRAVATING! LOL!
Also, there is a certain hotel on one of my beaches, I can't get to close to it in the sand, I figured it was their Wi-Fi. Perhaps that ship interference was wi-fi? :dontknow:
Will the Wi-Fi signals do that? Or ya'll think it's the security camera set-up? Or what?
Thanks, HH

I had a similar issue at a park I use to hunt up in Indiana....from the day they installed all the new lighting the CZ just could never be used there again - drove that machine absolutely batty. The Excal wasn't bothered, but the CZ just went into instant convulsions the minute you turned it on. :laughing7: There are 2 condo units here that give me problems sometimes if I get too close, not sure what the cause is. :dontknow:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a house at a freshwater beach that I cant get close to with my AT Pro...been that way for three years.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago we didn't have all these EMI fields to bother us. Now you can hardly detect your yard because of a WI-FI network. Sometimes changing the frequency helps, but water detectors don't have this feature. Anyone that tries to detect a beach with another hunter that is using a Pulse unit knows you have to stay a long ways from him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread