AT Pro does not like the water.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ok not getting any support on tech talk so I'll try here. Was at the beach yesterday and went in the water with my AT Pro, was working fine for the first hr and then she started chirping and beeping in iron audio like crazy. Raised the coil tried moving, got out of the water, when I got to shore same thing every slight movement...ding bing bleep bleep like crazy. Tried changing frequencies, ground balancing would not work and when i tried it showed a really low number and then I high pitched tone while I was ground balancing. Tried factory reset and still same thing. But after she sits for 10-20 min she's back to normal. Has done this 3 times now. This time just the coil was submerged. Do I have a leak in the coil or the coil wire?? Just bought it last Dec.

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you do. First I would remove the connection plugs,both of them, add some plumber grease to the O rings and replace connector..do the same to your battery compartment. Try the water again, if it does the same thing then I would seriously lean to a coil issue. I love Garrett's customer service, call them up and im sure they will help you without any trouble. There's something I plan on doing even though I have a coil cover is getting that linex type bed liner spray and coat the coil bottom and sides. They say it makes a coil almost indestructible and of course waterproof. Good luck and I'd like to hear what happens.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks for the reply man! I'm thinking its the coil that may have the leak cause it does it when just the coil is submerged. Tried once with just the coil in the water and once with the whole head, and same results, so gotta be a coil issue I'm hoping. That bed liner for the coil is also a great idea. Some guys I've heard say they put marine epoxy on their coils. Either one would work I guess. Thanks again! Hope I can get her fixed up soon!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tape the coil wire to the shaft...the AT is very sensitive to that wire...when I first got mine I was about to give up because it was acting just like yours...I taped the wire starting at about two inches from the coil and at three more places up the shaft...it was like I had a new machine, I couldn't believe it.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah I did that to my ace 250 and it helped. I can swing my at pro day and night on land without an issue but after an hr in the water, she starts to cry and yell at me like crazy. Doesn't matter if its just the coil submerged or the whole machine she goes nuts. Then after I wait a few min on land...good to go again. I'm in fresh water too.

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
new batteries maybe

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I had put in a new set of energizers and the battery meter was still full when it started acting up. Very frustrated.

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you submersing into salt water?
Im impressed you getting any kind if stability with an AR Pro. As good as the machine is, typically you would want to run a pulse or a multi frequency detector in that environment.
Not to turn this to a discussion, but depending on the salinity/mineralization of the water you probably get false signals no mater what you do, especially once salt water gets between your coil and coil cover. My guess us that why it takes a few minutes to go back to normal after you leave the water.

I'm not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done, but using an At pro in salt water is no doubt pushing the equipment past its design, even if it was stable I think you would only get frustrated with the results, and depth you would achieve compared to a machine designed for a salt water application.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem. It turned out to be the coil wire wasn't sealing correctly into the head unit. Un screw the coil wire from the head unit. Clean and reinstall and make sure it's tight.
DC

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Samueljackson!!!:occasion14:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro can be setup to run stable on Florida beaches, in the water and wet sand...about two inches less depth than a CZ21. Its not your normal single frequency detector.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks guys! I live in Canada so I was at fresh water lake. Only does this in the water, the head of the detector doesn't have to be submerged and she still goes off screaming and crying after an hr or so with the coil in the water. I've heard of guys using their at pro in salt water beaches. Have to run it in pro zero with iron disc at around 35 and sensitivity to where its some what stable. It will chatter a bit but you will recognize a repeatable signal over the chatter. But as far as mine she goes nuts in the water as if there was miles of chain link fence under neath my coil. Maybe it's leaking at the wire into the coil.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Thanks guys! I live in Canada so I was at fresh water lake. Only does this in the water, the head of the detector doesn't have to be submerged and she still goes off screaming and crying after an hr or so with the coil in the water. I've heard of guys using their at pro in salt water beaches. Have to run it in pro zero with iron disc at around 35 and sensitivity to where its some what stable. It will chatter a bit but you will recognize a repeatable signal over the chatter. But as far as mine she goes nuts in the water as if there was miles of chain link fence under neath my coil. Maybe it's leaking at the wire into the coil.

I bet if you call Garrett and tell them what's going on they will send you a new coil.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that if I don't clean out that cover after getting it into salt water or into the black sand it wants to chatter like a ******ed monkey so im thinking of removing the cover and going for the linex/bed liner spray. I know if I put that linex on it I won't have to worry about anything, there's no way it will leak and its way more capable of receiving abuse than a thin plastic cover.
Good luck with Garrett and the coil, they're great at customer service so i wouldn't worry

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah I took my coil cover off and cleaned out the crap. I'm in fresh water though so I didn't think that was an issue if I had a bit of sand and dirt in the coil cover but maybe it does. I may have a leak where the coil wire goes into the coil that's what I've been hearing could be my prob. But once I figure it out I'm going to put marine epoxy on my coil and screw the coil cover like you said.

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
It's a leak in the coil. Mine did the same thing this spring when I was hunting in the wet grass. I switched to a different coil and and it worked fine. The leaky coil still work if I can keep it dry, I may try coating it with the line x. I called Garrett and gave them the serial # and in a week I had a new coil at the door, no problems. It was still under warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread