Why do they do it?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bright lights, that is. Seems every time I go night hunting there's always a flood of people on the beach with flashlights...that eventually hit me right square in the eyes. Even when the light isn't being pointed directly at me it seems they have become proficient in determining that perfect angle in order for the light to skip off the shiny wet sand right into my eyes. "Now don't shine the light directly on that man, Tommy. Keep your light pointed down." And the kid does just that...and then suddenly.."BLAM!" Right in the eyes and I can't see squat for another 10 minutes. "Honey, what's that out there?" And then "BLAM!" Another ten minutes of complete blindness infects my eyes. Sure, every once in a while you get that smart a$$ teenager or drunk who simply does it for the fun of it but all you have to do is toss a stingray at them and they quickly go away. That guy standing on his balcony four floors up, well, seems he just has to get a better look at me...."BLAM!" There's another 10 minutes of blackness, and this nearly always happens as I'm trying to identify the small target I just dumped on the wet sand. So now I carry one of those Red Dot laser pin-pointers.....the problem may not be solved but quite often the paybacks are funny as hell. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little red Laser will get you in a lot of trouble if you point it at someone 's eye and they go blind. If it hits a boat ,car or plane they will put you under the jail. Laser pointer are bad news. Be careful it doesn't get you lock up !!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little red Laser will get you in a lot of trouble if you point it at someone 's eye and they go blind. If it hits a boat ,car or plane they will put you under the jail. Laser pointer are bad news. Be careful it doesn't get you lock up !!!

It's all good. :thumbsup: Don't have any plans to tease Beach Patrol with it. :laughing7:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron makes a good point BS.
What if the other person is packing a weapon (illegal or permit).
I am sure that you get more attention, than you want.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a HeadLamp and only turn it on when I find something.
Must admit thou With headphones on and 2 AM in the morning I get a little nervous someone is going to jump me from behind LOL.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redline led flashlight are small but shine like a spotlight

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron makes a good point BS.
What if the other person is packing a weapon (illegal or permit).
I am sure that you get more attention, than you want.

No....most are good sports and we have good fun with it. "Common sense" goes a long way sometimes, kids enjoy it and so do I and most parents play right along with it....usually tourist just enjoying the beach. It's all good. :thumbsup:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no flashlights allowed on the beach here!! YEAH........RIGHT!!:BangHead: very annoying and vey common. I don't see how sea turtles ever make it to the dunes!!!

chuck.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do what the Pirates did! Wear an eye patch on one eye, then when you go to dig a signal, uncover the patched eye and use it to recover your target.

I read somewhere they did that so after boarding another ship they go below decks and see in the dark with the eye that was patched and hadn't been in the sunlight...(now if only someone could tell me why Captain jack Sparrow wears mascara).

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread