Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I was in my local mall trying to get a ring tested for gold, out of 5 jewelry stores 1 of them was able to test gold, if your in the business of selling and buying gold, don't you think you would have away to test it? I was told from a lot of them if its not marked then is probably platted, one told me its a silver ring with gold plating, with just a quick glance!
But the real shocker, the thing I really cannot believe, is that NONE of them wanted anything to do with silver, no one wanted to buy it, it was as if I showed them a jar full of pull tabs. Not interested, we don't buy silver, etc. So here I thought I had something good, guess not.

Upvote 0

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd do better in a yard sale! Clean them up well and whawla. You'll do better then scarpe if you can figure out the scarpe formula of present silver price.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Jewelery Stores do not want to bother checking out a gold ring for you since it takes time and chemicals. If you have several and you are trying to sell them they might check them. Stores that deal in buying gold will check if you are selling.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy your own kit on ebay....they are cheap and easy to use.

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy your own kit on ebay....they are cheap and easy to use.

What kind of kit do you use? Does it come with the acid and scale? If not what is a good scale? There are many on eBay but is a .99 scale just as good as a 5.00 scale? What if it does specifically say troy onces?
I don't know enough about this to throw good money on junk equipment, so any help would be greatly appreciated

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use and like very much the AWS 100 off of Amazon for under $10. Reads to 0.01 grams and also troy.

I've never bothered with gold testing..been pretty easy to spot real gold and K value I leave up to the refinery.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Mizar electronic gold test kit. You turn the thing on, add a couple of test solutions to a little well, clip your jewelry to an alligator clip and dip it in. I've been using it for three years and it is very accurate and easy to use.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I was in my local mall trying to get a ring tested for gold, out of 5 jewelry stores 1 of them was able to test gold, if your in the business of selling and buying gold, don't you think you would have away to test it? I was told from a lot of them if its not marked then is probably platted, one told me its a silver ring with gold plating, with just a quick glance!
But the real shocker, the thing I really cannot believe, is that NONE of them wanted anything to do with silver, no one wanted to buy it, it was as if I showed them a jar full of pull tabs. Not interested, we don't buy silver, etc. So here I thought I had something good, guess not.

If you do the math , you will see that Silver does not have much melt value.
As I am a speculator, I track the GLD gold bullion fund whose share price is one tenth of the spot price of gold in troy ounces. (12 troy ounces = 1 lb on bathroom scale). Today GLD closed at $124.150 which is equivalent to $1,241.50 per troy oz, or $39.92 per gram. There are 31.1034768grams in a troy oz.

In comparison SLV (the silver bullion fund) closed at $18.86 which is equivalent to $18.86 per troy oz or $.61 per gram.

If you divide the Spot price of Gold by silver and multiply the ratio by ten you will can determine that Gold (24K) is 65.827 times more expensive than silver.

Strangely when you compare the prices of the New Age metals for rings (Thungston Carbide, Surgical Stainless, Titanium, etc ) you will see that they are actually more expensive to buy than sterling silver. Evidently New Age buyers are willing to pay the premium as they don't require frequent cleaning like silver does. As the New Age metals have zero melt value, they are usually sold at yards sales, stands or on Ebay

Chlorophylliate

Aug 7, 2013
Western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When someone comes to my stand with anything silver gold platinum etc i buy it or at least try to. Silver really isnt worth much youre right. However sometimes ill get someone who brings in some ster ware and even a ster fork weighs about 38 pennyweight (about 24.5 grams) which is a nice haul if youve got a few. Even a few silver chains can add up! A lot of jewelry stores dont deal with it because there is so much money invested into their business, that a hundred bucks in silver doesnt phase them. Go to an independent gold buyer in a mall or something. And when it comes to testing its really not that time consuming so i dont get why buyers dont want to waste time if it doesnt have a stamp. Id say 60% of the 10k i get coming to me isnt stamped. Scratch, a little bit of acid, and boom you know the purity AND whether its gold or silver or costume jewelry! :) the kits arent too pricey online either. And any digital scale will work. You can find them at smoke shops and gas stations around the US :) hope this helps K.dubya

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions