I Love EVERYTHING About This Hobby

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love nearly everything this hobby, even the numerous scars around my ankles, shins, and feet from those runaway sand scoop buckets. I mean, what’s not to like? Nine laboring scoops in the deep soft sand with the surf knocking me around and the target suddenly disappears – no problem, I just smile, laugh it off with a few harsh words and resume the enjoyable hunt. I’ve always got a bottle of Advil in the truck.

Stainless steel scoop over my shoulder, metal detector strapped to my arm, I’ve walked at least a mile from where I parked the truck and now that unexpected lightening storm is right overhead and violently painting the sky. Every time those bolts of blue fire streak across the sky my butt cheeks get so tight it’s a wonder I can walk at all. By the way, where, exactly, did I park the truck?

Three hours of swinging the coil without so much as a solid chirp and the nice lady says to me, “Looks like you’re enjoying yourself.” The first reply that comes to mind is, “YOU HAVE NO IDEA JUST HOW CORRECT YOU ARE!” I don’t think I actually screamed that reply. Maybe I did since she didn’t seem to stay around long? I enjoy the challenge - of trying to control my frustration.

Fatigue. It’s a word I never knew when I was younger. During my mid-years I simply considered the hobby to be good exercise, a great way of staying in shape. This year I’m starting to realize it didn’t work. If I hunt too long these days I often leave the beach feeling like one of those stiff scarecrows you see standing in the edge of someone’s garden or cornfield. Upper arms pointed out, forearms hanging straight down. Luckily I can still get the cap off the Advil.

Foolers. Nothing I love more then to see the glitter of gold in the bottom of my scoop, no real letdown when I notice upon closer inspection that the gold is flaking off. That’s the one nice thing about pull tabs – they present a good mid-tone, they’re easily identifiable to the eye, and there’s no big surprise and no let-down in the end. Sounds like a pull tab, looks like a pull tab, yep, it’s a pull tab. Success all around!

Rough surf & late midnight hunts. I’ll wait to comment on these two issues the next time I’m so bored or so overly motivated that I decide to encounter either of them. Wasn’t always like that but I’ve convinced myself that I’ve just gotten much smarter in recent years. Sort of helps me make sense out of that old saying that with age comes wisdom. Really it simply means; if you’re getting too damn old to handle it then don’t do it. But I like the age and wisdom excuse much better. Low tide is around 2am this morning. Are you kidding.

Yep, I love everything about this hobby. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old timers Kicking In, Here to Chug and Red But I still Love the Sound Of A Fr@@ing Pull-tab It Get's the Blood Pumping Until You Pull It Out!!! Chug

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That last push through the dry sand my knee is screaming, my back is in spasms, getting to the street is like an oasis. And I got the Aleve in the console. Getting old isn't easy.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I wonder what's the average age of detectors? Just curious since most of the members of my club seem to be over 65.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 53 and been at it for about 37 years. I take tylenol before I get in the water (fresh water). About 4 hours I'm ready to crawl back to the truck. I don't know how the surf hunters do it. When a boat comes through the waves lift me up and move me sometimes. I can't imagine how tough it would be to stay in a spot and retrieve a target when wave after wave hits you. I know from experience that you don't always scoop up the target the first try. You guys and gals that get out in the surf and battle the waves are my heros. You are tough as nails to hunt a few hours in that surf. I understand why you prefer to hunt at low tide but that's not always possible. You all deserve every good find that you get. HH

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm,.....wait, let me think a minute. If I remembered my birth date correctly - then according to the calculator I'm 55. :laughing7: But here's what's really starting to wear on me - I'm 5'8", only 140lbs, a full scoop of wet sand weighs nearly as much as I do. :laughing7: 2 - 3ft waves knock me around as if I were battling for my life in a typhoon. Gone are those days when I was bold enough and physical enough to challenge mother nature. The surf I use to play in all day long is now viewed as a big warning sign....images of hospitals and grumpy over-weight nurses flashing through my brain. It's all pretty frightening. :laughing7:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Im 41, i take advil before i start and after the shower before bedtime..... No more aches!

I am 57 and do the same with the Advil. Lost 4 targets in the water yesterday. Low tide and still got my butt kicked. Before going to sleep I eat 10 or so Gin soaked raisins, works for me.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE it also bigscoop! I live for fishing, camping, metal detecting and our Harley trips! Ahhhhhh life is good!!! And I am 56 and proud of it!

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
I too BS love the salt air and the fact I am not watching another episode of bull crap to fill my day! sure the pull tabs and can slaw keep you guessing but it has always been about the hunt!

PS you guys are amateurs with my back injuries I take a tramadol before every hunt and a good pint afterwards! Medicinal of course!!!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant have a bad day at the beach...the beach is my therapy.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
I hit 60 this past April and just fight the aches and pains. I feel very very fortunate that I can go and MD everyday and thank the Good Lord.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I am 43 and growing younger. I have had back problems since I was 19 due to the sandbar twisting me like a pretzel. Had surgery during the Halloween swell. I think I was kept out of the water for a reason. I would have paddled out and drowned. Anyways been dealing with back pain whole life. This metal addiction keeps me moving which in return helps stengthin muscles. I feel this hobby has many good benefits along with finding some stuff. Arrrrr

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday the ocean was very flat and fairly clear at low tide, a rare event here......I didn't want to get out.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this hobby myself and even tho I'll soon be 60, I suffered a severe back injury in 1996 and my condition is inoperable. I really have a hard time getting to metal detect, but it is the best therapy in the world. I don't know if I could handle the sea and the surf because when the wind gets out of the northeast and especially the northwest, the small waves at the river kick my butt. Before I started hunting in the water last November, I barely got out sometimes every 2-3 months, but now at least 2-3 times a month and it really helps my mental and physical health. I would love to go back to Panama City Beach and detect some, but have to stay close to home and look after my elderly Mama. The last vacation I took was in 2007 to Amsterdam and I really want to go back there and detect some time in the future. Water detecting is the only detecting I do lately, but I do have some spots on land I want to hit, but will wait until cold weather hits due to the skeeters and snakes. If it wasn't for pain pills and castor oil rubs on my back and neck, I wouldn't be able to detect some days. Castor oil works when the pain pills don't. It's not the years that get to us and our older bodies, it's the miles. HH.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all good,....however, I do see a few things on the beach that scare me. :laughing7:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, it's there things that I can't see which scares me! Like that jellyfish sting I got a few searches ago. On land no less......that was a big "Ouchie"! :BangHead: :censored:But it didn't stop me from detecting anymore. I just put my "big girl" pants on the next time that I went out :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put my "big girl" pants on the next time that I went out :laughing7:

I've got a couple pair of big boy pants, but to be honest, I'm so tiny I had to go to the kids section to find a pair that fit. It's not all bad though, whenever I have them on the kids all think I'm Sponge Bob. :laughing7:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
im 45 and in as good of shape as ive ever been, no aches or pains, 6 3 210, work out a little, but seems like detecting i go for hours and keeps me in the best shape. detecting started in the late 70's with my dad when I was just a pup. The fresh air and usin muscles you dont always use is great for me, love it. first silver i found when i was like 10 or 12 was a mercury dime i nearly cut in half digging it out with a hunting knife haha. first lesson learned. first gold found scuba diving in 20 foot of water in like in 1993. favorite finds are my large cent and my ring collection. hh all!!

I wonder what's the average age of detectors? Just curious since most of the members of my club seem to be over 65.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread