Im at Myrtle Beach, Third hunt and FIRST ON BEACH!!!

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm at Myrtle Beach, Third hunt and FIRST ON BEACH!!!

Hello fellow T-Net goers!!!

I am still very new to the metal detecting hobby and learning more and more every hunt! I am at Myrtle Beach, SC for a week of vacationing and a few beach hunts. Being new to the hobby I obviously have some questions and such about my Fisher F2 8" coil detector on the beach... I have heard that the F2 is bad in wet sand, thats fine and I'm content with sticking with the dry sand. Can I get into the moist sand such as after a high tide going to low tide?

I do not have a sand scoop yet and they are quite expensive, I'll get one at some point but just not right now.

I'm going to be hunting very SOUTH Myrtle Beach near the SpringMaid Pier, anyone else have any experiences in this area of the beach? I believe there are some areas a little further south that has no hotels but a campground park to maybe search.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello fellow T-Net goers!!!

I am still very new to the metal detecting hobby and learning more and more every hunt! I am at Myrtle Beach, SC for a week of vacationing and a few beach hunts. Being new to the hobby I obviously have some questions and such about my Fisher F2 8" coil detector on the beach... I have heard that the F2 is bad in wet sand, thats fine and I'm content with sticking with the dry sand. Can I get into the moist sand such as after a high tide going to low tide?

I do not have a sand scoop yet and they are quite expensive, I'll get one at some point but just not right now.

I'm going to be hunting very SOUTH Myrtle Beach near the SpringMaid Pier, anyone else have any experiences in this area of the beach? I believe there are some areas a little further south that has no hotels but a campground park to maybe search.

Thanks!
Your detector is single frequency so you will false a lot in the wet/moist sand.
As far as not having a scoop you should get one as soon as you can, it will make your life a lot easier. I was a Myrtle beach about 3 years ago and remember going to a pawn shop that sold metal detectors and sand scoops, I bought a DFX there, prices are not that bad, sorry I can't remember the name or where its at.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I stayed at a resort a little north of there last xmas, a waitress said the beach is jammed in summer, you should do well here. It was a ghost town when we were there but still a lot of targets. A long handle scoop is important, if you can't buy one yet consider making your own.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a look on craigs list for that area you may be able to pick up a scoop cheap, may be worth your while

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be there next week giving it a go as well.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, glad to hear it and good luck to your detector as well! What will you be hunting with? I can't see the left info on my phone, I'm on the beach with the girls right now :)

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have a detector that does not do well at the beach but its my first one so I at least want to try. Hopefully it works in the dry sand good enough. I have an Ace350. Don't have a scoop either but I plan on making one before I leave. You finding anything good?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the price and convenience of being able to to break it down in to 2 pieces for traveling in your luggage I suggest the " RTG Deluxe Beach Scoop" the basket let's the sand fall through quickly and speeds up treasure recovery for $57.95.

image-2751326380.png

It can be used as a hand scoop or a long handled scoop. The only drawback is you can't use your foot to push it in the sand or you will crush the basket. You must put it in the sand in front of the target and pull it down towards you.

The better scoop is the "RTG Beachmaster Scoop" it is $99.95.
It doesn't break down in two, but it has a plate in the back so you can use your foot to push it in the sand without crushing the basket. That way you can dig deeper, faster.
For a few bucks extra you can call them and have it made in stainless steel which makes it almost indestructible.
That is what I did.

image-165851156.png

Here's the website:

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm

Here is a cheap PVC scoop from eBay that breaks down for traveling for about $35.
It will get you by for your trip and you can use your foot to push it in the sand but being it is made of plastic it won't last you long after your trip.

image-361695237.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15109508532...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=151095085322&_rdc=1

As far as the F2 and the Ace 350 go, they will both do well in the dry sand.
Don't bother going in the wet sand, they are not made for wet sand and will give you false readings causing you to dig to China looking for a target that isn't there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice so far, thanks so much guys! I agree with the scoop advice as well.. I have been looking online and the Deluxe scoop yall are talking about seems great as long as I can dig with my foot and hold the long handle because that's simply ease of use that's worth the cost of avoiding the "****** ******" of having to spend 10 minutes per target.

I have been getting "no go" advice for my F2 in wet sand so much it must really not be worth trying at all. I'll use my energy in the dry umbrella sites till I upgrade my detector in a year to a F4 or so and I'll go over the research there before buying.

Yall are great, keep digging and I'll post what I find tonight!

haygard

Aug 5, 2013
I don't know much about the south end of myrtle beach however, my father and I have been detecting on the north end shares for almost 10 years as we go there every year for a family vacation. We have found several treasures including a men's solid gold ring!

Good luck!

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read another beach hunter used a sturdy litter box scooper for an emergency sand scoop while on vacation ........:dontknow:

He said it worked pretty well .

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the litter box scoop trick the first time I went beach hunting.
It didn't work out so well.
The problem is the scoop has slots that most coins will slip through.
I have found that they are all pretty much all designed the same way.
The one I used was made of what I thought was sturdy plastic but it just bent in the sand when I tried to dig with it.

image-156998586.png

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have a detector that does not do well at the beach but its my first one so I at least want to try. Hopefully it works in the dry sand good enough. I have an Ace350. Don't have a scoop either but I plan on making one before I leave. You finding anything good?

I had the ace350 and hunted myrtle beach. It will work in the wet sand. You will have some chatter but good targets are solid have fun

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys I'm sorry I didn't post any pictures last yet, I got in from detecting at 11PM last night (I had my head-attachment light haha) and I was amazed at how tired swinging the machine for 5 hours made me :laughing7: SO I'll post pictures later... All I really found was some pretty modern coinage and one 1966 quarter so close to silver but nada! I believe at this point I am almost ready to nickname Myrtle Beach "Penny Paradise" but nonetheless it has been very relaxing and enjoyable to be out hunting for vacation!

:occasion14:

mikemcc39

Greenie
Jun 11, 2013
Yeah always a blast hunting the beach! Got out this morning and found a 65 and a pair of 67's quarters. Did find a 1920 wheatie tho. Great job and looking forward to the pics!!! Enjoy your vacation!!

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright guys here are the finds from my FIRST EVER BEACH HUNT :headbang: It was a blast and I'll be getting a solid amount of hours still hunting this trip to come! ALSO, I took the F2 down into the wet sand and was having a fair amount of success. Yes, there was some "chatter" but overall I definitely knew when to notch the sensitivity down to three bars which surprisingly almost took all the chatter out... Falsing was evident and didn't bother me since it was extremely random and I knew it wasn't a real target. I found 4 of the coins at the receding tide line in wet sand WITH MY F2!!!

Attachments

• Baby Crabby ;].jpg
    Baby Crabby ;].jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 99
  • MB Finds 8:06-13.jpg
    MB Finds 8:06-13.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 92

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread