CZ 20 Sealing the stress reliefs & headphone questions

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final QUESTIONS so I can finish preping and teat this unit in Saltwater (wading-not diving)
Questions in BOLD type.

RTVed -the face plate gasket, around the nuts under the 4 knobs, the PP switch,a thin coat over the LEDs, 2 holes directly below the PP button and inside the stress relief at the coil. Battery box cracks sealed good enough to test (will order a new one). Removed coil cover that was filled with sand (will order a new one)

Want to RTV inside the 2 stress relief cords (headphone & coil) on the control box. and where the cord goes into the earphone.
For the stress relief(s)- Can I loosen those -add the RTV and tighten them back without doing damage? Do I need a special wrench? The one at the coil was easy enough with a 15 mm wrench but there is not enough clearance near the box.

Headphones- Can I get to & seal where the wire connects inside the ear cup? Is there a stress relief inside?
I notice what seem to be plugs on mono line inside the ear cups. Drain holes? Plugged or left open for-diving? Not in the manual.
How do you get the plugs?

Thanks for all of the help & input,
GTzer

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to make a machine that doesn't leak, start leaking...the wires are hardwired and you shouldn't be taking them apart...unless you know how to work on detectors.

OP
OP
G

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taking it apart.(I wouldn't even if I felt skilled enough) Sealing every external -potential weak spot for leaks-that I read about here and other places.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taking it apart.(I wouldn't even if I felt skilled enough) Sealing every external -potential weak spot for leaks-that I read about here and other places.
Nothing wrong with that, should make it even more waterproof...I thought you were taking connectors loose.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older CZ-20's were built like a tank and you shouldn't experience any leaking issues. The problem with adding all the extra silicone is that it creates crevices for very fine particles of sand & salt to collect which isn't a good thing. Best bet, just rinse the machine well with freshwater after each hunt. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point taken Bigscoop. Took my time & made it neat. Most of those areas had more nooks & crannies before the RTV. Fisherman here-everything gets rinsed.
Yep-built like a waterproof tank -overkill is my intent. Let it collect what it may as long as it doesn't get to the electronics.Possible stress and immersion --it's history is not mine or known. All functions work. Would like to keep it that way.
I can barely justify a used-working-MD. Cannot justify a non working unit. If I can get a season or two out of it-I could justify-a repair or upgrade if it became necessary.
Once I make sure its waterproof-I'll work on extra stress relief.

Anybody know-at least-about the plugs for the drain holes in the headphones?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best advice I can give is the weak point is the PP button, stay away from it. Everything else is design to take a beating. The stress relief fittings are design to seal in the cable then the threads of the fitting sealed. Adding anything is extra insurance but I feel not needed. The drain holes can be left open or closed. I prefer open just incase water should get in, the piezo's inside of the headphones are totally sealed so nothing should affect them. I have a CZ20 that is at least 15 years old....solid as a rock, I bought it and the guys said try it and if I have any problems I could return it. When I received it sure looked ruff,.. first thing I did, threw it in the pool for a over night stay. Pulled it out the following day, turned it on, purred like a kitten...I hope someday to do a remote PP on one of the Cz...here is a really cool post from a few years ago....from Gleam

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fisher-research-labs/208220-advanced-cz20-surgery-stuff.html

OP
OP
G

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN-as always-thanks for the input. I to have the option to return the unit if it leaks. I have many hours into making sure this doesn't happen. I read everything I could find in a multitude of sites & forums. Majority of users cited the great construction with possible or known weak points being the PP switch & the LEDs.(battery door a more secondary concern-& basically a given replacement). I made sure the PP functioned-sealed it and have no intention of ever using it.
A good number of the owner/users seemed a bit contradictory in that they would tout the great waterproof character of the CZ 20-state how problem free it was---if you didn't use the PP---then either go on about the ways they siliconed their CZs (for insurance), or how it leaked and/or how many they knew of that had to be upgraded (due to leaks).
Brings me to the link you added above. Amazing link. Yep-gleaner caught my eye with his expertise, very detailed, informative thread. I could never find the follow up thread where (if some one were to request) he was going to do a detailed thread on removing the stress reliefs at the control to add RTV. If you remember- he called those points the Achilles Heal of the CZ 20. I took notice to that statement (to say the least). Compelled me to PM him.
I probably over did it-being that he didn't know me and I had many questions (main one was about the stress relief). I referenced the very thread you posted and complimented him on it. He was kind enough to give me a few, brief replies with out answering the -how to-question. Perhaps he'd forgotten that he spoke of 2 water breaches that were repaired under warranty, the Achilles Heal statement or the many CZ 20's that were in for upgrade (due to breach) because his reply was-basically- they're built like a tank-don't use the PP-you'll be ok.

I did everything else- overkilled it-still-I'd really like to do the Achilles Heal-call me silly.A swipe of RTV where the wire meets the grommet-would do it for me. Got to be some sort of slotted socket wrench. The one at the coil took me 1 minute.

Headphone plugs--no info on them? Do they go in /out for diving-rain? I know they make a good wind sound-that might be too much on the beach (in a stiff wind). Sure would like to know- it might give me the option to use them as intended (or not).

Thanks for the reply Joe excuse the late night ramble.

OP
OP
G

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per Fisher-the plugs on the earphones are for diving, rain and keeping water out. Also quieter in the wind. If you dive or snorkle- pull them up when you are done to allow draining and drying.
Little bit difficult to get them out. I used a tweezer & a metal toothpick. Can't lose them because they're attached with mono line. Have a little stem that makes it easy to open or seal.

They won't even discuss the stress reliefs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread