Waterproofing a ProPointer

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We waterproof them ourselves. You need to buy clear RV silicone and put that over the light and over the button. The speaker hole you have to put on in light layers because you don't want to force the silicone down in the hole. As far as the battery case use Teflon tape on the threads and recap it but to be double sure it won't leak I put gorilla tape which is like duct tape on steroids..can get it at home depot,lowes and WalMart I think. I also got some plasti dip and dipped the shaft of the pinpointer in it which keeps it from getting beaten up. I also have that gorilla tape going over my speaker hole for safety but mainly to hold the antenna in place for the sensitivity increase trick.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often put a piece of black electrical tape over the speaker. Helps to water proof and make it less sound, I sometimes want a quieter beep so people don,t notice. The button is not water proof so anything you do will eventually wear off. The slightest water can get in. I had the black tape on the speaker and went up to the switch in water, 3 minutes later it died, took out the battery at this time. Took it apart and dried the electronics in rice. Works like a charm.

Ed D.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a few videos of people using their PPs under water. Are they manufactured as such or not? I have taped my speaker slots for dirt but don't know if I can submerse it.

The Garrett Pin Pointer Pro is not water proof.
Further, it false alarms on wet sand at a salt water beach.
If you accidently submerge it in salt water, it is toast.

The Vibra Probe 580 Pin Pointer is water proof to a depth of 100 feet.
As it uses Pulse Induction (PI) technology it does not false alarm in wet sand at salt water beaches.

I use both pin pointers as they have different tradeoffs:
As you can pin point off the side of the antenna in addition to the tip on the pro pointer.
It is easier to detect a coin in the side of a hole, as long as there are not multiple targets.
I like to prone out with it at the beach (dry sand) to rapidly clear multiple shallow targets with the side of the antenna.
It does not interfere with your metal detector
It is very easy to use, especially at night with its white LED to see in the hole.

The vibra probe 580 is more precise as it only detects of the tip.
I like to use it with a plastic grader sifter,tied inside an innertube when shallow water hunting.
This allows me to rapidly find metal objects inside of mud and clay which does not sift out.
As it uses PI technology, there will be interference with your detector unless you keep its coil away or turn it off.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen some people mention putting a ProPointer in a heavy-duty
(freezer-type) Ziploc bag and using it that way. I haven't tried it,
but it seems like it would help to keep water, mud, etc. from doing
damage, as long as the bag doesn't rip or come open.

--Tom

petey1231

Jan 1, 2013
Look at aqua chiggers page on YouTube mine is waterproofed works great - plumbers putty and shoe goo

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strike the water with your detector and split it as Moses did..no more worries about getting it wet. Lord forgive me for that stupid joke, you know how I am Lord.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the Garrett 580 with the small tip head but if I bought another I think I would get the medium head for deeper detection. The small head you need to be right on your target to get it to vibrate. This is my first and only PP I have so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have more input on this?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We waterproof them ourselves. You need to buy clear RV silicone and put that over the light and over the button. The speaker hole you have to put on in light layers because you don't want to force the silicone down in the hole. As far as the battery case use Teflon tape on the threads and recap it but to be double sure it won't leak I put gorilla tape which is like duct tape on steroids..can get it at home depot,lowes and WalMart I think. I also got some plasti dip and dipped the shaft of the pinpointer in it which keeps it from getting beaten up. I also have that gorilla tape going over my speaker hole for safety but mainly to hold the antenna in place for the sensitivity increase trick.

What is this sensitivity trick you speak of with a antenna?

All good points here, but why void the warranty? There is a spray that make the pp waterproof. But I dont have any water here, but would think visability would make using one under water a useless task?

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of people using condoms to protect their pro pointers. I just haven't been able to make myself try that one. I just use a large zip lock bag and my PP still looks like brand new.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
webatch said:
I have heard of people using condoms to protect their pro pointers. I just haven't been able to make myself try that one. I just use a large zip lock bag and my PP still looks like brand new.

Don't use the French Ticklers. They draw too much attention. Lol

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garrett 580 with the small tip head but if I bought another I think I would get the medium head for deeper detection. The small head you need to be right on your target to get it to vibrate. This is my first and only PP I have so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have more input on this?

Dennco
Treasure Products makes the Vibra_Probe580, Vibra_Quatic 2, and the Vibra_Tector 730.
All of the above products are waterproof- submersible to 100 feet (30 meters) and use Pulse Induction (PI) technology, which is important as this technology allows hunting at the beach in salt water or in any type of soil including black sand. It may interference with you’re your metal detector unless you keep its coil away or turn it off and vica versa.
The Vibra_Probe 580 is a preciscion pinpointer in that it detects off its one inch diameter tip only (not along the shaft) targets about one half inch from the tip.
It turns on in about one second to turn on and calibrate when pointed upward and turns off automatically after one minute to save batteries or when pointed upward.

It communicates by vibration . The pulses pf vibration increase in frequency as the probe tip approaches the target. This pin pointer is ideal for shallow water hunting when using a floating sifter to dump the scoop into in calm water(s). It allows you to rapidly find targets inside clumped mud, clay which would have to be broken apart to sift through and isolating targets when there is a lot of debrie in the sifter such as shells, stones, coral,vegetation, etc.

The Vibra_Quatic 2 with it’s large 2 inch detection tip means deeper detection depths (approx 2 inch) and more sensitivity to large objects. It takes approx two seconds to calibrate when turned on and must be manually turned on or off by tilting the tip up. This any environment pinpointer is better suited for divers, even wearing gloves.

The Vibra_Tector 730 with its four inch search coil is more like a miniature PI detector with only 3inch depth capability. It takes about five seconds to calibrate when turned on and stays on till turned off by tilting the coil up, also taking approx. five seconds. It communicates by vibration and flashing light.

The Garrett Pro Pin Pointer has better ergonomics (easier to carry) as it is not water proof.
It is easier to find a target in a hole with it as it detects off the side of it’s antenna wand as well from the tip, plus you can see inside the hole with the led light near the tip. There is also a raised blade at on the side of the wand to scrape sand toward your sifter/scoop. Even, if you seal it in silicone so that it can be used underwater in streams / lakes it may not be suitable for use on wet sand at salt water beach(s) because of false alarms from mineralization and black sand.

Last edited:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
From using the 580 I would say thats about right...
"The Vibra_Probe 580 is a preciscion pinpointer in that it detects off its one inch diameter tip only (not along the shaft) targets about one half inch from the tip"

I may bump up to the Vibra_Quatic 2. The 580 does bicker with my AT Pro if it's withing 4 ft. Thanks for the info.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are these other models the Garrett is 130 with tax

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anything submersible your looking at a starting point around $150.00 but they are far more rugged. My 580 is caked with dried dirt and salt right now.. I'm headed out again today so I'll clean it later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread