CTX report from Canslaw

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Read this on another forum and although I think this pretty well know just had to share.

By Canslaw
Depth test with a CTX, Excal II and a CZ 21 (long report)
Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the bi monthly lunch with the Myrtle Beach water hunters club. What an experience! All of the top hunters here in MB have switch from Sov. GT's and are now hunting with the CTX. 90% of the hunting in MB is wet sand hunting at low tide with 10% shallow water troughs. Half of the guys with CTX's do not take them in the water....strictly wet sand machine replacing their GT's Of they guys that do water hunt with the CTX, they say it is hard to swing and not comfortable in the water at all. One of the hunters does use a "Swingy-Thingy" and says that works great for him. All of them have paid for their CTX's in a short period of time and most have sold their GT's. Jim Bouwer is the only one out of all the CTX owners that has had problems with his CTX and he has had all of the reported problems, except the screen. However Jim hunts both tides hunting 8 hours a day 7 days a week and he is hard on equipment (self admitted) . But he said it is the BEST wet sand detector he has ever had in his hands and would replace it tomorrow if it died. That is saying a lot.

After lunch a bunch of us went across the street to the beach for same depth tests and hunting.

The first target was a thin 10k ring, probably 4 grams. The target was buried 3 inches in damp sand then the coils raised above the target until the tone quit. The detectors were set with almost equal sensitivity.

ADD 3 inches to each depth for the "buried in the sand" of the target

The CTX sounded about 8-9 inches above the sand.
The Excal II about 6 inches above the sand
and my CZ 21 about 4 inches.

The next target was a heavy mens white gold band, I am guessing 6-7 grams.

The CTX a foot about the target........I couldn't believe it and this was with three different machines, all the same depth.
The Excal about 9-10 inch
And my CZ 21 a disappointing 6 inches, that really surprised me.

This is the first time I have seen and held a CTX and it was unbelievable how sensitive and deep it was on small gold. It is a fragile machine, but the MB hunters all say the same thing.....it was paid for in a few of weeks, now it's free. They will also admit it is NOT a good water machine, but the best wet sand machine on the market. I was made a believer yesterday with what I saw and heard. Now if I only had good wet sand beaches on the Gulf like they do in MB.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blame bigscoop....he sold it to me :laughing7:

I am going to send it in to Fisher when I get home and have it re-tuned.

Be interesting, but my guess,.....it won't help with any of the issues mentioned.

Question: As far as the water conditions - did you notice any difference in those conditions VS what you are use to on the Gulf Coast? More surf action, current, etc.? Do you typically swing the 10" slow? Just curious. That machine worked great for me out of the water over here, hit extremely deep even in the wet sand - and as I recall, I told you, "it simply created too much drag in the water/currents over here on my area of the east coast."

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting, but my guess,.....it won't help with any of the issues mentioned.

Question: As far as the water conditions - did you notice any difference in those conditions VS what you are use to on the Gulf Coast? More surf action, current, etc.? Do you typically swing the 10" slow? Just curious. That machine worked great for me out of the water over here, hit extremely deep even in the wet sand - and as I recall, I told you, "it simply created too much drag in the water/currents over here on my area of the east coast."
Ive hunted the East Coast five or six times and anytime I ventured into the water, the current and waves put me back to swinging over wet sand. I know what your talking about. The West Coast boys have got it easy. I live in the middle of the state, so its the same distance either way I go. The only time I go East is when the West coast is too rough or cold. I feel for you guys on the East Coast, but you all do have better wet sand hunting over there.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the ctx is one of the best machines I've ever owned I bought it febuary 1st and by june 1st it was paid for with over 30 gold rings and a 24 inch gold chain with a cross on it. Alot of guys have had trouble with it leaking,before I took mine in the water I used an artists brush and put vasoilene on the rubber gasget haven't had a problem, I will reluberacate after4 or 5 battery charges to keep the seal damp. Works well in fresh or salt water and for a 7 or 8 gram wedding band it air tests at a foot, how can you beat that, I like the deep silver mode the best. HH.lep.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I like mine also and can't wait for it to get back, but no way does it go in water. Minelab does not recommend Vaseline on the o-ring but it will not void warranty. To many leaking issues from to many owners and Minelab says it has leaking issues. Put diver grease on the bottom treads of the USB connection. Minelabs recommendation. Lots of leaks coming in at the USB connection.

I found with air testing the deep silver mode was the best but not the deepest in salty wet sand. Glad to see your having great success and I agree it is the best out there but not surf worthy.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is minelab sayin anything about solving the problems in the future ?, I want one for the winter but worried about the issues

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Yes, there is a big difference hunting these currents than hunting the Gulf. The reason it's going in for a re-tune is it is just not sensitive as it should be to non silver type targets. This CZ will jump at a dime a foot way, but will sneeze at gold the same size. I would rather have it looked at than keep guessing, is it hitting at it's maximum?

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
is minelab sayin anything about solving the problems in the future ?, I want one for the winter but worried about the issues

I talked to the US headquarters tech section I believe the person I talked to name is Darren. According to him probably a larger o-ring and different USB cover cap. I can't see. This machine ever being anything for the surf. To much area to get hit by waves.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to the US headquarters tech section I believe the person I talked to name is Darren. According to him probably a larger o-ring and different USB cover cap. I can't see. This machine ever being anything for the surf. To much area to get hit by waves.

im on the gulf near tampa we get a lot of calm days but it can kick up with strong currents, did he give you a time line ?

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
im on the gulf near tampa we get a lot of calm days but it can kick up with strong currents, did he give you a time line ?
No time line but should be soon. They are getting a lot of machines in to repair now. Waiting time before they can look at one jumped from 10 business days to15 business days. If your on the west coast I would get one now and hunt along the water and in knee deep or less. You will be finding stuff others have missed. If you call Bart at Big Boy hobbies you will get a good deal if you don't like it you can eBay it and get 90% back(although the last two went around $1,800) which would be close to 90% if you buy from Bart.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I talked to the General Manager Minelab Americas and they stand behind the CTX 3030.....

Per him the o-ring works fine if machine is cleaned and handled properly...

This is same thing I have gotten from the Minelab repair techs I know..... If and when my funds become available I would have no qualms about purchasing one and taking it swimming...

Per Minelab they appreciate all customer feed back and..........

"The machine is built to be submersible in surf or fresh water and works very well for thousands of customers across the world."

"We certainly have not mentioned any leaking issues - nor do we have any as long as the o-rings are in place and continually cleaned."

Just my opinion, not to say some haven't leaked, but your talking a small percentage of the total sold......

Even Ford makes a bad pickup ever now and then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I talked to the General Manager Minelab Americas and they stand behind the CTX 3030.....

This is same thing I have gotten from the Minelab repair techs I know..... If and when my funds become available I would have no qualms about purchasing one and taking it swimming...

"The machine is built to be submersible in surf or fresh water and works very well for thousands of customers across the world."

"We certainly have not mentioned any leaking issues - nor do we have any as long as the o-rings are in place and continually cleaned."

Just my opinion, not to say some haven't leaked, but your talking a small percentage of the total sold......

if your in the US the percentage of user I know and every user I talk to and the forums I read they have a very high rate of leaks, if this is true then Minelab will be in trouble thinking this is acceptable. Their is nothing anyone wants more then to take them in deeper but they just leak to much. If Minelab is going to blame it on a microscopic cleaning of a rubber band o-ring then I think their management has gone down in quality more then there quality since they moved to Maylasa. Now we have two guys who think they don't have a problem. Read all this post again you think everyone is making this up?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to hear this. I think the ones not leaking are the ones that aren't going in the water. With no changes, looks like the 3030 is a wet sand machine. I don't see many people buying them for water use. With Minelab saying there is no problem, I guess that's the end of it. I feel bad for people that bought them for water use. There is still the Excal.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I just did a google search on Minelab CTX 3030 leaking. The problem seems very common among water hunters and even a few that just washed them off. I would recommend Minelab to change that o-ring or a least tell everyone to us divers lub and give it a microscopic cleaning after every use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your in the US the percentage of user I know and every user I talk to and the forums I read they have a very high rate of leaks, if this is true then Minelab will be in trouble thinking this is acceptable. Their is nothing anyone wants more then to take them in deeper but they just leak to much. If Minelab is going to blame it on a microscopic cleaning of a rubber band o-ring then I think their management has gone down in quality more then there quality since they moved to Maylasa. Now we have to guys who think they don't have a problem. Read all this post again you think everyone is making this up?

I did not say anyone is making anything up.. I stated what I know and what I was told.

How many are used in water, of those what percentages have leaked? How many have been sent in to ML for leaking. Several thousand have been sold, unfortunately there is no way to know that I know of......

99% of the time people don't post saying they are having no issues, only people who have issues post most times.....

Count up how many different members and usernames who say theirs has leaked and I will forward it to Minelab.

I contacted ML to see what ML said about the o-ring issue because you posted stating Minelab acknowledge there is fault with the o-ring.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

OP here: Not meant to start any argument and I am only a witness and not a user. The questions I have regarding the CTX in additions to water leaks......is why are the shaft cam locks breaking, handles coming loose as well as arm cuffs when used in the surf? Why is the lower shaft such a drag in the water? And why are so many coils failing when used in the water? I would enjoying seeing these questions answered by ML or satisfied users from what I have witnessed from some CTX's I have seen used in surf conditions.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
OP here: Not meant to start any argument and I am only a witness and not a user. The questions I have regarding the CTX in additions to water leaks......is why are the shaft cam locks breaking, handles coming loose as well as arm cuffs when used in the surf? Why is the lower shaft such a drag in the water? And why are so many coils failing when used in the water? I would enjoying seeing these questions answered by ML or satisfied users from what I have witnessed from some CTX's I have seen used in surf conditions.

minelab has a fix for the shaft wobbling. In the US you have to send it in to have the reinforcement set in. Handles coming loose or off as mine did is because it is only connected with a plastic flange and locked with a big plastic screw with 3 threads. All other water machines have stainless screws. I have not really heard of coils failing. Lower shaft is wide and coil is not streamline and the coil cover design creates a gap between it and the coil for more drag. But don't get me wrong this machine is worth every penny. It is a Excalibur on steroids! I just find out they fixed mine and they shipped it Friday. So that was only 7 business days. They told me it would be 10 to 15 days so I am happy about that. Prime season here now.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
How many are used in water, of those what percentages have leaked? How many have been sent in to ML for leaking. Several thousand have been sold, unfortunately there is no way to know that I know of......

Count up how many different members and usernames who say theirs has leaked and I will forward it to Minelab.

I contacted ML to see what ML said about the o-ring issue because you posted stating Minelab acknowledge there is fault with the o-ring.

I don't know how many user use them in the water. Here is what I know. I have talked to 5 CTX owners on the beach four have had leaking issues. Of those 5 users 2 of them have friends who the CTX and they had leaking issues. Now I am talking about northeast Atlantic conditions for 5 of the leaks the other two are bay conditions. Maybe not as many leaks in warmer water. IMHO the oring is so small just a little contractions and it will leak. But the percent I am seeing is very high.
Of the water hunting forums I have read I have seen a lot of user having leaking problems with the CTX. Much more than any other machine. I know there are less CTX machines being used (many less) in the water, then Excaliburs, CZs, AT pros, Sand Sharks etc. but the CTX is the only one I am seeing leaking problems with. I review many items before I buy, I think it is safe to say the CTX has a leaking problem in the surf, the o-ring is a pain to keep clean and still has problems when clean, the design for the surf is to much surface, the shaft needs to be sent in for reinforcement, the coil has to much drag, the works creates more drag.
I talked to who I assumed was a manager in the US tech section of Minelab and was told leaking problems because of USB cap covers falling and o-ring issues. If you read forums and talk to CTX users and don't think there is a problem, pass that joint over to me.

Mine is coming back from the mother ship any day now. The turn around time was only 7 business days. I need to talk to them to see what was wrong. They just left a message it is being shipped.

Don't get me wrong I say buy the CTX and stay in the shallow water and wet sand. It is the best machine for that beach hunting I have ever used by a land slide and I am just learning the machine. It goes deeper with loud tones, can be swung quicker, less chatter, and I can tell what is under the sand better then I can with any of my other machines. All this after only 12 hours of use. I really say get one and stay out of the surf above the knee and don't submerge the case in calm water IMHO.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you right now if MINELAB makes a new CTX this soon there will probably be a Class Action Lawsuit from the rest of us. Why should we eat the older version it has been barely out that long.
I think a new CTX is just people dreaming. Never mind the cost to Retool a new Detector would be expensive. They would have to make fixes for the one they have or never offer improvements like on the EXCAl.
But I am getting irritated with the shaft getting stuck from sand I can tell you that much. I like that it collapses but man when it gets stuck it is hard to unstick it.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read this on another forum and although I think this pretty well know just had to share.

By Canslaw
Depth test with a CTX, Excal II and a CZ 21 (long report)
Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the bi monthly lunch with the Myrtle Beach water hunters club. What an experience! All of the top hunters here in MB have switch from Sov. GT's and are now hunting with the CTX. 90% of the hunting in MB is wet sand hunting at low tide with 10% shallow water troughs. Half of the guys with CTX's do not take them in the water....strictly wet sand machine replacing their GT's Of they guys that do water hunt with the CTX, they say it is hard to swing and not comfortable in the water at all. One of the hunters does use a "Swingy-Thingy" and says that works great for him. All of them have paid for their CTX's in a short period of time and most have sold their GT's. Jim Bouwer is the only one out of all the CTX owners that has had problems with his CTX and he has had all of the reported problems, except the screen. However Jim hunts both tides hunting 8 hours a day 7 days a week and he is hard on equipment (self admitted) . But he said it is the BEST wet sand detector he has ever had in his hands and would replace it tomorrow if it died. That is saying a lot.

After lunch a bunch of us went across the street to the beach for same depth tests and hunting.

The first target was a thin 10k ring, probably 4 grams. The target was buried 3 inches in damp sand then the coils raised above the target until the tone quit. The detectors were set with almost equal sensitivity.

ADD 3 inches to each depth for the "buried in the sand" of the target

The CTX sounded about 8-9 inches above the sand.
The Excal II about 6 inches above the sand
and my CZ 21 about 4 inches.

The next target was a heavy mens white gold band, I am guessing 6-7 grams.

The CTX a foot about the target........I couldn't believe it and this was with three different machines, all the same depth.
The Excal about 9-10 inch
And my CZ 21 a disappointing 6 inches, that really surprised me.

This is the first time I have seen and held a CTX and it was unbelievable how sensitive and deep it was on small gold. It is a fragile machine, but the MB hunters all say the same thing.....it was paid for in a few of weeks, now it's free. They will also admit it is NOT a good water machine, but the best wet sand machine on the market. I was made a believer yesterday with what I saw and heard. Now if I only had good wet sand beaches on the Gulf like they do in MB.

Not to change the subject,, but where do you all think the Sov Gt fits in on the depths? Just curious.Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions