How many You(s) are there?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many you(s) are there?
If there is only one you, you have my envy as most likely you are able to see things pretty much as black and white and know what you will do regarding “ethics” .(Detecting Tips, Ethical Considerations, the Golden Olde , Norman Garnush)

In contrast I see things in shades of gray being blessed or cursed (depending on the way you look at it) with what is called survivor bias.
A characteristic of those who survived the Bataan Death March is that those survivors saw differently each time they rested and adapted accordingly

As those who follow my posts may already know that with my recent find of an Ancient Roman Coin/ Medallion I could no longer avoid the dreaded dilemma: Of keeping a find that I valued most, or returning it to its owner

This dilemma Identified/triggered at least five different me’s: four current and conflicting, one from the past...

1) First to appear was the treasure Hunter who I fantasized I was and wanted to be Similar to the Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride, where I took what I want and lived in a finder’s keeper’s world.

2) Next to appear was the treasure hunter that I need to be to survive. This was a person that no one would dare cross, known for holding the cards close to his chest.

3) LATER the treasure hunter who I thought I was appeared:
A sly and cunning detectorists who appeared to be rather eccentric only finding and occasional clad coin – nothing of value..
I should have realized that the only person I was fooling was me, after being contacted by some of the best detectorists on the island who shared their secrets with me.

4) Then came the treasure hunter who I actually am.
Even though I do not consider myself a hobbyist, as I expect a reasonable return for the amount I have invested and effort, I do follow metal detecting etiquette to avoid creating a bad image. Surprisingly, I have even come to like detecting and look forward to the hunt, but the last the very last thing I wanted to be acknowledge for was being a nice guy. You have to realize that the islands attract universally: The talented, the hard working, those who want to live the Hawaiian way as well as the scum. Being known as a nice guy is like putting a bull’s eye on your back for the scum.

5) I jokingly refer to myself as of being from the dark side or boom boomer land as I spent more than six years trying to detect something that I hoped we would never find. Having searched thousands of miles with the best equipment available at the time on the Lockheed P2V Navy Patrol Bomber aka the truculent turtle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it’s been more than a week since being gored on the horns of the above dilemma.

Hopefully, I will be able hunt tonight as the cuts and sunburn from over exposure have healed...

I feel ready; as I no longer cycle through the many me(s) like a pachinko machine stuck wide open each time I awake.
One thing that I know for sure is that it will never be the same.
Some of the change has been for the good, some not.

I am now on call, to recover rings for locals and tourist(s).
Hopefully, the bounties received, from those who can afford to donate and extra finds
will be sufficient to expand my capabilities to open water recovery and diving,

I am currently limited to dry sand, wet sand, and shallow water hunting in protected waters.
Till we meet again “Happy Hunting and may Gold, Platinum, and silver be yours.

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I read your original post when you found the medallion SGC. I believe you made the right and thoughtful decision to return it to the rightful owner. It's a reflection of the kind of person you are. Finding and keeping it after knowing who lost the medallion wouldn't have been an option for you. You or anyone else would've felt horrible keeping it. You know who "you" are, and it's good karma to boot. My best find so far this summer was a 14 year old girls lost cell phone. She approached me in tears and it ended with smiles. Her happiness was reward enough, and it sheds a good light on our hobby. Take care, Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read your original post when you found the medallion SGC. I believe you made the right and thoughtful decision to return it to the rightful owner. It's a reflection of the kind of person you are. Finding and keeping it after knowing who lost the medallion wouldn't have been an option for you. You or anyone else would've felt horrible keeping it. You know who "you" are, and it's good karma to boot. My best find so far this summer was a 14 year old girls lost cell phone. She approached me in tears and it ended with smiles. Her happiness was reward enough, and it sheds a good light on our hobby. Take care, Dave

Thanx for your reply Dave

For a while it looked it looked the thread would be a conversation between myself and the other four me(s), I hate that!
Now it’s at least between the six of us: you, the five me(s) and and my multi variable tone Excalibur when hunting alone on the beach. I will sure dread sending Ms Excal back for service (soon) as I will be limited to the hunting with the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 which does surprisingly well on Dry Sand, I just don’t care for the sounds: PFF (like a dog you know what), BONG, or BEEP depending on what is under your coil– at times you get all three cycling like an out of control Pachinko machine.

To me Metal detecting will always be conflicted as someone has to lose something before someone can find it. When you find it you have to choose between keeping it, selling it, giving it away, returning it, or as lost restart melting a piece of art for the gold (Argh)!

I don’t even know what metal detecting is; Is it a hobby, a sport, a source of income, physical therapy, an adventure: I guess the answer depends upon why one metal detects and what one wants in return.

Just writing to update that all is good now, and that I am glad I returned it. I know for sure that the story of how the medallion was lost and returned will be told to each class.

It’s kinda nice to be welcomed by the lifeguards, one was a student of this teacher, when I arrive at the beach. . I am now on call for lost objects at this and other beaches near where I live. Can’t drive to far with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which I am looking forward to sacrificing to the rust gods or trading for a more reliable beater.

Cann’t say much about Karma – still waiting for gold to jump in my scoop. Too me Karma is neither good nor bad nor has memory. It is just Karma which is ones destiny.

Sure hope I never experience another dilemma like that. I heard of being on the horns of a dilemma, this was more like trying to sift through the tines of a pitch fork (ouch)!

The funny thing is that you know exactly what you will do; at least I did, till you have to make the decision, only to find yourself clueless.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every situation is different. If i found a gold chain owned by the rapper 50 cent....i would keep it. Maybe it's my dislike of rap and thug culture that would cloud my decision.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I find something I know without any doubt belongs to someone, I'll gladly return it. But, if someone try's to scam me, I'll remember what someone did in W & E treasures. A young girl asked a detector user what he found and he said a ring. About 30 minutes later, the girl, her mother and a police officer confronted him. This woman says you found her ring. Was it an 18K gold ring he asked. Yes it was in front of the officer. Well, the ring I found was 14K and she was busted with her own lie. The weights of the rings may be backward, but he let her lie in front of the officer and then there was no way she could claim the ring. Mr. Garrett and another friend were in some foreign country in the surf and found a gold medallion of some sort and this local boy asked to see it and snatched it and ran away. You got to be careful showing people what you find. Most people are honest and it's a pleasure to help them recover something that is rightfully theirs, but the liars and thieves are waiting for a chance to rip you off. It is good for our hobby to help those who lose items and any time I get a chance to help, I gladly do so. Good ethics on your part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread