Check Those Markers Marks!!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little 10k the other day, only 1.7 grams with the citron stone, hardly worth finding since it's low k and most of the weight is probably in the stone, right? WRONG! At first, before I ever saw the markings, I thought it was junk, but after getting home and looking it over under magnification I felt the ring looked old and since it had the marker's mark "OB" I looked it up - here's what I found out:

"The maker Ostby & Barton is out of Providence, RI and the fun history fact is that the maker E.Ostby died on the Titanic in 1911. His jewelry is highly collectible now." Who would have thunk it?

cit4.jpg

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
That is crazy! How in the heck did you hold your breath long enough to metal detect the Titanic?

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got to love the internet!
Turned from a nice ring to a fantastic ring in a second.
:occasion14:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is crazy! How in the heck did you hold your breath long enough to metal detect the Titanic?
:laughing7:.....that's funny! I was just taking a sip of soda when I read your post and I nearly choked to death. :laughing7: Love the humor!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love the internet!
Turned from a nice ring to a fantastic ring in a second.
:occasion14:

Honestly, when I first saw it I noticed the tabs holding the stone in place and I thought..."junker!" And you are right, it is/was a low grade ring.....I didn't even know they made that kind of thin/flat formed rings back then. So glad people like to collect things of this nature. :laughing7: But really, the history is kind of kool....might just have to keep it?

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Now that turned out to be an Awesome find! Very cool!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find...love it!

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Interesting, something new to check for in my collection.... from what I saw on the google search, you should get more than melt for that ring. Cool find and interesting information!

Cliff

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice ! should look into it more and find one for sale to see its value could turn out to be even a lot more than your thinking !

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, something new to check for in my collection.... from what I saw on the google search, you should get more than melt for that ring. Cool find and interesting information!

Cliff

It's still not going to be worth much, however, just goes to show that even the most modest of items may harbor additional value simply due to the unknown/unexpected circumstances surrounding the item. I would have never suspected this very modest piece of low k jewelry to also be a collectible item.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is the draw to MDing. You never know. It's like being a kid again and playing treasure hunting. Beautiful ring.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be 10K, but it's a beautiful designed ring. The fact that it was designed by someone who was on the titanic is interesting history. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread