CTX water hunters please help us.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
After much debate it still does not seem clear if the CTX has leaking problems or if it is just a few machines and user not cleaning the o-ring correctly.

If everyone who uses the CTX in the water on this forum can respond with there experiences then we should have a good idea of the ability of the CTX for submerged water hunting less then 10 feet. If you do not own a CTX but do know someone first hand (not here say) and know of their results water hunting good or bad please let us know.
I am hoping to here a lot of good reports so I will take mine back into the surf. This is something that can really be used along with Minelab.

Also please let us know if your water temperature is 10 deg or more different then your air temperature. This could help with the expansion contraction theory of the o-ring and case. Let us know if you hunt in the surf with waves hitting machine or just calm water or both. Let us know if you use divers grease or any product on the o-ring or USB cap threads.

I think it is clear and everyone knows the CTX is a great machine with great abilities so no need to write about that. Thanks for the feedback I am sure it will help many.:coffee2:

Upvote 0

DrunkBrother

Jan 22, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-track, Excalibur 2 ,CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are a lot of positives that rarely get discussed.

I agree with that, but....those positives die out every time you go in the water because, instead of thinking :" i have the best machine with super 17 inch coil" , you think : " I hope my battery is not gonna leak on this trip"

Also, this Flaw is out of your control :-(

For example- Excalibur 2 has a huge issue with organomics of Factory shaft. Everyone knows that, but solution is simple- just a straight aftermarket shaft that gives extra length (for tall people like me)

Oh. Yes.. shaft.... CTX3030 doesnt have extra long shaft. so, my one is always at the far point. so the connection part getting extra preasure and the stoppers are wearing off faster.
I wish CTX had just extra 10-15 SM on the lower Shaft :-(

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
My CTX 3030 took in some water in the battery compartment this weekend. I hunted in the surf and blocked all waves with my body. A few waves rolled over the machine and it might have gotten dunked once or twice. Inspected the compartment and it had some corrosion. Still functioning...

Another problem, the machine will not upgrade the latest firmware and I cannot load information onto the X2 website.

A third issue is a burn spot on the screen which blocks out about a 5th of the screen.

When my Excal2 arrives, the 3030 goes in for servicing... end fate yet to be determined.

Simply, it's a lot of cash to justify what essentially could be half an IRA contribution for a backup.

For all the issues, it's the best machine I've ever owned. There are a lot of positives that rarely get discussed.

Thats is the unbelievable thing, with all the problems it is still the best machine most of us have ever owned!

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To me, the CTX is a Sovereign on steroids.

I was contemplating her fate as I swung away on the beach this morning before I went into work.

When it's there... I'm finding everything under the coil.

I have no doubt a Sov could come close to matching the CTX, but the GPS, programming, and the water resistant nature trump the extra cost in my book.

Part of the problem is the competition is stiff...

I'm watching, studying, and learning from the competition. Many post impressive finds on other forums and are pretty quick on land. Methodical for sure in the surf. How can I improve when we hunt the same beaches? I think really slowing down to a crawl is helping me find a few more items. Getting the Excal and into the surf is part of the plan. Getting pretty hardcore and focusing off the beach has always been my intention.

Hardcore and CTX 3030 don't seem go together.

Studying the beach will come with experience.

I'll re-evaluate my situation next spring after I can get a hundred hours or more with the Excal. If I'm finding gold, then I'll keep both.

The CTX just is the perfect machine when you understand its limitations and can somwhow justify the cost.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have owned a 3030 since febuary and love it, I do use a little vasaline on the o ring, been in the saltwater all summer and haven't had any problems, goin in the water in about an hour from now and don't expect
problems, best machine I've ever owned hands down, has been paid for since june 1st with my gold finds alone.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Have owned a 3030 since febuary and love it, I do use a little vasaline on the o ring, been in the saltwater all summer and haven't had any problems, goin in the water in about an hour from now and don't expect
problems, best machine I've ever owned hands down, has been paid for since june 1st with my gold finds alone.:thumbsup:

Great to here this. Have you ever owned a Sovereign? Some wanted to compare the CTX to the Sovereign. Also are you submerging the CTX completely and are you in the surf with waves hitting it? What are the water temps like where you hunt compared to air temps. Thanks and great to here your successs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread