Neck protection from the sun- what do you use?

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out hoorag.com. I use 2 at a time. One for neck and one to pull up on your face. Don't know about underwater, though!

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out hoorag.com. I use 2 at a time. One for neck and one to pull up on your face. Don't know about underwater, though!
Thanks! Do you think they are tight fitting enough to stay in one place while under water?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just use sunscreen. Might just have to apply more often in the water...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learned the hard way that wearing silver chains around your neck can cause blisters. Finally decided to start wearing a couple of silver chains I found....yep, they got so hot in the sun they actually burnt my neck. :laughing7: But I refuse to give up just yet.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a cap and tuck in a large bandana under the back to protect my neck when detecting at the river. Obviously, this wouldn't work snorkeling. My problem is the sun reflecting off the water when in chest or neck deep water and burning my face. Mr. Garrett mentioned something in one of his books that covered the face and head. I think it was called a baraclava. Probably misspelled it, but would rather use this item than sunscreen.

The item is a balaclava and it's made in cloth or wool depending on whether it's hot or cold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Solar Sciences SPF40 Mineral Lotion.
I get this stuff from my dermatologists, I paid $24 for a 2.82oz tube. I see Amazon has it cheaper.
It feels real nice, fragrance free, this stuff works, and you can not remove it without soap and water.
Perfect for a day or snorkeling/diving.

Amazon.com: MDSolarSciences -SPF 40 Mineral Screen Lotion - 2.82 oz: Beauty

I always use sunscreen but it wears off since I am often in the water for hours and my neck always gets burnt. I think one of the clothing accessories mentioned here might do the trick...I just need to figure out which one will stay in place under water.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use a t- shirt for sun protection.
try a hoodie. your dive mask will keep the hood snug and in place. i know a wetsuit is cumbersome and i don't care for them in tropical waters.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often snorkel while detecting and the back of my neck is exposed to the sun for long periods of time. I know they have hats with the neck protection built in but I don't think that would stay on underwater. I'm curious what others who snorkel while detecting use to protect their neck/head from the sun. Thanks!

I wear a surfer shirt SPF 100 has high neck, wear the hat with the built in neck protection, it has a neck strap to keep hat on, also use sunscreen SPF 50....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived in Florida for 30+ years. I've used a lot of sunscreen! Plus I am very particular about what I slather on my skin.
Between chemicals, funky smells, greasy feel, getting it on the detector, and a lot of other factors, the above stuff I mentioned, is one of the best products I have ever found.
I used to use bullfrog SPF80 and 90 on the boat lobstering, and I burn every time. Where as, I can spend 6 or 7 hours at the beach detecting, using the md solar, the only place I burn, is where I missed spots.

If you are in Florida, stop by ANY dermatologists office, they have sample packets. They are usually more than happy to give you some free.
Trust me when I tell you, this stuff does NOT wear off, either. It really is that good.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I shave my head so I am as careful as I can be when snorkel detecting.... so what I got was some silicon swim caps that fit tightly and don't let the sun through. I will however purchase some MD Solar Sciences SPF40 Mineral Lotion for the back of my neck since the sunscreen I'm presently using does wear off after about 6 hours in the water. The silicon swim caps work great and trust me they stay on and don't interfere with the mask. Long sleeved or short sleeved SPF shirts, sunscreen and my swim cap and I'm good to go..

Cliff

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Some dive hoods not only cover your head but also your entire neck.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gators are also great in areas where the temps get very cold and high winds, they make fleece ones that will keep you nice and toasty, and with a boonie hat will keep all the sun off of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread