bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Excalibur for about a year and half i hunt with no threshold how much depth am I loosing the humming drives me crazy I have found a few gold rings but none over six or seven inches deep I have found quarters a foot deep and big fishing weights as well I hunt fresh water beaches and some of the sand is a couple feet deep I know I am missing the deeper gold rings maybe different ear phones my help thanks

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently just started using PP to hunt and have found many targets that when I I switched to discrim to check target, I could not pick it up until I dug a couple scoops down and several were good targets. I've probably missed many targets when running in discrim. Will be doing PP and headphone mods when warranty runs out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With pp mod and large did coil mod your going as deep as a PI, but you still have the desc option. It is like a PI with discrimination.....:thumbup:

I love the excals set up this way.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
70 Gold stock is very good,

The Mods I do will help you find more targets and discriminate much quicker, your location will help determined if you find more treasure. Right now all my Modifications are on hold till late fall. Just got a contract on my home and moving to the beach. OCMD or OceanView Delaware, settlement looks like Sept 20th, so figure a few months after I should be able to get all in place to continue the mods..I will post once all is in place..and Thanks to all who patiently wait.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
70 Gold stock is very good,

The Mods I do will help you find more targets and discriminate much quicker, your location will help determined if you find more treasure. Right now all my Modifications are on hold till late fall. Just got a contract on my home and moving to the beach. OCMD or OceanView Delaware, settlement looks like Sept 20th, so figure a few months after I should be able to get all in place to continue the mods..I will post once all is in place..and Thanks to all who patiently wait.

I would be interested in the Mods as well.

Tim

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mods OBN installs will not only change the way you hunt but they will also provide you with a great deal of confidence in knowing that you've not missed much at the end of the day. (No more questioning if another machine would possibly serve you any better.) As for the larger coil, and the 12 x 15 SEF in particular, TH is correct when he says that you'll be hunting as deep as PI machines with the added advantages of discrimination and greater coverage area. One other thing, I have also found the PP of deep or small targets to be much easier with the SEF VS the WOT coil. I have also found the performance of SEF to be less effected by saturated sand or once it is submerged in the saltwater, in both of these cases the SEF has still provided great deep and sensitivity.

OP
OP
bluediamounds 55

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some 1g gold rings but the one gold chain and bracelet were eyeball finds no gold chains with Excalibur yet

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mods OBN installs will not only change the way you hunt but they will also provide you with a great deal of confidence in knowing that you've not missed much at the end of the day. (No more questioning if another machine would possibly serve you any better.) As for the larger coil, and the 12 x 15 SEF in particular, TH is correct when he says that you'll be hunting as deep as PI machines with the added advantages of discrimination and greater coverage area. One other thing, I have also found the PP of deep or small targets to be much easier with the SEF VS the WOT coil. I have also found the performance of SEF to be less effected by saturated sand or once it is submerged in the saltwater, in both of these cases the SEF has still provided great deep and sensitivity.

The 15 x 12 sef will be my choice and keep 10" Tornado for water hunting. How reliable is the coil connector as far as water proof reliability?

OP
OP
bluediamounds 55

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks obn that will give me something to look forward to I will turn on threshold and hunt and I will give pp a try also

OP
OP
bluediamounds 55

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a chain and a lot of small gold in your 2012 Finds pic. :dontknow:

Lookindown I was thinking of small gold as in earrings yes in my 2012 pic the gold chain and bracelet were eyeball finds and three of the gold rings also that was a dry year the wind blowing the sand away uncovered a lot of good targets

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 15 x 12 sef will be my choice and keep 10" Tornado for water hunting. How reliable is the coil connector as far as water proof reliability?

I even use the 12 x 15 SEF in the water as long as the bottom remains fairly flat and the currents aren't too strong. As for the connector, the CoilTeck is pretty reliable but also a bit pricy, not looked lately but I think it's around $70 per set and you'll need at least one set and another end cap and connector, so may as well say one set per coil. Right now I'm waiting on a custom connector that should seal the deal perfectly but I don't expect it anytime soon. I've tried others but eventually they all end up leaking - just too much sand/salt to invade the threads, etc. But the CoilTeck is pretty reliable, seals up pretty much the same as the Excal battery pod.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookindown I was thinking of small gold as in earrings yes in my 2012 pic the gold chain and bracelet were eyeball finds and three of the gold rings also that was a dry year the wind blowing the sand away uncovered a lot of good targets
Got ya...you've made some nice finds.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has been very informative on how the Excal works. Thank You guys for elaborating on the different violin/theremin sounds that it makes and why.

I went out this evening and was able to distinguish some of the differences now.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does MineLab mean by simultaneous?

Last edited:

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question...one of the reasons I bought a CZ21 instead of an Excal is I didn't want to listen to a constant hum.

the New eXcal don't have a yum.. Sometimes I don't even know my machine is on. I don't hear anything unless I go over an object.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the New eXcal don't have a yum.. Sometimes I don't even know my machine is on. I don't hear anything unless I go over an object.

Mine better have a hum or I'm not using it. It's 2 months old. You must not have your threshold up enough to just barely audible over ambient noise. I prefer all metal/PP mode with this slight hum and flip to discrim to check targets. I've found several goodies where the only alert I had was a slight change in threshold and could not pick it in discrim until I removed a couple scoops of sand.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in pinpoint isnt your detection field really small?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in pinpoint isnt your detection field really small?

Yes the detection field is smaller but it is a might deeper. I hunt in Disc Auto with no disc. most times. its what ever you like. NRA2.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the detection field is smaller but it is a might deeper. I hunt in Disc Auto with no disc. most times. its what ever you like. View attachment 853862

I hunt in PP all the time using excals and 12x15 coil. Not seeing much difference in detection field, I frequently see targets to the outer side of coil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never used an Excal...I hear people say they hunt in PP with the Excal but Ive never heard someone say they do that with the CZ21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread