bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Excalibur for about a year and half i hunt with no threshold how much depth am I loosing the humming drives me crazy I have found a few gold rings but none over six or seven inches deep I have found quarters a foot deep and big fishing weights as well I hunt fresh water beaches and some of the sand is a couple feet deep I know I am missing the deeper gold rings maybe different ear phones my help thanks

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the PP seems to have a smaller field. Also I miss that initial symphony orchestra sound you get in discrim. It sounds just like the sand shark in PP to me. Still experimenting with the 2 modes. When warranty runs out I may have to hardwire a 15x12 SEF and do remote PP modification. Has anyone tried a 13" Ultimate on the Excal. I really like it on the Sov GT. it's super lite and sensitive to be so big.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another word about the larger coil, and the reason I don't hard wire. The other day I went to the beach anticipating the opportunity to hunt some ledges that were being pushed back but when I arrived the wind was blowing straight in and the surf/current at these ledges was simply to strong and too turbulent to allow any measure of efficient use of the larger coil so ended up not being able to hunt them. (This and I failed to take my smaller coil along on this trip. :BangHead:) However, if I had taken the smaller coil I would have been able to make the switch and I would have been able to hunt those pushed back ledges. If you can justify one or more machines and the inconvenience of having to take them all then the hard wire is certainly the way to go, but if you commonly hunt a long distance from your vehicle (other machines) or you end up having the wrong coil for the conditions encountered it can equate to a missed opportunity. I just went back to those same pushed back ledges today and they were all filled in....opportunity missed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the PP seems to have a smaller field. Also I miss that initial symphony orchestra sound you get in discrim. It sounds just like the sand shark in PP to me. Still experimenting with the 2 modes. When warranty runs out I may have to hardwire a 15x12 SEF and do remote PP modification. Has anyone tried a 13" Ultimate on the Excal. I really like it on the Sov GT. it's super lite and sensitive to be so big.

Haven't used the Ultimate, I have used the Sunray S-12, WOT, and SEF 12x15 on excals and Sov GT with the addition of the SEF 15x18 on my Sov GT.

Size is personal preference, for me hard wired far out weighs using connectors......when I go to beach I take 2 custom excals and my sov gt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Fletch
Yea the PP seems to have a smaller field.
My opinion..... Discriminate is more of a controlled field, (smaller) where as PP/Almetal is a disbursed field...with no limits, reaching out from the sides of the coil and deeper, more like a blade field, in a balloon shape. That's why you get faints or disruptions of the threshold instead of solid hits. The higher the sensitivity the bigger the balloon field. Due to limits of stock headphones, ambient noise levels, and the matrix of the under lying conditions hundreds of targets are missed ever hunt, targets that are seen by the detector but never heard in the PP mode. If I have time this winter I will make a video on what I have learned about the fields of the excaliburs thur air test. I can trace out the field thur stop video on targets at different locations in proximity to the coil, showing the field size and limits. Now this is a air test and results can differ due to conditions, but it does gives a good idea of what is going on...

am 2 disc field.gif Airtest.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion..... Discriminate is more of a controlled field, (smaller) where as PP/Almetal is a disbursed field...with no limits, reaching out from the sides of the coil and deeper, more like a blade field, in a balloon shape. That's why you get faints or disruptions of the threshold instead of solid hits. The higher the sensitivity the bigger the balloon field. Due to limits of stock headphones, ambient noise levels, and the matrix of the under lying conditions hundreds of targets are missed ever hunt, targets that are seen by the detector but never heard in the PP mode. If I have time this winter I will make a video on what I have learned about the fields of the excaliburs thur air test. I can trace out the field thur stop video on targets at different locations in proximity to the coil, showing the field size and limits. Now this is a air test and results can differ due to conditions, but it does gives a good idea of what is going on...

View attachment 854039 View attachment 854060

That could explain why I get hits on targets out side the edge of the large coils I use, although I sometime get them in desc too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did a test with my CZ21, 10inch coil...It will hit a target 2 inches outside the coil at 2 inches deep...so Im getting 14 inches of coverage on anything less than 2 inches deep.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the threshold chart from minelab,s glossary of terms:
"THRESHOLD

Threshold is the continuous sound used to listen for target signals. The Threshold will ‘blank’ to indicate the detection of a discriminated/rejected target."
Threshold.gif

OP
OP
bluediamounds 55

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this post I have been hunting with threshold didn't realize how much info was there could not hunt without now thanks for all info

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the threshold chart from minelab,s glossary of terms:
"THRESHOLD

Threshold is the continuous sound used to listen for target signals. The Threshold will ‘blank’ to indicate the detection of a discriminated/rejected target."
View attachment 889815

When i hunt in discrimination I have threshold set to sound like a small mosquito in my ear.

I prefer to hunt in all metal since I have the pp mod and large coils hard wired into the controls of my excals.

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
"Another trick is to put a nickel in your boot/shoe and use that to reset the tone if that is what you want to do..."

I was wondering where to put a nickel! Great idea! I usually wear Reef sandals so I could get my wife to sew one on!
(only cause she is more adept at sewing than I)!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Another trick is to put a nickel in your boot/shoe and use that to reset the tone if that is what you want to do..."

Steel plate in my neck, works great........just gotta use some caution when swinging the larger coils past my neck & head. :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Another trick is to put a nickel in your boot/shoe and use that to reset the tone if that is what you want to do..." I was wondering where to put a nickel! Great idea! I usually wear Reef sandals so I could get my wife to sew one on! (only cause she is more adept at sewing than I)!
I usually reset mine with the scoop after nulling on junk target.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do the same, I just reset the threshold with my scoop. I dont mind the normal buzz but the loud noise after iron gets old quick. Great thread by the way, lots of information.

Last edited:

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So just to add to this......

I have been hunting in pinpoint, highest sensitivity, threshold set to just below what I can hear after ground balance.

I don't live in an area with a lot of traffic so finds are slow. I found a Canadian dime about 10 inches down as well as some small junk. Seems to work ok. Opinions?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
have been hunting in pinpoint, highest sensitivity, threshold set to just below what I can hear after ground balance.

I don't live in an area with a lot of traffic so finds are slow. I found a Canadian dime about 10 inches down as well as some small junk. Seems to work ok. Opinions
:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the addition of the remote switch I use both modes quite a bit these days. Largely depends on my mood and the circumstances. I think there are times when each mode of operation has its advantages and disadvantages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread