Which part of virgin beach should be hit first?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Clean up the dry sand and then the wet. Does it really matter? I don't think so ... unless someone is rushing you.

Is the beach getting regular renewal? Are you detecting it every day? or regularly?

(You're not related to "Overkill Overkill" are you?)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean up the dry sand and then the wet. Does it really matter? I don't think so ... unless someone is rushing you.

Is the beach getting regular renewal? Are you detecting it every day? or regularly?

LOL on the Overkill....

If it is a virgin beach just start anywhere, go in water first, if your not finding anything after 2 hours move to the wetsand....... If it is a virgin beach and not sanded in it want really matter where you start....

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
I'm a newbie but if the tide was low I would hit the water first.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seeing as Fall is around the corner, the water will be getting colder fast, I'd be doing all the water hunting that I can.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Well seeing as Fall is around the corner, the water will be getting colder fast, I'd be doing all the water hunting that I can.

Lady Pirates post makes good sense. However, not knowing where your virgin is it may or may not matter. Since I see more people detecting with non-waterproof detectors than waterproof ones, and if you have a waterproof detector I would do as Joe Prime suggested and start in the dry sand and work my want into the water so that if someone sees you detecting and decides to join in the treasure hunt, you will have already picked the low hanging fruit. Good luck in your hunt. Looking forward to some awesome finds. Beach Papa

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Thank you all for chiming in... I realized I gave too little info after reading a few posts..

I'm in a tropical country. Sunny all year round except for rainy seasons where we may see more rain...

There's only less than 5 detectorists 'actively' detecting here in my country and we have beaches all around. Most beaches are virgins here...

I understand the part on fresh drops and low lying fruit part the most... Since the beach is strewn with pull tabs and all, I find my limited time of 4 hourly trips concentrated on too much digging. But yet, I can't leave those pull tab signals unchallenged - agree?

Which is why I was wondering if banking my limited time in the water would've been a better strategy... What would you do if it were you?

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:

Your post made perfect sense in terms of digging according to climate.. I wish I understand more about how the raining season here will affect the beach conditions.. Looks like it'll take me years to learn my beaches here...

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
If it is a virgin beach just start anywhere, go in water first, if your not finding anything after 2 hours move to the wetsand....... If it is a virgin beach and not sanded in it want really matter where you start....

That's what I had tried to do but there were so many pull tab and coin signals that I never left the dry... Lol

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:

My tides here changes on a 6-hourly basis... I can usually time the trips on low tides to suit my limited trips.. I find less pull tabs and coins at the low tide lines...

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:

Since there're so few detectorists here, anyone spotting me detecting will create awareness and bring forth more detectorists... (That's how I got started anyway)

In that sense, there really is some virtual rushing...

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Overkill, as his name suggests, is an individual who has posted on this forum in the past. He "over-thought" a lot of seemingly simple questions he posted instead of just getting out there and doing it. He actually presented some interesting ideas along with some crazy ones. Of course many would have said the same thing about Albert Einstein, or Thomas Edison, so he might not be as crazy as some people think.

You never know where the gold is. It probably hasn't moved far from where the person dropped it. So if they dropped it in the dry, it is probably still there, in the wet sand, still there, in the water beyond low tide, still there. People drop good stuff all over the beach. As you will see on this forum, people find gold in the dry, wet and water. As far as pull tabs, I use a CTX 3030 which gives ferrous / conductivity numbers for each signal received. About three weeks ago I dug my first pull tab signal that turned out to be a 14k gold band, so with that thought in mind, you have to dig the pull tabs if you don't want to miss any gold. Pick a method to detect your beach. Cherry pick clear gold signals with a CTX or some other detector that narrows target signals to target identity. Of course not all gold signals will actually be gold (I find a lot of zippers with a clear gold signal) and you will miss some gold that is deep because the CTX is not 100% accurate on targets deeper than 12". Or you could use a PI to clean the beach of everything by overlapping each coil sweep and gridding the entire beach and not miss a single deep target. Whatever method you use, learn your detector, learn your beach and the seasons of sand movement and get out there to have fun, get some exercise and make memories. Happy Hunting, Beach Papa

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Overkill, as his name suggests, is an individual who has posted on this forum in the past. He "over-thought" a lot of seemingly simple questions he posted instead of just getting out there and doing it. He actually presented some interesting ideas along with some crazy ones. Of course many would have said the same thing about Albert Einstein, or Thomas Edison, so he might not be as crazy as some people think.

You never know where the gold is. It probably hasn't moved far from where the person dropped it. So if they dropped it in the dry, it is probably still there, in the wet sand, still there, in the water beyond low tide, still there. People drop good stuff all over the beach. As you will see on this forum, people find gold in the dry, wet and water. As far as pull tabs, I use a CTX 3030 which gives ferrous / conductivity numbers for each signal received. About three weeks ago I dug my first pull tab signal that turned out to be a 14k gold band, so with that thought in mind, you have to dig the pull tabs if you don't want to miss any gold. Pick a method to detect your beach. Cherry pick clear gold signals with a CTX or some other detector that narrows target signals to target identity. Of course not all gold signals will actually be gold (I find a lot of zippers with a clear gold signal) and you will miss some gold that is deep because the CTX is not 100% accurate on targets deeper than 12". Or you could use a PI to clean the beach of everything by overlapping each coil sweep and gridding the entire beach and not miss a single deep target. Whatever method you use, learn your detector, learn your beach and the seasons of sand movement and get out there to have fun, get some exercise and make memories. Happy Hunting, Beach Papa

Hi beach papa,

Thank you for the long input. Appreciate it.
To be honest, I've only started hunting and only done about 15 trips, including those few testing trips to try out my first detector - I got myself a Deus.
After 15 trips, I have lots of trash, coins, a few silver pieces and 2 gold rings.
I read many tips including those on golden olde and was wondering if I can do it a little better by strategizing where to hit first (to clean up most of the accumulated gold)
But it's just a thought... And I'm hoping if someone will share some ideas on such a situation that I'm in...

Hope that made sense..

Cheers!

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I live on a tropical Island in Asia, and I find gold every where, dry sand, wet sand, and the water, although I do find Way more in the water. All you have to do, is go to the beach you want to hunt during the busiest time, and see where all the people are swimming and playing. Then come back when it is the least busiest and lowest tides.(middle of the night), and have at it.

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
I live on a tropical Island in Asia, and I find gold every where, dry sand, wet sand, and the water, although I do find Way more in the water. All you have to do, is go to the beach you want to hunt during the busiest time, and see where all the people are swimming and playing. Then come back when it is the least busiest and lowest tides.(middle of the night), and have at it.

that's really what i need to know.. whether there are more in the dry n wet sand or in the water... and whether to spend my limited time in the water or continue to grid out the entire beach and clean it up for the future detectorists who will join the hobby after spotting me and googling and learning more about MDing in my country... lol...
as for the busy area strategy, i have already been deploying it... though i have not seen it bear fruits yet...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions