Tiger shark vs sand shark?

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
So the main question I have is what is the better more well rounded detector for Florida beaches. I have decided on Tesoro brand. From recent research I have found that Fla beaches are not as mineralized as other beaches. I plan on doing both wet sand and snorkeling detecting.
Also, I know sand shark is a pi and dose not discriminate, is the tiger the same or is it Vlf with discriminate. Are either a multi tone detector too?
Thanks for any info.

Upvote 0

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find the Tiger shark to be limited in its discrimination capability. You cannot pick and choose what to discriminate, there is a dial that you turn with numbers 1-10 As I recall at about #4 you have discriminated out small iron and are beginning to discriminate out pull tabs and small gold. If you turn the dial all the way to 10 you will still get silver/copper clad. You have to experiment to see where the break is on the dial for discriminating what you don't want but still keeping the signals for what you do want. I have understood the Sand shark goes deeper but without any discrimination. With the Tiger, I found the detector to false quite a bit in the water, and definitely in the waves and churning surf. The Sand shark is probably more stable, but again, does not discriminate. The Tiger Shark with small coil does find smaller gold than any other detector I have used, but then how much value is there is small gold? Good luck in your search. Beach Papa

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiger is a VLF machine. It will NOT function properly in salt water, even with the salt mode.
In fresh water, theres no machine any finer for gold.

Shark is a PI machine and is what you will want for the salt.

Tiger has discrimination. Shark does not.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy The tiger shark is for fresh water and the sand shark is for salt water. I have both and in fresh water you can't beat the tiger shark for small Gold. This size ( o ) at 6" all day long.

OP
OP
A

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for the advice, I am going for the sand shark since I'll be in salt water. Sounds like it may be best to run it in zero Disc for max depth. I don't mind digging.
Happy Hunting

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, I am going for the sand shark since I'll be in salt water. Sounds like it may be best to run it in zero Disc for max depth. I don't mind digging.
Happy Hunting
hunt in VCO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread