Upvote 0

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
oroh2o said:
Have a number of class rings found over the years that I have been unable to return etc. Thinking of sending them to the refinery. Are there any other options? The scrap price is $8.75 per gram for 10k right now and I could use the money to buy more 'tecting toys. Approx. 200 grams total. Thanks

The way I see it you tried to find the owners with no luck???? They are yours to do as you please.

I would take pics of them all first just to have something to show you had them, then go get some new toys !!!!! ;D ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found Midwest Refineries to be very fair. They are easy to work with and pay 94% of Spot. http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

You will have to subtract the weight of the stones.

Sandman

R

redstarr

My class ring has been under the water and mud of a lake for almost 10 years. (It was lost there while wading in the lake, my hand got stuck in the mud and the ring slipped off into the deep mud. I know, why was I wading in water with mud that deep? Alcohol fueled youthful indiscretion.) I'm sure exactly where it would be. I have considered detecting with a metal detector for it when the water levels are low, but I'm concerned that when I find it will be in unsalvageable condition. What do yall think? If it was buried under water and mud for that long, would it be ruined beyond recognition, or is there a chance I could wear it again? The ring wasn't just your ordinary class ring, it was all custom made by a jeweler specially for me in honor of winning a state championship and was really beautiful and near and dear to my heart. I'd love to have it back. But if it was ruined completely to the point that I couldn't hope to wear it again, it would break my heart to see it in that shape. So I've been afraid to detect for it. Hopefully someone whose seen what shape things are found in under those conditions can guess for me what condition I could expect it to be in.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your class ring will have no damage or wear from being in the water and mud. Gold does not tarnish. Silver may turn black with oxidation, but it comes out bright an new looking too.

Good Luck on finding it. Make sure you scoop everything up till you get it.

Sandman

R

redstarr

Thanks so much. I'm excited now. I'm gonna have to go out there as soon as the water level are a little lower (had a little too much rain the last couple of weeks). I'm so hopeful now.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sandman is right. it will look like it was lost yesterday once you clean the mud off it. i hope you can find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread