SHARK WARNING

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be worth mentioning that it is that time of the year again. The migrating baitfish are really schooled up along the coast right now and shark sightings in the shallows are commonplace. Just in the past few hunts I've seen a few small ones (3 footers) right up in the washes and shoreline breakers. These sharks are there to feed and the schools of baitfish are thick and dark and they'll be passing all around you - the flashing of hands & feet - well, you get the picture. And it should go without saying, "Probably best to stay out of the water at night right now." Be safe my friends! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I a recent local article, a surfer in a competition fell onto an 8 foot Bull Shark in Folly Beach (or somewhere near Charleston). About a week later in Myrtle beach the same surfer saw a smaller one. About five miles offshore some "fishermen" trailed a 14 foot/700lb tiger shark for about five miles... lassooed the beast tail and drug it in reverse and drowned her. Not commenting on the ethics of that, but the dockside photos are something to certainly give you pause.

Me thinks if they wanted you... they could have you anytime.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a recent local article, a surfer in a competition fell onto an 8 foot Bull Shark in Folly Beach (or somewhere near Charleston). About a week later in Myrtle beach the same surfer saw a smaller one. About five miles offshore some "fishermen" trailed a 14 foot/700lb tiger shark for about five miles... lassooed the beast tail and drug it in reverse and drowned her. Not commenting on the ethics of that, but the dockside photos are something to certainly give you pause.

Me thinks if they wanted you... they could have you anytime.

This really sickens me! I hate hearing how stupid some people are!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
exactly how was that shark harming them?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. It's a cowardly act! They belong in the ocean more than we do. I have nothing against sport fishing as I love it myself.

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
They pursued the shark for a few miles! My guess is that they were chumming...

I believe the article said they were five miles offshore.

There was also the 1780 pound world record monster caught off Cherry Grove Pier in the 1960's

Food (no pun intended) for thought.

Upon further research... they hooked and fought the shark for an hour. When they realized they could not get her on the boat, then hooked a rope to the tail and drowned the shark. Took seven marines to haul her on board. They cut her up and distributed the shark meat to the whole platoon.

Still... I'd have released the shark, but at least it didn't go to waste.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes no difference if it's day or night. Sharks eat all day. Being a Charter fisherman for multitudes of years, some of the largest sharks we've ever caught came from less than 15 foot of water right off the beach.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I try my best to live with nature not against it. She provides u food water shelter. I provide my willingness to preserve and appreciate her.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. It's a cowardly act! They belong in the ocean more than we do. I have nothing against sport fishing as I love it myself.
What is "sport fishing"?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told for many years that the world record or maybe Florida record hammerhead was caught off Jax pier. Is there any truth to this BigScoop? I've been told your one of the most knowledgeable looters in the area and would be the one to ask.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The world record Hammerhead is 1282 lbs caught in a 20' boat in Port Charlotte around the Boca Pass.
They get exceptionally large in the area, foraging on Tarpon.

The record for Jax Pier was back in 75 with a 703lb hammer.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Thanks for info DewGuru! Looking at the surf it'll be wet sand hunting with the old Sovereign anyway. Im too fat and old to fight heavy surf.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call it sport fishing or recreational fishing. You know with a hook and line LD! Sorry it took so long to answer I was out there looking for those sharks Bigscoop was talking about. All I saw were a bunch of 2 legged Maneaters and tooooo much thick, soft sand! I'm done until a storm blasts through and strips some sand off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told for many years that the world record or maybe Florida record hammerhead was caught off Jax pier. Is there any truth to this BigScoop? I've been told your one of the most knowledgeable looters in the area and would be the one to ask.

I have no idea....:laughing7:....Glad Dew had the answer. All I know is that when the baitfish are so thick that they're banging into you and your detector it's probably time to rethink things a bit. :laughing7: This is pretty much what I know about sharks...."some are small and some are too big or big enough"....both the later bothers me. :laughing7:

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A three to four footer passed me in waist deep surf off of Galveston two weeks ago. I used to spend alot of my weekends wade fishing in the surf on the Bolivar Peninsula, near Galveston, Texas. Sharks were everywhere. If you had your catch on a floating stringer, you had to be sure it was not tightly attached to you in case the sharks took the whole stringer of fish, instead of a couple of bites. I remember whipping at them with the end of my fishing rod a couple of times. This was no longer a problem after the introduction of the floating mesh catch bags, mounted on the foam rings, but it still was not uncommon to reel in half of a trout after a shark took a liking to it. What I am getting at is they are not just there, but they are everywhere. I approach it statistically, as I do airtravel. Millions of people in the water everyday and very few get bit. I'll take my chances, and take my Sand Shark swimming every chance I get.

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Millions of people in the water everyday and very few get bit. I'll take my chances, and take my Sand Shark swimming every chance I get.

It's more likely I will be distracted by some bikini babe and fall into a child's bomb crater and break a leg.

Real world concerns...

1) Lightening
2) Rip Currents
3) Two legged land sharks
4) Bikini's
5) Sharks

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly....I don't worry too much about them unless I can see them in close or during those periods when the baitfish are schooled really heavily in the shallows, such as now. And of course, wading at night right now is out of the question. Other then these situations I'm all in.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" September through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks.

Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

The Obama administration acted quickly in response to last month's fatal shark attack of a pulse induction user near Point Pleasant, New Jersey, announcing the appointment of Terry Soloman, as the administration's new Pulse Induction Czar. Mr. Soloman, will be responsible for gathering up all of the dangerous PI machines currently in use, and advising beach hunters to stay out of the water, through his department's "Stay Dry, Stay Alive!" outreach.

"I think it is critical that all water hunters send me these dangerous PI units as soon as possible," said Mr. Soloman. "We can only help those that want to help themselves, and staying completely out of the water is part of that commitment."

While it was not clear at the time of this interview where the PI metal detectors must be sent, Mr. Soloman made it clear that the information would be announced shortly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread