Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$40,000 for a metal detector!

Anyone know of someone who has used one of these, OKM ExP 5000? Hell if they did do what they claim it would be cool to see what's in the ground and cherry pick all the rings, need a lot if them to pay that bad boy off!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the OKM's will probably be mainly used by Archeologists who don't want to dig
unless it's worth while, and even then hire volunteers,
while they sit back and collect a salary.

I say :headbang: Cool on the prices.

at least in my case, I like the anticipation & surprise.
& am doing it at my own expense, for a Hobby, Enjoyment, History, & Hope of striking it rich.

Most Archeologists think they own everything under the ground,
yet do it for Pay & the hope of making a name for themselves
at the Taxpayers Expense.

Soak them :laughing7: at least that Taxpayer money wont go to
War, Spying & more Nazi like laws :unhappysmiley: like signs against detecting

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I saw a surveyor using one on the street to located pipes. I asked what kind of machine is that. He stated it was ground penetration xray. I said dude I need one of those. He laughed, I laughed, then we both went back to work.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked into buying one of those a couple years ago, it's not quite what you think it is - it is imaging, doesn't really show small items - it is looking for caves, empty spots in the earth - huge items.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the-ring-finder is right: All such machines that purport to show shape, have a BIG impediment, that renders them next to useless for the average hobbyist use: Pixel Size. The smallest most highest resolution pixels, are something like 1" across. Thus all the items we normally search for (coins, rings, etc...) are all 1 pixel. Tabs, foil wads, nails, etc... are all just ... 1 pixel. And even things you might THINK would have a shape-showing feature benefit (like a horse-shoe) are simply a messy blotch of pixels.

But sure enough, any time someone sees the advertisements, they have instant dreams of somehow seeing photographic x-ray images of tell-tale shapes (pulltabs verses rings, verses coins, verses car-keys, etc....). I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread