Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been tagged by them a few times. Always feels good to get a barb in the leg or foot.
While most move with the foot shuffle and coil tap, many do not.

OP
OP
F

Front242

Greenie
Oct 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru, do you have any advice on minimizing the chance of getting a barb-induced "good feeling"?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru, do you have any advice on minimizing the chance of getting a barb-induced "good feeling"?
Stingray Shuffle...slide your feet across the bottom...they don't like being pinned down. Knowing that, I still step on a few every Summer but have been lucky and never been stuck.

Last edited:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange you should bring this up. They just showed on local news 5 or so people being treater for stingray punctures. Even though your aware and want to watchout for rays and the like, your mind wonders off and then you get startled or poked by something. For me as long as that coil in low and infront of me I'm good.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if stingrays or other bottom-hiding creatures posed a problem for anyone hunting underwater. I would imagine that indadvertedly poking something like this with a coil would make for one unhappy animal. Any experiences out there?
The problem with Stingrays is the fact they are very stealthy critters , if they are "buried" in the sand can be hard to see until you are on top of them , if spooked the tail could inadvertantly make contact in the rays attempt fro a fast getaway , i guess you could make plenty of commotion under water to scare any hidden rays away from the detecting area but this could bring hungry Sharks in to investigate ( probably a worse case senario ) .
Well known Australian TV identity Steve Irwin was killed by a Ray in 2006 , when the Ray whipped its tail the barb pierced Steve's Heart , you just gotta be careful and treat nature with its due respect .. cheers Mick

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
I was raised on the coast and the best advise i can give is scoot youre feet never step if you scoot youre feet and you bump a stingray it runs but if you step on one usually it will stick its barb in youre calf and ive seen it and been with people where its happend and its not a good thing when the doctor gets through with you. Just scoot youre feet ive kicked many rays over my life time and they have allways ran thank god just dont get in a hurry and youre should be ok. Dont let a stingray keep you from doing something really fun. keep digging dirt

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with Stingrays is the fact they are very stealthy critters , if they are "buried" in the sand can be hard to see until you are on top of them , if spooked the tail could inadvertantly make contact in the rays attempt fro a fast getaway , i guess you could make plenty of commotion under water to scare any hidden rays away from the detecting area but this could bring hungry Sharks in to investigate ( probably a worse case senario ) .
Well known Australian TV identity Steve Irwin was killed by a Ray in 2006 , when the Ray whipped its tail the barb pierced Steve's Heart , you just gotta be careful and treat nature with its due respect .. cheers Mick

It was a very sad day when Steve passed...

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND watch out for jelly fish tentacles caught on seaweed. I will never forget the pain that I went through when I stepped on a tentacle attached to seaweed that I did not see. That was a very big "OUCH" and then some!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shuffle your feet and you'll be fine. I'm sure the coil swinging would scare them away before you stepped there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in Florida, watch out for lionfish. I had one as a pet in an aquarium, I managed to jam my hand down on one of his dorsal spines and had to literally put my finger in scalding water for about 1 hour to kill the toxin.. Hurt like hell. For hours.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a very sad day when Steve passed...

True. Sadly, it was entirely avoidable. Had the left the barb in, he would not have bled to death.
Instinct unfortunately takes over, and a shock like a barb in the chest, first reaction would be to yank it out.

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've stepped on a few never got the barbs who knows maybe it was flounder it usually happened when the water viability was poor. I've noticed that rays also school as I have found myself surrounded by hundreds of smaller ones in the water before. They move fast and just part around you. I don't like sharks myself, I've had some big ones too close for comfort and in poor visibility the small ones will even attack your foot in 2ft of water.

OP
OP
F

Front242

Greenie
Oct 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your feedback, everybody. I guess there's no getting around the old adage, no pain - no gain. Thanks for the Stingray Shuffle tip!

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the Titusville Walmart,in the fishing section I saw stingray shin guards. They look alloy like a catchers guards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread