true UGLY treasure tale - pass the bottle-UPDATE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
once upon a time there was this fellow (ME) who because he had both as a kid with his dad metal detecting found old spanish coins while detecting at the local beach and also heard of several other folks finding 1715 era type spanish coins long ago on the local beach (there are 2 missing ships from the 1715 fleet unaccounted for) the french prize "el ciervo" and the nao "san miguel" of echeverz's fleet (as well as a salvage barcalonga* sent from to the 1715 fleet wrecksites from havana which I later on discovered from my research)--so I later on as a adult -- I was doing some research on the area, looking for whatever shipwreak sites that might be in the area so I could go beach hunting at them for more coins and such --well low and behold if I didn't run across not 1 but 2 old maps that had a old wreak sites ** they were the W. Fuller map of 1769 made for british lord egmont and a 1778 french version of the same map of the amelia island area** it showed the wreaksite as being off what was then called on the maps "sandy isle"---between amilia island and little/ big talbot islands the wreak is clearly marked on both maps --the maps are basically the same map --- they are for captains to use to enter the harbor (the anchorage area is marked on the maps --please note that on the 1769 map the words "small spring" on talbot island most likely the reason they stopped to repair or take water or both (vital needs) the wreak is close to the anchorage, most likely a storm caused them to drag anchor and then it was too late--one of the maps is in french (1778) the other english(1769) -- however the french map notes the word "neufrage" at the wreaksite it means "swallowed up or shattered to bits" as in a total wreak no recovery--as the local indains hated the spanish (they had sided with the french who lived here in 1565 against the spanish - so the spanish were hard on them) they would have likely killed any survivors if any did live.--the maps when linked up with a PS statement on the bottom of a letter written on Oct. 24th , 1715 from the english govenor of virginia (alexander spotswood) to the english home sec. (lord stanhope) discussing the "barcolonga" sent from havana to the 1715 wrecksites to pick up VIP'S and treasure that wrecked "about 40 miles northward of st augustine" told me what vessel was down in the sound --IT WAS THE RESCUE BARCOLONGA SENT FROM HAVANA TO THE 1715 FLEET WRECKSITES !!! -- thus the 1715 fleet type items found there.

great story so far and every bit true look for yourself --check my facts for yourself!!! so now why is it that I'm so willing to share this valuible information with you? --- WELL---when I went to "claim it"

I was told by the state IT AND THE BEACHES AROUND IT are in a state of florida "protected zone" so you cannot legally get at the wreak in anyway and by law are not even allowed to metal detect the beach areas surrounding the wrecksite now days .--- try it and off to jail you can go!!! so if you ever meet me buy me a drink cuz I sure can use one , knowing the treasures is just sitting there and not being able to get it ---is like sitting in hell , having a cool glass of ice water in hand that ya can't drink-- :nono: :crybaby2: >:D :angry5: Ivan

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: a true and UGLY treasure tale -- pass the bottle

Sad indeed to know where something is and you can't get to it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:'(

T

TreasureTales

I feel your pain. I have money in a bank account that I can't touch without a BIG penalty. Isn't that a little like your own situation? You know where there is a pile of money but you can't touch it without penalties--the story is the same for both of us. This sucks! What happened to FREEDOM??

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

That is the worst luck..
Are you able to walk on the beaches closest to the wreck???

Just a thought......... Maybe after a storm comes through you can go eyeballing to see if any goodies washed up on the beach. I can't see any harm in picking up, non beach items, off the beach. ;)
You wouldn't be metal detecting, so it wouldn't be against that law.

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing worse then having an itch you can't scratch!
Also I don't know much on Florida Archeology laws, but from what I've seen in some other posts the state of Florida recently (in the last few years) broadened their influence over the MD'ers along with increasing the penalties and fines for violations.
One person described it as if a pop tab were lost in the 70's it could now be considered an "artifact" and would have to be turned in to the state.

T

TreasureTales

Scribe said:
Nothing worse then having an itch you can't scratch!
Also I don't know much on Florida Archeology laws, but from what I've seen in some other posts the state of Florida recently (in the last few years) broadened their influence over the MD'ers along with increasing the penalties and fines for violations.
One person described it as if a pop tab were lost in the 70's it could now be considered an "artifact" and would have to be turned in to the state.

Hmmm, that just gave me a devious idea. Why don't all the detectorists in Florida mail their pulltabs to the office in charge of these rules and let them know your disdain for those rules? The Pulltab Rebellion...I can see the headlines now!!!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

send them to the Ronald Mcdonald House,they help children with cancer,and it goes towards the chemothearapy,Minelab told me about this

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats alright.There are many treasure sites that are off limits to metal detecting.The good places always seem to be located in a National Park or a "Protected Zone." If it wasn't for the laws,i'd probably be sitting rich and fat right now after I dug up something thats buried in Everglades National Park.So you my friend are not alone.Have a drink on me.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well the update over 4 years later --the state still blocking any access to the site -- but - during the 4 years from then to now ----I found the probile general location of the at least 1 (maybe both) of the 2 missing "major" 1715 fleet vessels due to some old map & archive research I've done ** as well as the likely general wreck site location of the french huguenots fleet as well -- and guess what --THE STATE BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEY ACT WILL NEVER EVER HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT THE DETAILS OF IT FROM ME DIRECTLY. -- THIS KNOWLEDGE WILL GO TO THE GRAVE WITH ME , BEFORE I TELL THE STATE ONE WORD OF IT.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sorry to hear of this...first time to read about it. :dontknow:

Common sense in government is in short supply. If they did have any, they could surely find a win/win for everyone involved. Unfortunately, it forces those who disagree with their stupidity to take steps to avoid it...and the treasures found never see the "light" of day.

Although they do brighten up the lives of a select few. :thumbsup:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
I was told by the state IT AND THE BEACHES AROUND IT are in a state of florida "protected zone" so you cannot legally get at the wreak in anyway and by law are not even allowed to metal detect the beach areas surrounding the wrecksite now days .--- try it and off to jail you can go!!! so if you ever meet me buy me a drink cuz I sure can use one , knowing the treasures is just sitting there and not being able to get it ---is like sitting in hell , having a cool glass of ice water in hand that ya can't drink-- :nono: :crybaby2: >:D :angry5: Ivan
It's statements just like THAT, that makes the cat wanna put on best chesire cat, dumber than a sack-o-hair, blissfully stupid, GRIN, and her smallest bikini, and just go stumbling through there, like she ain't gotta a care or a clue in the world! With that thicker and slicker than, red Georgia clay accent, sounding like she ain't never birthed no babies before!
Just to see how they'd all ACT about it!
I wouldn't give a guy $5.00 to park all day, other day, just cause of his attitude.
And money wasn't the point! I just don't hafta be subject to some peoples attitudes! I can go home, or park for free somewhere else. hehehehehehe
Politicians! (where's the armed smiley face?)Who we need to kick outta Tallahassee this year?

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It truly amazing what the federal and state government can do. With all the new and old laws protecting seagrass, coral (ALL TYPES - INSHORE, NEAR SHORE, AND OFFSHORE), fish, and other marine life the government let's modern treasure hunters destroy it all - why?
Because they have a lease. No one can go in the water off the central east coast with a metal detector and a scoop because it is illegal. It is also illegal to destroy sea grass, and coral which is what the new lease holders do - just as the old lease owners did. Times have changed and so did the laws. Maybe the D.E.P. and other agencies will step in and put a stop to the destruction of the reefs off the central east coast of florida.
Treasure off this coast rest on the hard pan. The hard pan is between 10 to 20 feet below the sand that is under water. Blowing all the sand away over structure destroys new growth of new coral and grass, along with lots of other marine life. That must be why the new lease "owners" require all sub-contractors to pay a big bucks for insurance to hunt for treasure.
No destruction of grass, or coral is done off the treasure coast or any other coast with a hand held scoop, and no spanish treasure will be found either - the treasure is way to deep to find with a hand scoop.

GO TO JAIL FOR HAVING A METAL DETECTOR IN THE WATER! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tarpon192 said:
GO TO JAIL FOR HAVING A METAL DETECTOR IN THE WATER! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
LET"S SEE!
Listen, I'll test 'em all for ya, I got the plan(look up above ya). Ya'll think I'm kidding, ya'll sure don't know me! ;D

If I actually "THOUGHT", I could get away with it! I'd split everything I found, with all ya'll sitting in the bushes, with binoculars, watching me(for protection, of course!), and BAIL MONEY, to get me out if they do lock me up!

And, if they did lock me up, somebody would need to take Fluffy, I mean my Excal home!
I don't poke every hornets nests, but sometimes I like to take a swipe, just to SEE what all falls out!
Wouldn't wanna make any touble for anyone though.(yeah, like right, I see what our city officials, police, and turn their head, for a blind eye, do).

Like I say, who we gonna vote outta Tallahasee this year? (ok cat out, cat will say no more)

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just do night hunting without any flashlights. I go through same thing here in mass with cap cod nat seashore. Written dozens of letters to politicians asking them to ban any arrest for detecting to no avail. You can do drugs walking down the street in this state with impunity but mind your own business with a detector an you will get clubbed like a dodo bird. Its disgusting. HH -Joe

ivan salis said:
once upon a time there was this fellow (ME) who because he had both as a kid with his dad metal detecting found old spanish coins while detecting at the local beach and also heard of several other folks finding 1715 era type spanish coins long ago on the local beach (there are 2 missing ships from the 1715 fleet unaccounted for) the french prize "el ciervo" and the nao "san miguel" of echeverz's fleet (as well as a salvage barcalonga* sent from to the 1715 fleet wrecksites from havana which I later on discovered from my research)--so I later on as a adult -- I was doing some research on the area, looking for whatever shipwreak sites that might be in the area so I could go beach hunting at them for more coins and such --well low and behold if I didn't run across not 1 but 2 old maps that had a old wreak sites ** they were the W. Fuller map of 1769 made for british lord egmont and a 1778 french version of the same map of the amelia island area** it showed the wreaksite as being off what was then called on the maps "sandy isle"---between amilia island and little/ big talbot islands the wreak is clearly marked on both maps --the maps are basically the same map --- they are for captains to use to enter the harbor (the anchorage area is marked on the maps --please note that on the 1769 map the words "small spring" on talbot island most likely the reason they stopped to repair or take water or both (vital needs) the wreak is close to the anchorage, most likely a storm caused them to drag anchor and then it was too late--one of the maps is in french (1778) the other english(1769) -- however the french map notes the word "neufrage" at the wreaksite it means "swallowed up or shattered to bits" as in a total wreak no recovery--as the local indains hated the spanish (they had sided with the french who lived here in 1565 against the spanish - so the spanish were hard on them) they would have likely killed any survivors if any did live.--the maps when linked up with a PS statement on the bottom of a letter written on Oct. 24th , 1715 from the english govenor of virginia (alexander spotswood) to the english home sec. (lord stanhope) discussing the "barcolonga" sent from havana to the 1715 wrecksites to pick up VIP'S and treasure that wrecked "about 40 miles northward of st augustine" told me what vessel was down in the sound --IT WAS THE RESCUE BARCOLONGA SENT FROM HAVANA TO THE 1715 FLEET WRECKSITES !!! -- thus the 1715 fleet type items found there.

great story so far and every bit true look for yourself --check my facts for yourself!!! so now why is it that I'm so willing to share this valuible information with you? --- WELL---when I went to "claim it"

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
ivan salis said:
It's statements just like THAT, that makes the cat wanna put on best chesire cat, dumber than a sack-o-hair, blissfully stupid, GRIN, and her smallest bikini, and just go stumbling through there, like she ain't gotta a care or a clue in the world! With that thicker and slicker than, red Georgia clay accent, sounding like she ain't never birthed no babies before!
Just to see how they'd all ACT about it!
I wouldn't give a guy $5.00 to park all day, other day, just cause of his attitude.
And money wasn't the point! I just don't hafta be subject to some peoples attitudes! I can go home, or park for free somewhere else. hehehehehehe
Politicians! (where's the armed smiley face?)Who we need to kick outta Tallahassee this year?

You are the CAT! :headbang: Best part in big bold! :headbang:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, Ivan...I am very impressed with all that research you did :headbang:

I'm so sorry that the area is forbidden to metal detectorists. Sad story.

Lorraine

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine, love the baby grand, you ready to go the Masters with me next year! LOL!

Randy, you have NO IDEA! LOL!
If they gave me my own personal pages, I could fill pages with stories, all true, btw, most starting with, "Hey guys, WATCH THIS!"

Ever know anyone to get charged with felony vehicular assault, ON AN ORANGE ROAD CONE?
That costs us a lot, but, we, the attorney, and D.A., had the funniest $1000.00 lunch, any of us, ever attended! LOL!

Six months after the "incident", I gotta a swat team in my screen room, at 9:00 at night, to serve a warrent, the hubby is in underwear on the couch, with ear wax remover in his ears.
Yeah! He's a real bad man(thanks to me gong back into the bar, to tell him, "the gas mans here, the gas mans here")!
Cones of the world, WATCH OUT!
I evidently didn't follow close enough, to hide his tag #, when he assualted all those cones, for SPITE!
His mistake, was going back, to get the last one, alone! LOL!

And what's even worse, when they let him outta jail, he couldn't find a pay phone, went back inside to ask to use their phone, had to show his liscence, and they found a 30 year old warrent, for open conatiner on the beach, and wouldn't let him leave, until I coughed up MORE MONEY!
The officer said he couldn't believe they still had that one on the books, for 30 years! LOL!

Lesson to be learned here: When you get away with it once, don't return to the scene of the crime, not even to use the phone!
There's usually NEVER a dull moment around this house! Or anywhere near my insane asylum friends and crew! ;D

(yep, that left side save button gonna get me in trouble here, I'm saying nothing more, I promise!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions