Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Excalibur 2 Metal Detector Sounds and Settings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2014
    Southern SoCal
    CTX3030, 17" coil, excal 1000, 15 WOT remote PP, str8 shaft
    561 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Picked up my *MINT* condition Excalibur 1000 that I bought off craigslist yesterday. 800 bucks. Got to take it to the beach today with a buddy who also has a excal 1000. Pretty much a bust for me but he found 3 rings tied together with in 20 minutes. I'll get better. VERY different than my Garrett AT. On the wet sand it's not so confusing understanding pinpoint null then switching to discrim to target it. In the water? Not so easy. Not yet anyways. Easy to get distracted by current changes and waves. In 3 hrs I found a gold plated earring, 4 quarters, a dime and a few pennies. I can't imagine how hard it is to swing this thing w/o a chest or hip mount. I bought a chest mount. Up next is a Plugger carbon fiber shaft and a remote pin pointer. I can tell this machine is already a beast. I hit a penny at over 2 ft.

zm
    Nov 2012
    637 times
    I hope it was just the wording that was confused during the post and not the actual modes during the hunt.
    It nulls in disc and all metal pp is 1 tone. I'm sure it was just a posting era otherwise the area would need to be re hunted again.
    PP mods available!

us
    Jim

Feb 2015
    Trinity
    Mine lab Excalibur 2
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very informative thank u! I just purchased the Excalibur 2 after quite a bit of research. I hope I made a good decision as it was quite expensive. I almost bought the surfmaster dual. Hopefully I mad the right decision. I should receive my Excalibur by Tuesday February 3rd. Can anyone give me some insight into the Excalibur 2? Thank you! Jim

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    695 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    To add to the Minelab Excalibur talk, I've had mine for 3 yrs now and have no problems (although I had to add an extension for better balance and a knob protector). One of the best metal detectors given discussion with many MDers on the beach. It is a BEACH and WATER machine. Given the multiple frequencies and up to 25khz, it can easily detect small gold jewelry and platinum rings; I know because I just found several on my recent venture to Florida. If you look at metal detectors that are designed for gold, you'll notice that there frequencies run in the 15khz - 18khz range. Most single VLF machines run from about 2.5khz - 7khz or so. Simply put, many low VLF machines are simply blind to gold and must rely on detecting other metals in the jewelry, if possible. Somewhere else on Treasure Net someone noted that their home made metal detector could run at 7khz and 14khz. He noted that his machine was blind to gold when operating at 7khz and could easily detect the gold when running at 14khz. Most single VLF machines out there are coin detectors and not gold detectors. To make matters worse, machines with a lot of processing (e.g., target identification) and imaging require more processing time and a stronger target signal - translation: loss of depth. The Excalibur when running in All metals mode is a deep detecting machine and I find good targets in the 10 - 13" range that are missed by many other metal detectors.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    695 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It will take you a while to understand the subtle sound differences between good and bad targets - prob 40hrs of detecting time or so. Use All metal to detect a target and switch to Discrimination to determine if it is ferrous/nonferrous and what type of target (once you get good at identifying targets by sound). If you hear a target in All Metals and don't hear anything when you switch to Discrimination - the target is deep. Scrape 2-3" of sand away and try again. Dig all targets that are not ferrous. You can also use the All Metals mode to trace out your targets. I found some really nice hand tools on the beach, when things were going slow, and I decided to dig some larger ferrous targets. Use Autosensitivity, the machine will do a great job of being quiet when traveling from dry to wet sand to water and back. Set Discrimination on 1 - don't discriminate. Set your threshold to the lowest that you can hear (or even slightly below). Learn to discriminate the very low, subtle changing sounds that signal deep targets. The Minelab Excalibur is a water machine so take it in the surf, but be sure to rinse it with clean water after each use. It is a great discriminating machine since it provides 17 frequencies that allow fine discrimination of targets or to detect targets that are blind to other VLF machines.

us
    Surrender the Booty

Apr 2011
    Royal Palm Beach, Fl
    Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MedcnnmanRN View Post
    Very informative thank u! I just purchased the Excalibur 2 after quite a bit of research. I hope I made a good decision as it was quite expensive. I almost bought the surfmaster dual. Hopefully I mad the right decision. I should receive my Excalibur by Tuesday February 3rd. Can anyone give me some insight into the Excalibur 2? Thank you! Jim
    Excal II should pay for itself in no time, is it on the wet and water as much as possible,
    Hardest working man on the beach

zm
    Nov 2012
    637 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MedcnnmanRN View Post
    Being a ex owner of a Dual field and a current owner of a excalibur 1000 I'll give my opinion to help ease your mind on weather you made the right choice or not. First off I feel you made a wise choice and spared yourself a lot of aggravation of the dual fields coil flipping up in the ruff surf and from digging the constant supply of iron targets the beach has to offer a beach hunter. There's nothing like not breaking your back anymore digging a target in a constantly collapsing hole in the wet sand just to find that you've just exhausted yourself to recover a iron target. Your choice rewards are your machine telling you "leave this one for the salty sea!".
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    connecticut
    whites dfx , minelab excal II
    Thanks. I'm going to Clearwater next week. Going to start with your settings.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    695 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very informative video about the sounds of different targets with the Excal II. Watched AND listened to the video over and over again and now ready for the beach!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    23639 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View Post
    Very informative video about the sounds of different targets with the Excal II. Watched AND listened to the video over and over again and now ready for the beach!
    Every time the excal nulls rotate 90 and re-sweep, if there is gold by the iron it will show it, that us when it is important to re-sweep nulls from different direction.

Volume is always maxed out and NO discrimination... If target doesn't null dig it......
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

Dec 2013
    14 times
    You can't beat an Excalibur, just dig everything. I bought the TRex sand scoop and made my digging easy. I found a 18K Tiffany ring my first two weeks in South Carolina.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451629796.020637.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	1254182

ca
    May 2012
    Canada
    Minelab, Garett, Fisher, Troy Whtes.
    2 times
    WTG nice catch WTG
    The Best Beach Hunters Dig all Targets
    Silver Seekeers, FMDAC, The Geritol Metal Detecting Gang

us
    Sep 2014
    Southern SoCal
    CTX3030, 17" coil, excal 1000, 15 WOT remote PP, str8 shaft
    561 times
    nice ...One of my excal hunts. Cartier 18k
    RVRoamer66, AARC and bigtimedeal like this.

us
    Ted

Jan 2016
    VA Beach
    Excal,AT Pro
    2 times
    Great vid and lots of good info

Thanks
    Deep or shallow a find is a find
    Keep swinging

Dec 2015
    Goleta, CA
    17 times
    Just ordered an Excal from Kellyco today (Thanks Scott!) so looking forward to trying these settings and recommendations out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links