Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really enjoyed you and your son's enthusiasm and positive attitude, especially about the iron whatever.
Would like to know where the Excal 1000 works best and where the CTX 3030 is better.
Suspect that the ring you identified as silver with a gold center band may actually be white gold with a gold center band.
Especially if it is not a fresh drop and the outer band was not tarnished when found.

Last edited:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
love the father sun team work guys!! : ) i got 2 boys, its a great life

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Really enjoyed you and your son's enthusiasm and positive attitude, especially about the iron whatever.
Would like to know where the Excal 1000 works best and where the CTX 3030 is better.
Suspect that the ring you identified as silver with a gold center band may actually be white gold with a gold center band.
Especially if it is not a fresh drop and the outer band was not tarnished when found.

The silver and gold ring is marked 925 and 14k so I think it is silver on the inside and gold on the outside. I also think that one was a fresh drop. It was not very deep at all.

It is really hard to describe the difference in each machine. I would say the ctx is like the excal, but on steroids. It goes deeper, and it is very sensitive to very small gold. I found a hair thin 10k gold necklace with the ctx. It was not in the video because my wife confiscated that one. I never found any gold chains in 6 years using the excal. The ctx is also more accurate on pinpointing. It is overall just more precise. I never could ID zinc pennies with the excal, but I can with the ctx. I leave them behind if they are shallow. The battery life is longer and the interchangeable coils really make it a great machine, but not in rough surf.

The excal as you already know is not a piece of junk either. The excal is in my opinion an overall tougher machine. You can drop it and be pretty rough with it and it will continue to operate flawlessly. The CTX is more fragile. You have to be more careful with it. I was very careful about cleaning mine and keeping it dry, but it did leak and it went back to Minelab for repairs. They promptly repaired it.

I like both machines, but I think the CTX is an overall better machine because of its ability to ID finds by number, depth and tone, plus the CTX is just incredible on dry land. It is great if you plan on hunting the beach and dry land. I hope that helps. If you have any question, I would be happy to answer them!

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like y'all had some really great summer beach hunting. Nice collection of finds. Love the Excal 1000, but been considering the 3030.

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Looks like y'all had some really great summer beach hunting. Nice collection of finds. Love the Excal 1000, but been considering the 3030.
I love the excal too, but I really do like the ctx better! I would say that is you only hunt water, stick with the excal. If you plan on hunting land, get a ctx, but keep your excal for a backup!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great video. I found an 8.6 gram 10k gold ring that reads the exact same number as a zinc penny...congrats on your finds.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told not to ignore them for that reason. How deep was the ring you found?
It was in waist deep water and I think I got it in one or two scoops. You have to decide if its worth digging hundreds of zincolns to get a gold ring...in three years that's the only one Ive got that reads the same as a zincoln. I love gold so much I dig them. Some silver rings come in as zincols too.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really miss hunting with my sons. Strange, but once they discovered girls it just got harder and harder to keep them focused. :laughing7:

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great summer of finds. You should get a booty box to keep your stuff in. bnbnbnbn.jpg

Attachments

• bnbnbnbn.jpg
    bnbnbnbn.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I like it all.... However, the best treasure you found was a common enjoyment with your son.... Awesome.. Happy Hunting.. Beach papa

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with all, Great vid and some fine hunting. Looks like your son has Gold Fever as bad as you!!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
i hunted with my dad even when i discovered girls, problem was he lost interest in letting me come along with him, he didnt like to share the detector i guess haha

It's only a matter of time until I lose mine. He just turned 15.

Dasseldig

Oct 26, 2012
Dassel, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great summer. About how often did you get out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread