Waders For The Surf

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I have been detecting for a few years now, and I do most of my hunting in and on the salt water beaches. I really love hunting the surf in the Winter months, that's my favorite time of the year for beach metal detecting. I'm probably like the rest of you guys, in that, I hunt anywhere from up to the chair line all the way down to, and out in the water around waist deep or so, depending on the tide, weather conditions, and if the surf is calm or not.

I need a pair of chest waders, but unfortunately I don't have mega bucks to invest in them. I found a pair advertised online and was wondering if any of you have any experience with this particular brand and model. I do like the fact that they are "bootless" and that means a lot less weight for my lower back to have to haul around. I could just wear a pair of lightweight shoes with them, instead of the built-in rubber boot types.

Here's what I need them to be,

(1) Gotta be Comfortable
(2) Gotta be leak proof
(3) Gotta be warm
(4) Gotta be lightweight and not heavy

Please tell me what you think. And if anyone knows anything about these don't hesitate to chime in.. and thank you for any, and all help or advice.

Greg

Field & Stream Neoprene Chest Waders - Dick's Sporting Goods

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please tell me what you think. And if anyone knows anything about these don't hesitate to chime in.. and thank you for any, and all help or advice.

Such a helpful and friendly group! Sorry I wasted my time here ;-)

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't mention water temperatures!! We use wet suits, boots are separate, 2.5mm to 5mm depending on temps! Ray

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Such a helpful and friendly group! Sorry I wasted my time here ;-)

Gotta give folks time to respond Greg. Reddington Crosswater Waders have worked well for me over four seasons with no leaks. be sure to use at least two wading belts. Good Luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want use waders, I think they are dangerous in deep water. I have been walking and stepped in holes 6 foot deep, if waders fill up water they become dangerous.

I have picked up 3 wetsuits at garage sales very cheap, all different lengths, a, shorty, mid length and full length farmer johns. Farmer John's cost most used at $35, other 2 were under $20 each.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with treasure hunter. A wet suit would seem safer.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Those get a good review and a very good price, and I like the sock types better unless it is bitter cold. With the neoprene's put plastic bags on your feet if you have a problem getting into them or out, makes it much easier. I prefer drysuits over the waders but those waders will do the trick.. A belt and PFD will keep you safer Good Luck Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those get a good review and a very good price, and I like the sock types better unless it is bitter cold. With the neoprene's put plastic bags on your feet if you have a problem getting into them or out, makes it much easier. I prefer drysuits over the waders but those waders will do the trick.. A belt and PFD will keep you safer Good Luck Joe

If I could find a dry suit at a good price I would pick one up, not going to pay full price..

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I just got this US Navy Seal Mustang MSD900 Tactical Immersion Work Dry Suit Liner not LBT | eBay
Used it a couple times and kept me dry and warm. The first time I just had on the thermal and drysuit layer and was a little warm, the next time I just used the drysuit with a t-shirt and shorts and was perfect.
As it gets colder I will add the the thermal layer or i really windy & cold I'll use the top - but will probably stay home.
I would go with a drysuit. Keep an eye on this
New NRS Men's Extreme Drysuit with Relief Zipper Large Gray Yellow | eBay
I am going to look into dry pants and a drytop for the spring

Last edited:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fishing & soon for MDing-I always preferred breathable lace boot waders. Good ankle support and ease for walking distances. Also-very light. Could never take the sand intrusion with wading boots. Used gaiters and still hated them. Some peoples preference.
For cold weather/water I just added stirrup fleece pants & wool socks. ALWAYS wear a belt-and a PFD. If you can't see the bottom- slide the lead foot and move slowly.
Some day I will look into wet & dry suits.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree wet suits are the way to go...full suit keeps your upper body, chest, shoulders covered...you can zip down to vent if needed.
They are flexible to work in. Buy a pair of kayak surf booties with a sole on them and your set to go.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could find a dry suit at a good price I would pick one up, not going to pay full price..

SNAG-.jpg
OBN0043.jpg

Attachments

• OBN0044.jpg
    OBN0044.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 122

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Every scoop brings my body into a lower position. I've had too many waves breaking over me to use waders. I think that would be dangerous. Secondly, as much a PITA wetsuits can be, they are refreshing on hot days and keep you comfortable on the cool days.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every scoop brings my body into a lower position. I've had too many waves breaking over me to use waders. I think that would be dangerous. Secondly, as much a PITA wetsuits can be, they are refreshing on hot days and keep you comfortable on the cool days.

I hunt the Atlantic a lot, even in summer in Fla many times water is upside down and cold...

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all very much for the replies, and I do owe each and every one of you a personal apology for my impatient behaviour and my smart remark. Please forgive me for being so quick tempered. I am trying to work on that little glitch in my wiring. I have been kinda bogged down with some personal stuff for the past week or so and those issues just sorta made things worse....Anyway..

I thought about a wetsuit, but I am a big old man 6-2 / 250 pounder and staring at the 60 year mark. I hunt the beaches of N.C. when my health will permit me to do so, and in the Winter I don't mess around too deep in the surf never more than waist deep. And with my lower back problems these days I am starting to hunt shallower, knee deep or so.

As far as the Winter water temps go, I'd say probably somewhere in the 50's would be all that I could or would want to deal with. Mostly, as I was saying above I'm starting to lean more in to the shallower hunting during the dead of Winter season and out in the wet sand up to the dunes as beach cuts and wind / weather conditions permit.
I guess I really need to do a lot of thinking on this choice, I do like the looks of the military survival suits that you guys posted, and I do like the wetsuits, and the waders..... Good Lord !! ..... Which way to go??

Thank you all again, for your help and once again please overlook my statement.

And by the way, .. I am seriously considering getting an Excal and keeping my BHID for a backup, but I'll comeback and ask some questions about that in a few days.

Greg

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, that video is very impressive and a fine example of what can be done in cold water/weather metal detecting. Thank you OBN for posting this, it definately gives me much to think about. I think the best thing for me to do is to keep my eyes peeled and watch Ebay for a good deal on something like this and to not make any rash decisions just yet.

Thanks again

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wait and watch, and go larger then you need, makes on and off easier plus you can layer the cloths if needed.

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
The thicker the suit the more buoyant one becomes, some May have to use belt weights , just to add, tiderider

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread