Broke my At/Pro today

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't been able to get my dirt fishing fix for nearly 3 weeks and our church had an association meeting in another neighboring county so off to the river I went. It was after 3 pm time I got my chest waders on and everything else ready and I decided to change the 8. 5 X 11 coil to the sniper for some close places I've wanted to work for quite some time. The bolt was so tight, I used pliers to get it loose and I guess because I was in a hurry and didn't have much time, I put the bolt back on with the pliers. It snapped off and went flying and this was the one time I didn't have a spare bolt or my 2500 with me. You win some, you lose some. Lesson learned, but I sure felt stupid when it happened. I'll call A & S and get a spare set or two, just in case I pull a bone head stunt like this again. Combine getting in a hurry and arthritic hands and this is what happens. I hate to drive almost 18 miles to metal detect and had the swim park all to myself except for the boats and pulled a stunt like this. Hope the rest of the members had a better detecting day than this.
I heard a suggestion on another forum to use some toilet seat bolts for an emergency and I have a set at my Mama's house and will try that tomorrow.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your day...
I walked an awful lot of beach today for 35¢ of 1970's clad several lead sinkers and my best find...a piece of copper Hull sheathing.
Can't win'em all.

ForumRunner_20131013_181701.png

ForumRunner_20131013_181915.png

Attachments

• IMG_20131013_164623-1.jpg
    IMG_20131013_164623-1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 121

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without mistakes we cant learn. Anyway, tomorrow is another day.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the other hand without mistakes there is nothing to learn.
"All I want is Ups, Ups, Ups " Charlie Brown

"I watch the Sun rise in the Morning and set in the evening
for Another day of Celestial wonders", BC.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all geared up and packed up to take a verrrry long hike early in the morning to a section of beach where I never find anything. On top of this, even with this past history and knowledge, it still seems like the thing to do. :icon_scratch: And you think you're experiencing problems. :laughing7:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least it wasn't more than a coil bolt. I read another post a few days ago where a guy backed up over his metal detector with his vehicle and annihilated it.

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry about your bad luck, similar to mine --walking on some wet wooden steps and slipped, landed in a puddle and broke my arm cuff on the at pro ,just have to ebay a new one i suppose

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy to report the toilet seat bolts worked when I connected the sniper coil to the shaft. I haven't had a chance to test it in the field, but definitely will carry a set from now on. I see on these forums where people put their detectors down and back over them or fall and break them, and I feel blessed that my minor problem is solved. When you can't get out and do any dirt fishing and then you hit a snag, it seems like a bigger problem than it is. I'm hoping I can get to go dirt fishing Saturday, but I will take my 2500 with me as a back up. GL & HH.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gatorboy and Bigscoop, you're just cleaning up the junk targets so you can find the good stuff. Even if I don't find much, I enjoy the outdoors and swinging my coil and wondering what I'm going to find next. Sometimes it's pull tabs or a few pennies, other times it's something good. That's what makes our hobby so wonderful.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home Depot or similar large hardware store have a whole array of nylon bolts that work fine as coil bolts. I think they were like fifty cents a piece for my Tiger Shark and Xterra. I always keep a couple for each in my glove compartment.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fongu at least with the arthritis we are still out there!!!!! I got both knees shot up today.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we all make mistakes when we are in a hurry. I once showed up at a new beach and had no batteries in my CZ-20 and no back up batteries. It was a holiday so no stores were open in that town. I am glad it was only a coil bolt.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about the mishap fondu!
I guess when that happens its time to tape the pro pointer to a stick! :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I busted the little back bracket behind the cuff. The stand part maybe? First trip out on my AT. Oh well coil bolt is another story it must have been really loose and flopping around.
I like the ingenuity shown on here!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a genius by now.
as others have said a minor mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions