Another day, another gold

Southernstyle

Dec 17, 2010
I'll get back to making better videos again soon, I promise. Just spending a lot of time catching up around the house after being in the states for 10 days. Also been spending some extra time getting used to the new Sea Hunter I just got. I had gold fever pretty bad, so I had to get that taken care of....so I used the excal for a few hours. I'm sure the Sea Hunter would have found it, however I may have dug bobby pins for a few hours before I got to it. If any body has a Sea Hunter and knows the little tricks, please feel free to help a brother out.

10 14 13 gold - YouTube

Upvote 0

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vid and good find with the gold band. I have both the Excal II and a SH Mk II. I have to say I prefer the SH over the Excal and here are my reasons.

The beaches here are very clean but I don't mind scooping up bobby pins and pull tabs. I have been using the SH almost daily for the past 3 years and I want to believe I can discriminate by ear although, I still dig everything. The last good find I had I thought for sure was a bottle cap. Good signal but when I moved the coil away I got a "halo" signal. I'm guessing because of the ring's width it caused that "halo" signal.

I don't use the standard trash elimination as it seems to make too much noise in the salt water. I always use the discrete trash elimination setting with threshold and sensitivity set at 2. I don't think I lose any depth running it with those settings and I can only guess that it is equal to the depth of the Excal.

I seldom use it in the dry sand though because of the amount of trash. That's when I fall back on the Excal. Also there are some areas where the sand is only a few inches deep then I hit coral rock. I don't want to waste a lot of time fanning only to see a pull tab in the nook of a rock formation. In those areas I prefer the Excal.

I also really like the fact that the coil and head phones are not hard wired and can be switched out if necessary without having to send the entire unit in for repair.

I'm on my second SH after I wore the first one out. I contacted the company and after trading in my old broke one got my current machine at 50% off with the same warranty.

Continued success out there on that 7 mile stretch of sand.

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video but it would drive me crazy metal detecting down there with all the birds in the water :laughing7:

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, have you ever put the two head to head in a controlled test on gold targets in wet sand? (not air tests) I'd be curious to hear your results.

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Sea Hunter MK II is a nice, tough, bullet proof detector, that as you know finds everything. If your beaches are pretty clean you'll have no issues. If they are trashy you'll find yourself digging your tail off. I sold mine a few weeks ago on ebay due to the trashy beaches I hunt in the Mid-Atlantic. Good luck and HH.

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
Another sea hunter mk2 owner here, I can't say enough about it, very simple to use and robust build and the choice to swap coils and headphones at will is nice, it's not really any secrets to it , just dig , I do have the headphone adapter for koss headphones they seems to be a better set up with volume control , but shallow h20 only , tiderider

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions