A Treasure Hunt

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Treasure Hunt

Mid to late 16[SUP]th[/SUP] century, for many years a constant parade of floundering vessels have been cast upon these shores, several of them richly laden with gold and silver and handcrafted jewelry from distant continents. The inhabitants of this land were fierce and hostile, the survivors of these wrecks stripped of their clothing and possessions, most were killed while few others were placed into slavery. Of those ships that could be reached the Indians quickly looted, these cargoes becoming personal possessions and items of barter and trade. So numerous were these richly laden wrecks that early explorers and seamen would record the sightings of Indians upon this coast adorned with precious metals in a land where there was no natural resource. And this is just the amounts that were salvaged by these Indians, the remainder still laying of the ocean floor, the passing of time and the fury of the sea scattering it about like pieces of shattered glass. Four-hundred years is a long time, the landscape of the coast undergoing constant change, the sands have come and gone and come back again so many times, as if an hourglass in continuous rotation. The progress of modern man has also put his permanent scars upon the landscape, his endless expanse of concrete and stone towers, paved roadways and parking lots.

And yet written history tells us that these ancient treasures are still there, somewhere just beyond our eyesight and reach, yet close enough that many of them have been frequently passed right over without recognition. Nothing appears the same now, and yet the early history of these beaches remains exactly the same. Think these items are out of your reach? Perhaps not. When conditions are right beachcombers often stumble across some of these ancient treasures, the routine morning walk offering up more then just fresh air and a splendid view of the sea. It's doubtful that these lucky recipients are even aware of the possibilities surrounding them, or perhaps below them, the beach has simply offered up an unusual item without reason or explanation. Several years later the item is shown to someone with knowledge but with the passing of time the finder is no longer sure just exactly where the item was found, “Somewhere on the beach, that beach I think?” The beach in question being several miles long. In recent years I can't tell you the number of times I've encountered this same frustrating scenario. “Mom/dad found it on the beach several years ago, but I don't know where.” Shrimp nets, beachcombers, fishermen, developers, tourist, ect., etc., etc., one just never knows when or how something special is going to be stumbled upon within these waters and sand, and most of this by people who aren't even actively looking for it. On the other hand, one can only wonder what's been found by those who are quietly looking for it. Ancient gold, silver, and handcrafted jewelry from distant lands. Been on a real treasure hunt lately?

Upvote 0

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I should have read this after work. Now I got that twiching problem again. Gotta hunt Gotta hunt

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok that does it I'm calling in sick today !

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this day and age the research sources are usually no further then your fingertips. Another good place to start is your local library or museum, historical societies, etc. From these places you will often return with an entire list of new research options/ideas. It's a lot like sorting through a series of good garage sales in search of those hidden gems, the person with the most knowledge is most likely to discover them. In many of the post here in the beach and shallow water forum you can often determine that knowledge was the finder's greatest ally, a couple of consistent posters coming quickly to mind, i.e., "location, location, location." Winter is slowly creeping in, perhaps a good time to set aside some shelf space and spend a little time investigating the possibilities. In the end, you might just be surprised what you find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to write a book since you have a great talent!

Thanks General. I enjoy writing. I do have a couple of "generic" MDing books out there but they are short and pretty generalized, sort of, "getting the feet wet" projects, if you will. But I am currently considering another book - just not settled on the content yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread