Sandman ordered a new Excal II from Big Boy Hobbies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max of VA told me that the hot green was a babe magnet. :headbang:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new Excalibur II and RTG scoop! I share in your excitement, my Excalibur arrives tomorrow!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG Sandman, Congrads on the Green Machine, Are we going to see some road trips like the old days? Keep us informed on your Treasure Hunts!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two ,Great gold getters . :thumbsup: My new one has a short already but it is under warranty so I will be sending her back this week.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Sandman...you have a harem of detectors. :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Sandman! Go ahead and order a straight shaft to make it bearable out if the water. Good luck!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job Sandman. Bart is a great guy to deal with and that Excal should serve you very well. Did you get the 8" or 10" coil to go with it?

Just as an FYI, Anderson makes a chest mount for the Excal that I highly recommend. It gets rid of a lot of weight.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was on the beach swinging a greenie, suddenly got attacked by an entire hoard of bikini clad hotties, their hands grabbing at me everywhere. At the same moment my hunting partner grabbed me by the shoulders and he started violently shaking me, screaming at the top of his lungs, "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" The whole experience was just awful. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Sandman. Bart is a great guy to deal with and that Excal should serve you very well. Did you get the 8" or 10" coil to go with it?

Just as an FYI, Anderson makes a chest mount for the Excal that I highly recommend. It gets rid of a lot of weight.

Thanks Smudge but I make neck mounts out of alum chairs. Drill couple holes add a neck strap and good to go. I tried the straight shafts but I like the detector hanging in front of me while wading. When diving it is on the short shaft.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking of getting me a backup excal I have been pretty hard on mine I have had it for almost two years no problems yet Bart at big boys thanks will check it out

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Was on the beach swinging a greenie, suddenly got attacked by an entire hoard of bikini clad hotties, their hands grabbing at me everywhere. At the same moment my hunting partner grabbed me by the shoulders and he started violently shaking me, screaming at the top of his lungs, "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" The whole experience was just awful. :laughing7:

So funny!:laughing7:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new equipment. I'm sure it'll pay for itself in no time!

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Bart was good to me with my Cz21 purchase! Congrats on the new excal. I still prefer the straight shaft on mine. Maybe I'll try the chest mount, but I had battery wire fatigue after using a hip mount so I'm a little cautious of switching.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart was good to me with my Cz21 purchase! Congrats on the new excal. I still prefer the straight shaft on mine. Maybe I'll try the chest mount, but I had battery wire fatigue after using a hip mount so I'm a little cautious of switching.

I suspect that wire fatique is the weak point of the POD design, regardless of where or how the control and battery pods are mounted.
I had to return my Excalibur ll 1000 after a year of use and found that the wire connection to the battery pod had pulled away.
It was most likely caused by overtightening the ikelike connection to the batter pod, as I have used an extended straight shaft on mine since purchase.
You can easily pull (break free) the wire to head phones, control pod, and the search coil. As this type of failure is often intermmitent - As there are so many wires to jiggle, it is difficult to isolate the faulty connection and can be very frustrating.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I suspect that wire fatique is the weak point of the POD design, regardless of where or how the control and battery pods are mounted.
I had to return my Excalibur ll 1000 after a year of use and found that the wire connection to the battery pod had pulled away.
It was most likely caused by overtightening the ikelike connection to the batter pod, as I have used an extended straight shaft on mine since purchase.
You can easily pull (break free) the wire to head phones, control pod, and the search coil. As this type of failure is often intermmitent - As there are so many wires to jiggle, it is difficult to isolate the faulty connection and can be very frustrating.

Concerning a chest mount like Sandman uses or a hip mount, do you think building/adding in a strain relief (like on electrical cords) would do the trick? I was thinking of leaving ears on my piece of PVC to drill out so I could add two strain reliefs or Cable Glands as pictured.
My apologies if this hijacks any part of this thread!
Cable Glands.jpg

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know I'm a chick magnet with them yellow speakers on my head when I'm out there! LOL
Good luck with your new toy.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your Excal,I'm thinking of getting one for my BD Present:thumbsup:,,HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread