Advice And Opinions On Excal For Beach Hunting

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys, I have been beach hunting with a White's BHID for 7 years or so, and during that time frame I have found some very interesting items, in the shallow water and up on the surf, and dry sand. Now I have reached a point in that, I am feeling like I want something different as far as a main dectector is concerned. I guess you could say that I want to "hone" my skills and be better at what I do as far as beach hunting goes.

The BHID has served me well, and has never let me down. But it's starting to feel like this machine has become sort of limited as to the things that it will do, or should I say the things that I can do with it. For example = It is a "turn on and go machine" and that is a fine thing, but I have reached the point in my humble experience that tells me I want more out of my trip to the surf, than my White's can offer.

I have heard, and read some really good things about the Excal's and I would appreciate all of the input and advice that I can get from you guys that are experienced with this series. For example, does running an Excal in Disc mode affect the machines depth? What is "Reverse Discrimination"? Are they difficult to ground balance? Do they have a tendancy to "false" in the shallow surf like a BHID does? "Does the coil try to float up in the water like a BHID? How do they hold up as far as a durability standpoint, do they last for many years, and are they a "work horse" and ready to go? Do the batteries hold up and last for a long time, or do you constantly have to buy expensive battery packs? Can an Excal be upgraded in any way? Are they heavy?.... And finally.... Is an older model Excal "better" than a newer model or vice versa?

I hope that I have asked these questions in the right forum, and I surely don't want to start a war between the White's supporters and the Minelab supporters. That is not what I am after. I am going to keep my BHID as a backup machine, and let my wifey use (have it) for when she goes with me. As I said, I have just reached a point in this hobby to where I feel like I am "stuck" and I want to move ahead and really get better at what I love to do.:thumbsup:

Thanks for any, and all help.

Greg

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal has a long and proven history both in and out of the water but there will be a learning curve that is going to take some time before you'll start getting the most out of this industry leading beach and water machine, which should tell you a lot. As far as modifying the machine, this is pretty much determined by you. A big improvement can be made by exchanging the stock headphones to something with better performance, a remote switch can also be added so you can conveniently and quickly switch from All-Metal mode to Disc Mode. Aftermarket connectors can allow the ability to swap coils, although you really have to maintain these connectors in order to reduce the risk of running into leakage issues. I use the connectors with little problems now but I'm very conscious about keeping them in a reliable condition. I've not experienced any performance issues by adding the connectors. Once all of this is done, in my opinion, you have the most effective and versatile beach and water machine possible, although even in its stock form it's still a darn good "true" beach and water machine that should easily pay for itself. And don't forget the ability to add a straight shaft, or even a chest mount, both are readily available. Stability and performance can vary a bit from one machine to the next, coil size being one common reason, but once you're comfortable with the machine and its settings you should have no trouble accommodating most any hunting environment while maintaining good depth and sensitivity.

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am considering an Excalibur. I might get the old one with the small coil, cause I can get a good deal on it. But I can get a reconditioned whites beach hunter or surf master I forget what's its called now for the same price, the one with the three lights not the pi machine. Though sometimes I am thinking of getting the ctx since it can do wet salt. But I can't find any comparisons done with the ctx and say perhaps the Excalibur or whites on what goes deeper, and I am not terribly concerned wether it can get tiny gold pieces I would trade that ability for never missing big gold. That said, if I got the ctx does it have to be tuned down so much for the wet salt that I would get nowhere near the depth of the Excalibur in the wet salt. I can't stand running on the wet salt with an unstable machine. I try to use the v3i over wet salt and I have to tune their salt beach program down so much that I can hardly hit a white gold mans wedding band at more than 3 inches, that's useless to me. In fact I had a signal that varied from vdi 40 to 60 to 80 and it turned out to be a quarter at less than three inches. But it's a killer in the dry sand. I am in new jersey, by the way.In the end I would go with the most stable deepest set up for salt beaches here in new jersey so does anyone know which one that is. I would be willing to give up a little depth if the machine had the same discrimination as my v3i but I get the feeling that is the best of both worlds and dies not exist I thought maybe it could with the ctx but it's probably not much different than my v3i. Other than its waterproof.I get the sense people might respond to this with just get a pi machine. But I would rather not get one and dig hundred of caps pins and pull tabs.Do the pi machines have different tones or is it just on or off noise. Which machine could give me with lots of time the range of noises or tones that I would eventually over time know usually what was what before I dug. Do some machines just come of the factory line better than another of the same model and manufacture?

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop....thank you for your reply and you have helped me a lot, but here is the sixty four dollar question... Is there anything to be gained by me choosing an older model Excal for less money, verses a "new in the the box Excal" other than the factory warranty that would come with the "new" one? As long as the older model in question has been properly maintained and well taken care of ??

What's different about the older model Excal's other than the looks? of course (as long as the older one is stock)

And here again..How would someone really know if infact the used Excal had been taken care of ? I guess this scenario would be by trusting the sellers word and that would, or could, possibly be the downside to buying a "used" machine.... This is where the factory warranty would protect the buyer, and be an attractive and positive selling point, correct?

Thanks again
Greg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never purchased a new Excal. Both of the Excals I've owned were the older/used blue models and I can tell you that both of them are still cranking out finds. I think the one I am currently using is a 2001 model and I really put it through some abuse such as pounding surf on a regular basis. What I can tell you about the newer machines is only what from little time that I've actually used them and from reports from other hunters. However, I have played with enough of them to know that some are a bit more stable then others, though this can usually be handled fairly easy by just making a few adjustments to tune the machine to its own individual level of performance. In either case it's really the splitting of hairs because usually these tiny differences have little effect on the end result as far as the working end goes. I've heard tell of some machines not being able to achieve stability and depth but I've never really witnessed much of it first hand unless there was an obvious machine problem. Perhaps OBN can elaborate more as I know he has tested many of them over the years. As far as buying a used machine - that's up to you but I doubt I'll ever buy new again as long as the used unit can be purchased right. Even with all of the mods that I've done to my current machine I doubt that I have $1200 invested in it, and this includes the other coils. It has paid for itself many times over. Sooner or later you're out of warranty, and these days sooner is the norm. After that they all cost the same $$$ to repair. Sites like Ebay/Paypal have pretty good buyer protection so I'm usually not too concerned about buying a used machine through these sources.

One other thing (personal opinion) to add, if I were hunting only the wet sand and very mild water conditions I would probably consider a CTX, but on my area of coast mild conditions seldom present themselves and I do a great deal of water hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Sooner or later you're out of warranty, and these days sooner is the norm. After that they all cost the same $$$ to repair. Sites like Ebay/Paypal have pretty good buyer protection so I'm usually not too concerned about buying a used machine through these sources."

"One other thing (personal opinion) to add, if I were hunting only the wet sand and very mild water conditions I would probably consider a CTX, but on my area of coast mild conditions seldom present themselves and I do a great deal of water hunting."

That is how I got the BHID that I am currently using. I bought it on Ebay as a used machine several years ago, and the first time I took it to the surf it had a threshold/ground problem but it would still hunt. I was very fortunate though, in that the seller that I bought it from spoke to me on the phone, and told me to send it in to White's for repair and he would take care of the bill. And to this very day, other than having it serviced regularly with new rubber seals, it never misses a beat. So, I'm not really worried about buying a used one either, other than maybe if the used machine has been abused or dropped and broken on the pavement or concrete sidewalk at one time or another.

It's difficult to get mild conditions around here as well. Most of the time the wind will change with the tides, and what started out to be a slick and calm morning will be a rough and windy afternoon with possible rip tides. I want an Excal, and the more I talk to you the more I really want to make the change over to one. I'd gladly take a used one with no problems. I think I read that the warranty on a new one was 1 year if I remember correctly, so that ain't really a whole lot, and from what I'm learning they are state of the art machines and are extremely reliable as well.

Ok, I need to sell a really nice White's DFX that I own, or trade it to someone for a nice used Excal.

Thank you again

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is how I got the BHID that I am currently using. I bought it on Ebay as a used machine several years ago, and the first time I took it to the surf it had a threshold/ground problem but it would still hunt. I was very fortunate though, in that the seller that I bought it from spoke to me on the phone, and told me to send it in to White's for repair and he would take care of the bill. And to this very day, other than having it serviced regularly with new rubber seals, it never misses a beat. So, I'm not really worried about buying a used one either, other than maybe if the used machine has been abused or dropped and broken on the pavement or concrete sidewalk at one time or another.

It's difficult to get mild conditions around here as well. Most of the time the wind will change with the tides, and what started out to be a slick and calm morning will be a rough and windy afternoon with possible rip tides. I want an Excal, and the more I talk to you the more I really want to make the change over to one. I'd gladly take a used one with no problems. I think I read that the warranty on a new one was 1 year if I remember correctly, so that ain't really a whole lot, and from what I'm learning they are state of the art machines and are extremely reliable as well.

Ok, I need to sell a really nice White's DFX that I own, or trade it to someone for a nice used Excal.

Thank you again

I'm just one opinion, wouldn't hurt to get some more. But I think most experienced Excal users will give the machine a thumbs up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/I have used the Excal 1000 diving down to 140 feet with no leaks ever. Using the Excal for the first time will get you wondering if you made a mistake as it makes strangled duck sounds. But make no mistake about the Excal makes finds gold rings that are under iron targets. Other detectors like= the BHID will mask out the ring because of the iron. There is little difference from the Excal 1000 and the Excal II 1000. Excal II has an improved battery. The only difference between the 800 & 1000 is just the coil size. The Excal is almost as deep as a PI if you add a WOT coil. Mine is still with the orginal stock coil. But I just ordered a new Excal II from Bart of Big Boy's Hobbies.http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/
When you buy a used Excal you can use it for a long time not knowing if it is working well of not because it is so different. Buy new from a dealer and you will know it is perfect.:hello: Sandman

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Sandman, I really appreciate your input. What you are saying makes a lot of sense and I am absorbing all of the good advice you guys are giving me. I have had some deep, faint hits with the BHID that showed up on the LED's as iron that I did not dig and after I got home and thought about it for a while it kinda bothered me. Because they didn't sound quite like iron signals, I'd bet that I just might possibly have walked away, and left some very nice stuff. Ohhh well, we live and we learn.

But....I'm still trying to get over that wetsuit comment......peeing thing!!!!! ROFLMBO!!!! LOLOLOLO!!! That was absolutely hilarious!!

Nice to meet you Sir, and thanks again.

p/s I'm a 2nd Amendment kinda guy too!

Greg

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Greg,
I just purchased a used Excalibur II from a reliable seller on eBay
and received a barely used machine in excellent, almost new, condition and saved
$$$! After testing it out I found it to be in perfect working order and with the money
saved I am able to purchase a carbon fiber shaft better HP and smaller coil and still be
ahead quite a bit!
One thing, if buying on eBay, make sure it's returnable and if you do buy used get it checked out
By someone who can evaluate its performance right away so you can return within the usual 14 day return window!
Best of luck!
RG

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
As the men have been telling you get and Excalibur. It is a great machine. You will be very happy with it. The Excalibur II is shielded better then the Excalibur. May make a difference may not. Be for buying used I would check out the price you can get at Big Boy Hobbies. I have found they hold their value well and sometimes it only cost a little more to get new. Now if a good deal comes along then that's a different story. But if it is just average used price I would buy new. But really get one your going to be glad you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread