Ordered My New Excal II

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to thank all of you guys for your time, and your advice on my earlier post. I was asking about the differences between the BHID and an Excal for beach and water hunting. I listened to what you good people said and did a lot of research, and watched many, many, hours of videos on YouTube and made my decision.

I ordered myself a brand new Excal II for my Christmas present (from me, to me):laughing7: that should be in my hands sometime during the middle of next week. The very first thing that I am looking forward to besides getting to know it, is of course a straight shaft. I have everything that I need to make one except the lower twist cam lock, and I think I can get one of those from "Plugger".

I am really looking forward to using this new machine, and learning how to get the most out of it.... I can't wait for a good strong NorEaster blow!!!!! Now I need them waders:thumbsup:

Thanks to all

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new Excal II! I know you'll love it.
But waders can get you into deep trouble (unless you were joking!:laughing7: Go with a wet suit!
HH

RG

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the new Excal II! I know you'll love it.
But waders can get you into deep trouble (unless you were joking!:laughing7: Go with a wet suit!
HH

RG

Yep, just runnin' my mouth. Not sure yet about which suit for staying dry in the cold shallows during Winter hunts. I'm pretty confident that I'm going to save up some cash and try to get either a light weight "military survival suit" or a "wet suit". So I'll probably just continue on this Winter season with my usual gig, ... knee boots and cold weather clothing. I'm working on it though, and thanks for the reply!

Greg

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the new Excal, I love mine. You will be finding gold in no time!:hello2:

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, my old BHID has been a good friend, but I'm ready for a change. Now I'm pulling what's left of my hair out .. I can't wait pal!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
not sure if this is a big deal or not, but my dry suit takes about 10 minutes to put on, the wet suit takes about 2 or 3. i get kinda ticked puttin all the dry suit stuff on. But congrats on the excal!

Yep, just runnin' my mouth. Not sure yet about which suit for staying dry in the cold shallows during Winter hunts. I'm pretty confident that I'm going to save up some cash and try to get either a light weight "military survival suit" or a "wet suit". So I'll probably just continue on this Winter season with my usual gig, ... knee boots and cold weather clothing. I'm working on it though, and thanks for the reply!

Greg

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Lord!! .. Fightin' with clothes for 10 minutes would definately tick me off big time! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! :-()

Thanks for the input, HH

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Excall 1000 and an Excal II as my back up. You won't regret it. What kind of scoop are you using? Ray

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply Ray. I have an old 7 inch, long handled RTG aluminum scoop that I have been using for several years. The mouth of it started wearing thin, and so I had the local machine shop to roll and cut me a piece of stainless flat stuff in a semi-circle to match the contour of the existing mouth. I riveted the stainless piece around the existing mouth of the aluminum. Sanded, filled, and smoothed the seams with J B Weld, and re-painted it with aluminum paint. Now she's ready for a few more years in the salt.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a CZ20 for the last 17 years in the water. Been really good to me but it's starting to show its age.
I didn't want it to fail on my Caribbean trip last month so I got a back up machine. A very slightly used Excal II
long story short I never used the cz20 and the Excal found me 15 rings.
Good luck I think you'll be happy with yours.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Ray. I have an old 7 inch, long handled RTG aluminum scoop that I have been using for several years. The mouth of it started wearing thin, and so I had the local machine shop to roll and cut me a piece of stainless flat stuff in a semi-circle to match the contour of the existing mouth. I riveted the stainless piece around the existing mouth of the aluminum. Sanded, filled, and smoothed the seams with J B Weld, and re-painted it with aluminum paint. Now she's ready for a few more years in the salt.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

I am providing this for other members as the information is to late for you to use.
Stainless steel (SS) tips can be ordered from RTG for some or all of the aluminum scoops they make. These SS tips have already been rolled to fit, cut to size and predrilled for the attachment rivets which are also provided in the modification kit.

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate the thought and info. I had one of my old freinds down the road from me to roll a S/S tip for mine and it worked out well. Cost me $10.00 I drilled the holes for it with a Dewalt 3/16 stainless bit, the trick to drilling the holes is to mark the holes using a center punch and then dip the tip of the bit into some kind of glue before drilling (I used common wood glue) it helps the bit to grip the stainless material as the bit gets hot, and it won't burn the bit, helps it stay cool. I know it sounds stupid but it works, and I used aluminum rivets to attach it.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread