1565 & 1715 Items St. Augustine Treasure Coast

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some things are worth more than GOLD... Rich with history St Augustine was very good to me a few years ago... Although I didn't get any silver pieces of eight that season... I did manage a few nice buckles that were scattered along the beach that day.... These buckles came from the 1715 Fleet area....
On my next trip down south, I was lucky enough to score yet even more buckles from the Menendez / Ribault Massacre area of the beach... I found these 3 buckles that date back to the 1575 period... I love the larger buckle, it has an anchor for the latch part of the buckle... Not sure of their worth, but to me they are priceless... Thanks for following my posts... Happy Hunting.... 1715 fleet Beach.jpg Menendez Ribault Massacre St. Augustine 1565 (2).jpg Menendez Ribault Massacre St. Augustine 1565 (5).jpg

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One can only wonder, what befell the men or women, that once wore these items.
Thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
I can't wait till that next wind storm.... Gotta get back there soon

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've been looking at google maps for possible location of the 1565 shipwrecks north of the Cape. Interesting feature in the photo looks like the bow of a ship. Probably just a reef. Any thoughts? I've estimated width of feature at about 20 to 25 feet based on the scale feature on google map. Feature is located on federal land about 16 miles south of New Smyrna.

Attachments

• shipwreck-1565.png
    shipwreck-1565.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 349
  • shipwreck-2.png
    shipwreck-2.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the SE of the white water are similar "puffs" of sand-water from turbulence, just composing different apparent shapes is all.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
IF there is an old ship there, relics would be on the beach.

Is this an area you can detect or dig?

I suspect it is not as it would have been worked already should something be there. But, it's always fun to look and dream...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the buckles. That is some really cool history you are holding in your hands.

If you are finding the buckles- it won't be long, more great stuff is in your search area!

Best of luck to you.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the SE of the white water are similar "puffs" of sand-water from turbulence, just composing different apparent shapes is all.

A likely explanation. The wave probably kicked up the sand on the sandbar. I'll keep searching.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't know but heard that detecting isn't allowed in St.augustine.
Any truth to that?
No WATER HUNTING as far as I know...check with the officials as to the laws now...:dontknow:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All these rules are getting ridiculous!
We're metal detectorists with sand scoops not heavy machinery operators!
I guess they want the big finds left alone until they can stumble across them themselves!
Thanks for the response.
Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All these rules are getting ridiculous!
We're metal detectorists with sand scoops not heavy machinery operators!
I guess they want the big finds left alone until they can stumble across them themselves!
Thanks for the response.
Good luck and happy hunting!
actually its called JELOUSEY

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually its called JELOUSEY

No I would say it is a matter of control and greed followed by even more greed and control (around and around they go).
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, If I remember correctly from Animal House " not all animals are treated equal"!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think it has more to do with self preservation and status. It all comes down to money in the end. Nobody is making a career out of it for free. "It's always exciting when an archeologist makes a new discovery." Only in this case, which has been common over the years, they didn't make the discovery. They just got the call after the discovery was made.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know but heard that detecting isn't allowed in St.augustine.
Any truth to that?

As far as I know, you can detect in the water and everywhere except in the historically sensitive city of St. Aug proper. Also Matanzas is a National park where detecting of any kind is not allowed. The renourishment of Anastasia Island is extensive and there is more going on now in the state park. But hope springs eternal!!:icon_thumleft:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I really think it has more to do with self preservation and status. It all comes down to money in the end. Nobody is making a career out of it for free. "It's always exciting when an archeologist makes a new discovery." Only in this case, which has been common over the years, they didn't make the discovery. They just got the call after the discovery was made.

So true big scoop! Love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions