Scoop advice?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't beach hunt, so I was hoping if one of y'all could provide insight into whether or not a well-made sand scoop would hold up against marble to golfball sized gravel like the stuff we have here in our Texas rivers.

I'd imagine eventually the aluminum lip would fold up, right?

Who makes the best sand scoop?

Upvote 0

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Golf ball sized gravel, yikes! Stainless steel is the way to go but would you really be able to kick in the scoop with gravel that size?

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
I use the RTG scoop, gonna get a stealth too, thats what most of the saltwater guys use. RTG is aluminum and the stealth is stainless. 90 percent of the beach pros use one of those 2 from what ive seen on here.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Golf ball sized gravel, yikes! Stainless steel is the way to go but would you really be able to kick in the scoop with gravel that size?

Golf ball size would be WORST case scenario, as well before that I'd prolly ditch a scoop in favor of shovel and screen sifting!

But your the pro, tell me! Would relatively loose-packed pea and marble size gravel allow these beach scoops to dig in?

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the RTG scoop, gonna get a stealth too, thats what most of the saltwater guys use. RTG is aluminum and the stealth is stainless. 90 percent of the beach pros use one of those 2 from what ive seen on here.

Thanks for the recommendations!

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont do much beach hunting yet, but i have two scoops. One is a long handled stainless steel kick scoop and the oer is a smaller hand held. He holes in mine are about 3/8 inch which would not let the size stone your talking about pass through.

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using an old RTG aluminum scoop for 7 or 8 years now. The aluminum scoops tend to be lighter than stainless scoops, but the draw back with "all aluminum" is that the scoop and point are going to be a much softer metal. And when you use it in very "harsh" or rocky conditions the softer aluminum will not take as much wear and tear abuse as the harder stainless will. I have noticed that RTG and some of the other mfgr's have started adding a stainless lip on the point of their aluminum models. I just rebuilt the point and lip area on my aluminum RTG with a stainless point, and it looks really good. I'm trying to get another year or two out of it, but I personally am looking at eventually replacing my aluminum RTG with either a Stavr or maybe a Stealth which are both stainless scoops. (when I get the buckaroo's to pay for it, that is) LOL!

Hope this helps

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Call wayne at metal detecting stuff, they have a great travel scoop that is aluminum except the very tip is riveted on and is stainless steel..... I love mine...... Also they are located in spring, tx

Dig-It-Scoops

Oct 29, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
If it's loose most good scoops would work. You may want to look for one with a wide opening so the larger stones will fit without clogging.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to everyone for all the wisdom shared here!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI RTG makes stainless scoops also. I use a stainless tipped aluminum scoop from them and like it pretty good. I would probably go all stainless in the conditions you described. They're not too heavy once you get knee deep in water. Here's a pic of the RTG SS tipped model and a smaller all aluminum. You can add the grab handle for $10 which I highly recommend.

Attachments

• image-1270013037.jpg
    image-1270013037.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 133

cashdummy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I would suggest using a shovel. I have 2 aluminum scoops and I wore them both out in semi rocky areas (but I was using them daily up to 9hrs per day) . The SS tips didnt help. I have a SS scoop too but when working in big rock areas the shovel is hard to beat

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to locate a weld/fabrication shop, have them make you one out of 6" galvanized tube, using 3/8" gal. pipe in the same style as the old Miller type scoop handles. At the lip of the bucket have them add a serrated lip, about 1" wide by 3/4 deep, this will really allow you to work/wiggle the bucket into the gravel and rock. When we were hunting the rivers all the time this is what we used, only weighed about 5-6lbs and lasted several years without any issues/failures. The Miller style looped handle also provides you with a lot more leverage and also better balance when the bucket is carrying a load. $100 will probably get you one made if you drill your own holes, we used 9/16ths holes, pretty quick and simple if you use a 1/4" pilot drill first. These buckets/scoops were tough to the task, length of handle being whatever suits you.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is PVC with stainless mesh but I use it in sand not as hard corps as you are asking got it on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you need to locate a weld/fabrication shop, have them make you one out of 6" galvanized tube, using 3/8" gal. pipe in the same style as the old Miller type scoop handles. At the lip of the bucket have them add a serrated lip, about 1" wide by 3/4 deep, this will really allow you to work/wiggle the bucket into the gravel and rock. When we were hunting the rivers all the time this is what we used, only weighed about 5-6lbs and lasted several years without any issues/failures. The Miller style looped handle also provides you with a lot more leverage and also better balance when the bucket is carrying a load. $100 will probably get you one made if you drill your own holes, we used 9/16ths holes, pretty quick and simple if you use a 1/4" pilot drill first. These buckets/scoops were tough to the task, length of handle being whatever suits you.

I'm actually a multiprocess fabricator with a full shop setup here at the house... Haha

That's why I posted this thread!

Wanted to find out what does and doesn't work, see the photos of the scoops y'all recommended the highest... Then step outside and fire up the TIG and save the 150 bucks!

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm actually a multiprocess fabricator with a full shop setup here at the house... Haha

That's why I posted this thread!

Wanted to find out what does and doesn't work, see the photos of the scoops y'all recommended the highest... Then step outside and fire up the TIG and save the 150 bucks!

Well, if that be the case then you are truly blessed for sure. I would look at the Diablo proto type scoops, the T Rex, the Stavr scoops, the Sun Spots, the RTG stainless scoops ... on and on and on and on ... Just google image them, and fire up the torch and the welder, the sky is the limit. You've got the bull by the horns.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Just go get a front loader and be done with it. Oh and a bulldozer to fill in your holes faster. It wont take long to get your investment back. Unless fuel skyrocketed,scratch the whole idea I forgot fuel went into orbit.

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For river hunting with a rocky bottom, you need to use a pick and waterproofed pin pointer, that's about it. Check out Beau Oumette's videos on YouTube. He goes through the gear you need in one video. I bought my pick from Bunk's Arizona prospecting. Great pick. Scoops don't work very well in rocky river beds, I used to do that and went to the pick like Beau.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread