The game starts changing now

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother nature is starting to stir, those northeasters starting to become more evident as we tip-toe into November and December. For those who can, and for those who are still willing to swing their thing on the beach despite the change in seasons then there is, perhaps, no better time to be on the beach. From now through about April/May, depending on the arrival of those warmer southerly winds, the beach will experience a great deal of change, more in some places then in others. All summer long the sand has continued to pile up one heap after the other but now mother nature is slowing gearing up to reclaim a great deal of it. In the months ahead she's going frequently strip the sand from the beach, those deep targets below often becoming exposed, and at least for a short period of time, left unprotected and well within range of your machine. If the fury of the sea gets angry enough some targets will even get cast onto the beach from their underwater haunts. It's usually chilly hunting and sometimes it's down right cold, sometimes even bitter cold, but for many who choose to endure these discomforts it will be worth it, their pockets and pouches often bringing treasure home. It's seldom easy hunting and it's seldom all that much fun, tis the season for the hardiest of the lot and you can bet they're preparing for it, if they're not already prepared, which is far more likely. Now it's just a matter of time, the waiting game, as Mother nature is finally on the move again. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see some deep cuts like last winter. Found a few clad yesterday afternoon and all they seemed at least 12 inches deep. Almost got knocked off my feet by a few strong waves sweeping up the beach. Too much fun. :tongue3:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I am doing circles im so excited. Calm down sponge and take your time I tell my self. Then I start going in circles again. I love this hobby

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
This is the end of my rookie year hunting. I have learned alot from all u pros. Now to put it all together and get my first cobb. Going into overdrive and soak up some booty

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey scoop,......some goodies may get washed out and up from their deeper hiding spots for sure!:thumbsup:

chuck.

Keeping a very close eye on a few areas. :icon_thumleft: But, I just don't think a few days of this moderate "easterly" stuff is going to move things in the right direction. Probably going to be a lot of coins and liter targets scattered about. Not seen much current flowing "across" the beach, mostly just straight in and straight out. Bumber. :BangHead: :laughing7: Going to be at least a few days before we can good a good look at things.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping a very close eye on a few areas. :icon_thumleft: But, I just don't think a few days of this moderate "easterly" stuff is going to move things in the right direction. Probably going to be a lot of coins and liter targets scattered about. Not seen much current flowing "across" the beach, mostly just straight in and straight out. Bumber. :BangHead: :laughing7: Going to be at least a few days before we can good a good look at things.
Thanks for the update...I knew you would let us know whats going on.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the same.
I'd watch for areas that the water may have reached the dune more than look for deep cuts from this.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cut is in replenishment sand at high tide.
The wind already has a southeast component and the sand below the cut is mush.

ForumRunner_20131105_100538.png

ForumRunner_20131105_100925.png

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pics and update GatorBoy...keep em coming...this may do enough to get to some of the Summer jewelry drops. :dontknow:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has definitely done that.
Some beaches that were sloped already haven't cut at all but the water definitely hit the "towel line."

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an long sock. Slide it from open end to the wires. Works for the news announcers, works for me.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has definitely done that.
Some beaches that were sloped already haven't cut at all but the water definitely hit the "towel line."

As "Cliff" noted in another thread, a lot of times what will end up happening is that the surge just drags the upper sand onto the lower beach, giving the beach a different appearance that "seems" as though some sand has been removed, in essence the beach will just appear to be flatter. But if you look real closely once the surge begins to reside you'll notice a complete absence of that gray sand, denser and larger shell, etc., it will still just be mostly "fine sand" with a very heavy line of deposited weed on the upper beach. What you want to see happen is an obvious "sweeping" action of the currents across the beach, something that's going across the grain, if you will, has much the same effect of switching directions with a file. When you see this good things are about to happen wherever this is taking place.

The other thing I look for are the new or developing rips, the best ones being those that form that classic "T" shape. I've also done really well by looking for those newly formed shoreline depressions, you should be able to spot them by simply standing close to the waterline and looking up and down the beach for them. Often at low tide, even after things settle down, you'll still be able to see waves breaking into these depressions. This is where the typical waterline has taken a beating and been pushed back, the force of the constant beating eating into the sand and likewise exposing anything in it's path. Nine times out of ten you will encounter a scattering of shell above these depressions, there will also be a much sharper/steeper slope, and just one or two scoops into this slope will produce shell, black sand and clay, etc. The hunting can even be good 10 - 20 feet above these depressions as blasted items can get easily scattered about.

Once things really settle down you're going to see a lot of "false washes and runnels" on the lower beach, these will develop behind the mounds of sand that have been pushed onto the beach, these soft mounds of sand appearing as "sand flea" cities near the waterline. These false runnels and washes will likewise be soft, the slopes leading into them extremely gradual and also soft. A couple of scoops will reveal only more of the sand sand. Here you might get lucky but I wouldn't count on it. Instead, the runnels and washouts you'll be looking for will usually have strong flows passing through them, their bottoms will be firm and their slopes will be sharper. A couple of scoops will reveal the difference as you'll discover shell fragments, gray sand, and those little balls of clay, etc. This is where the old sand has seen significant movement, that place where heavier and denser items are likely to be exposed.

"The belly of the beach"......not hard to find and usually larger areas of the mid-beach that appear to be holding water at low tide. When these develop as a result of actual sand removal they will feel somewhat hard, they will appear somewhat gray, and they will maintain shell fragments and usually lots of small iron objects. Sometimes these areas can encompass several hundred yards of beach, sometimes they will be much smaller. But either way these are areas where a fair amount of sand has definitely been removed.

Hope some of this this helps.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great points and spot on info there.
As far as the beach I posted a photo of..I see it daily and know it well.
Been here for decades.
Great experienced info you gave however.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those waves are rocking, guess chest deep hunting is out :p

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info...Im a water hunter and know very little about wet sand hunting...thanks Bigscoop.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
All great points and spot on info there.
Been here for decades.
Great experienced info you gave however.

Dude im gonna print out this thread for future cliff notes. Gator im with you on the localism. Been hitting these beaches for other hobbies since the 80s. I used to like the cuts for other reasons. Knarly sandbars. Good luck all.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been here for decades.

And I think that hits the nail on the head, provides a huge advantage when looking for signs of significant change. Prior to moving down here the beaches I hunted never saw any change, pretty much the same all year round, but down here it seems they're changing all the time. Sometimes I was like, "Hey! Who stole all that the sand!" :laughing7: It was really quite the change for me, these beaches stretching for as far as the eye can see and me with this little 10" coil. :laughing7: The other learning curve, "surf"....the waves I usually encountered being those from a passing speedboat in the distance, or maybe a light chop from a comfortable breeze. Stepped into the surf down here and it reminded me of football practice when I was in high school......"how can anyone hunt in this!" It's a wonder I wasn't so disheartened with it all that simply took up golf, probably would have if I wasn't already aware that I totally sucked at that frustrating game. :laughing7: But, great point you made, knowing the beaches you hunt really does a make a big difference. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread